cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 3,464
Message 51 of 65

Re: X1 Yoga (20FR) display freezes/black screen with spinning dots with latest Intel HD Graphics Dri

For everyone else who has the problem that the screen turns black and brightness keys (F5/F6) don't work, the solution is to apply this patch:  http://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/THINKPAD-X-SERIES-LAPTOPS/THINKPAD-X...

Pay special attention to the steps to apply it  (from the readme):

11. Go to C:\DRIVERS\PANEL.
 12. Double-click/Double-tap the file X1CFxLCD.bat.
 13. Follow the instructions on the screen.
 14. Restart the computer after installation.

I'm marking this post as the solution to help people find this information easily.  I believe the problem that is solved by this patch is the issue that most people are experiencing (except for ChrisPerry)

MLDiggs
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,335
Message 52 of 65

Re: X1 Yoga (20FR) display freezes/black screen with spinning dots with latest Intel HD Graphics Dri

This solution has been foolproof. I have not had the problem reappear.  However, I got a notification of a driver update in the Lenovo notification area.  I'm wondering whether I should go ahead and do this update, or will it backfire?

ML

Kirelam
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,147
Message 53 of 65

Hey Guys,

Does anybody know if this solution also works for a other model ( Yoga 3 11 80J8).

i have the same issue described. There is a M5y71 APU in the Laptop and my screen goes black when i update my driver to the latest Intel updated version. With the OEM driver it works fine, but i want to update it!

Thanx in advance...

cpumechanic
Paper Tape
Views: 3,038
Message 54 of 65

Does anyone know if applying this fix before the problem occurs will prevent it?

Thank you very much in advance!

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 3,025
Message 55 of 65

@cpumechanic wrote:

Does anyone know if applying this fix before the problem occurs will prevent it?

If you're asking about the X1 Carbon / X1 Yoga problem, then yes.

The patch module was just updated this week for this exact reason.

http://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/THINKPAD-X-SERIES-LAPTOPS/THINKPAD-X...

So apply that version of the patch and you should never have this issue now or in the future.

cpumechanic
Paper Tape
Views: 3,019
Message 56 of 65

Excellent.  Thank you for letting us know!

cpumechanic
Paper Tape
Views: 3,012
Message 57 of 65

Another question:

Is it safe (or necessary) to install this patch on X1 Yoga systems with OLED displays?

Thank you!

RS1990
Paper Tape
Views: 3,006
Message 58 of 65

If you go back to my posts, it worked fine for me on my X1 Yoga.

@cpumechanic wrote:

Another question:

Is it safe (or necessary) to install this patch on X1 Yoga systems with OLED displays?

Thank you!

If you go back to my other posts, it worked for me with the X1 Yoga.

cpumechanic
Paper Tape
Views: 2,999
Message 59 of 65

Yes, we have seen the need for this on some X1 Yoga systems with IPS displays.  We also have some X1 Yoga systems with OLED and would like to know if this patch is for them also.

The patch specifically states "(Fix) Fix an issue that brightness adjustment does not work on ThinkPad X1 Yoga non-OLED machines after system reset or restoring from backup."

The non-OLED part has me being cautious.  I don't want to mess anything up by trying to make it better.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 2,978
Message 60 of 65

The patch is not needed for OLED.  If you try to install the patch on OLED, nothing will happen.  This is because the first thing the patch does is check whether you have OLED display or not.

The problem that the patch solves, is that somehow OLED driver is installed on non-OLED system.  When this happens, brightness keys don't function, and screen will go black the next time video driver is updated.  This is the specific problem that the patch solves.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors