cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Guru
Views: 1,131
Message 1 of 5

X1 Yoga 2nd Gen - Bitlocker enabled in preload?

I am setting up a new X1 Yoga 2nd Gen system and updating to Windows 10 Creator in the process. Somewhere along the line Bitlocker was enabled in the OS. I certainly did not turn it on and I doubt that the Windows Update did either. This system was a preconfigured variant 20JDS0HV00 purchased directly from Lenovo. The BIOS level was updated to 1.20 as well. Is this the norm now? I only realized that the option was turned on when I needed to restore the OS to a previous day and Acronnis complained. I was able to configure it off and decrypted the disk drive. I wonder if the preconfigured system was spec'd to have bitlocker turned on.

YMMV

P70 XEON 1505, BIOS 2.30, UHD 4k Display, 64GB non-ECC RAM, M3000M NVIDIA GPU, RAID 1 512GB Samsung 951 PCIe-NVMe SSD x 2, 2x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD. EM7455 WWAN
P1. BIOS 1.22,Xeon Processor, 32GB, PM981 1TB x 2, RAID 1
T470s, 16GB RAM, BIOS 1.10, i7-7500, WQHD display, 512GB PM961 PCIe NVMe SSD
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,129
Message 2 of 5

Re: X1 Yoga 2nd Gen - Bitlocker enabled in preload?

This takes a long time to say "sometimes":

https://www.howtogeek.com/234826/how-to-enable-full-disk-encryption-on-windows-10/

It seems to be microsoft.

I saw it in a yoga 920 I was playing with.  I got it without a working OS and I installed a clean copy of PRO and ended up with bitlocker on.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Guru
Views: 1,112
Message 3 of 5

Wow! That appears to be it. I had decrypted the drive in order to do a restore. However, when looked at the drive again just now, Bitlocker is back on and Windows is steadily encrypting all of my files again on the C: partition. I guess I'll just leave it on since the system has an active TPM. Thanks for the education on this. I NEVER would have suspected it and the button to turn off the encryption is at the very bottom of the Windows 10 Update panel.

P70 XEON 1505, BIOS 2.30, UHD 4k Display, 64GB non-ECC RAM, M3000M NVIDIA GPU, RAID 1 512GB Samsung 951 PCIe-NVMe SSD x 2, 2x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD. EM7455 WWAN
P1. BIOS 1.22,Xeon Processor, 32GB, PM981 1TB x 2, RAID 1
T470s, 16GB RAM, BIOS 1.10, i7-7500, WQHD display, 512GB PM961 PCIe NVMe SSD
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,054
Message 4 of 5

Same thing happened to my TPY 370.  Don't know if it was the 1709 update or running the AMT firmware update that triggered it.  Quite a surprise.

It also encyrpted a 2nd SSD I had installed in the WWAN slot (which won't work on production 370 models BTW).  Did it on the fly with no notification.  The SSD was installed after the above updates.

I hadn't signed in with a MS account so it was encrypted but not activated.  On the 370 it took a command-line operation to remove encryption since the disable options were grayed out.

I have to wonder what happens in the case of a board or OS failure, and how one would recover data externally.

An MS document FWIW:  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/device-experiences/device-encryption-for-oe...

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,046
Message 5 of 5

I would guess that the point of making this the default only if it is linked to your microsoft account is that there is a backup of the encryption key on the MS server.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors