Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

06-02-2017

United States of America

4 Signins

32 Page Views

• Views: 32
  • Message 1 of 9

X1 Yoga 2nd Gen Lagging

2017-06-02, 7:00 AM

My X1 Yoga 2nd Gen is 9 days old.  I loaded a minimum of programs (Microsoft Office, Symantec Anti-virus ... and that's about it).  I've noticed that since the first day I got it, it frequently runs into spells of lagging a LOT.  It's especially noticeable when navigating on the trackpad - the pointer lags behind by several seconds - and I can't do anything until it "catches up".  I've turned off all the extra Windows 10 "stuff" (i.e. 'optimize performance') and Task Manager says that I never use more than 15% CPU and 25% RAM - and this is a fully loaded X1 Yoga 2nd Gen.  I've installed all updates, adjusted the trackpad settings, turned off Cortana - and it's still acting like a computer that's 4 years old ... what gives?

Options

83 Posts

02-21-2015

United States of America

209 Signins

1039 Page Views

• Views: 1039
  • Message 2 of 9

Re: X1 Yoga 2nd Gen Lagging

2017-06-21, 3:34 AM

Did this ever clear up for you?  I just got an X1 Yoga Gen 2 as well and am experiencing the exact same thing.  Huge lags - can't even bring up the Start Menu sometimes, it just stalls for 30 seconds or more and then catches up.

I'm current with all drivers and Windows 10 updates.  Re-booted the computer many times.  Just scratching my head. 

11819 Posts

01-02-2010

United States of America

40115 Signins

422014 Page Views

• Views: 422014
  • Message 3 of 9

2017-06-21, 20:32 PM

I have not seen any lagging like you describe.  The only difference I see is that I am using the free built-in MS Windows Defender, rather than Symantec.  You might read this and see if temporarily disabling Symantec might help.  Whenever I disable ANY AV programs, I limit the kinds of things I do.  I am trying to figure out what is causing the delay and I am not suggesting that you run the machine for a significant period without AV.  

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH216423.html

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Options

83 Posts

02-21-2015

United States of America

209 Signins

1039 Page Views

• Message 4 of 9

2017-06-22, 3:57 AM

Thanks for the reply.  I'm not running Symantec but I do use Webroot which historically has been extremely light on system resources (which is why I'm such a fan).  I have the Windows Defender piece disabled.  I'll continue to monitor this closely, for sure, but the lags don't seem to be going away easily.

My other issue with my X1 Yoga Gen 2 is that the screen flickers on any brightness setting under 4 clicks from the lowest setting which I tend to use in the dark.  Just can't catch a break with this machine - my standard X1 Carbon is the far better unit, at least from my early Yoga experiences.

3 Posts

06-02-2017

United States of America

4 Signins

32 Page Views

• Views: 32
  • Message 5 of 9

2017-06-27, 17:17 PM

My experience has improved.  I didn't really do anything except go through the device manager and update each one of my drivers manually.  I think the biggest problem is the touchpad - it really messes up the device - like it's spending way too much time to think about what it is I'm doing when I make a gesture (even if it's just two-finger scrolling or dragging).  Now this only happens for the first few minutes after startup (even though I've disabled all unecessary programs), and is generally good enough afterwards.  Having come from Mac prior to this, such an experience is certainly unsatisfying.

Options

10 Posts

06-25-2017

United States of America

17 Signins

125 Page Views

• Views: 125
  • Message 6 of 9

2017-06-27, 19:32 PM

Can't help you with the lagging, as I also have a new X1 Yoga, i7 7600u, 16gb RAM, 256GM SSD, OLED and am experiencing no lags; I am also using Webroot.

However, I CAN help you with the screen flickering issue, as this one took me a while to figure out, but I finally got it working, and here's how:

1) Make sure you have the latest graphics card drivers installed

2) Right-click on the desktop and click on 'Intel Graphics Settings' to open the HD Graphics Control Panel

3) Select 'Power'

4) Under 'Change Settings for the Plan' you'll see 'Panel Self-Refresh'; it will likely be set to 'Enable'. Select 'Disable' , then 'Apply' at the bottom right.

5) Prosper.

Apparently allowing the display panel to refresh 'independently' of the driver is supposed to save power, but in reality, it just causes that flickering mess at lower brightnesses.

I was really getting nervous with all the talk about low PWM refresh rates so I feel much better now. LMK how it works out for you.

Options

83 Posts

02-21-2015

United States of America

209 Signins

1039 Page Views

• Message 7 of 9

2017-06-27, 21:47 PM

@AndyCapp - You don't need to do any of this.  Lenovo Support shared with me that they know about the low brightness screen flicker and built in a "counter-measure" already.  You just need to open Lenovo Settings and it will activate the counter to the flicker.

I tried it last night and it worked perfectly!  No more screen flicker - WhooHoo!!!

10 Posts

06-25-2017

United States of America

17 Signins

125 Page Views

• Views: 125
  • Message 8 of 9

2017-06-28, 2:22 AM
Interesting. It does seem to have improved. Still, with Panel Self-Refresh turned on, there is still a noticeable flicker whenever the start or end of an interaction occurs (e.g., moving the mouse, typing, etc.). I'm sure this is due to how Self-Refresh works (i.e. not refreshing panel in order to save battery when screen elements are not changing). I will try to get used to this if I can, as the battery savings due to PSR are probably noteworthy.
Options

2 Posts

09-15-2017

United States of America

2 Signins

16 Page Views

• Views: 16
  • Message 9 of 9

2017-09-15, 21:23 PM

I am experiencing the same issue on six X1 Yoga Gen 2's at my office.

If I take users out of the "Recommended/Default" "Balanced" Power Plan and put them in “High Performance” the issue mostly goes away.  However, there can still be some lag situations.  When I say lag - typing, mouse movements (regardless of input method) and scrolling can take several seconds to respond.  Things can compound to the point where a reboot is the only option.

I have done every update imaginable.  Image intensive webpages and multiple tabs open in IE seems to help the problem appear more regularly but I've had issues from Outlook, to Excel, to Edge, to Chrome.  One perhaps commonality with this other user is using we are both using Webroot as our AV.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms