Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

03-23-2020

United States of America

5 Signins

60 Page Views

• Views: 60
  • Message 1 of 2

X1 Yoga 2nd Gen Max Screen Brightness is Low

2020-03-23, 2:17 AM

I replaced the LCD panel (part 01AX897) and LCD cable (01HY980) to fix horizontal lines of dead pixels permanently showing up on my screen. There were 4 such lines when I replaced. 

I followed the manual steps, removing the system board, SSD, WLAN, coin battery, fan, etc in the described order to replace the LCD panel (and keyboard/speakers while I was at it). 

Now it seems that my new LCD panel has a lower maximum brightness. The brightness is low even when I load BIOS. It seems to be about 70 or 80% of what I would expect it to be. I feel like it's missing just the top two levels. It's annoyingly low even in an otherwise unlit room during daytime.

However, during the initial boot screen with the red [LENOVO] logo, spinny loading indicator, and "press enter to interrupt startup" message, the LENOVO logo changes brightness. It initially starts dim, then brightens significantly, then the screen goes black again for a moment before the Windows login loads.

I believe that the Windows login screen (and logged-in desktop) has the same brightness as the initial LENOVO logo screen brightness, before the bright moment. But the black screen in between makes it hard to tell. The change in brightness during boot didn't happen at all during the boot of my old screen, I don't think. It seems, therefore, to be a software or settings issue.

I have tried: 

• Turning brightness to max via: keyboard, notification menu, and display settings
  • Making sure adaptive brightness is turned off
  • Checking BIOS for suspicious Display and Power config settings (nothing looked relevant to me)
  • Checking Lenovo Vantage for updates
  • Checking Windows Update for updates
  • Checking Intel Graphics Command Center for updates
  • Calibrating my screen with Windows Color Management
  • Manually adjusting the screen settings in Intel Graphics Command Center
  • Manually reinstalling all the graphics driver updates from the product support page (this one)
  • Uninstalling apps that interfere with brightness (F.Lux)
  • Creating a Performance power plan

Edit, additional attempts:

• Attempted to roll back my Display Adapter like in this thread, but the Roll Back option was greyed out. 

I did save a backup before I disassembled everything. I have not yet tried loading the backup and seeing if whatever mystery settings I was using load with it. 

Any other ideas on how I can unlock full brightness? 

Answer
Options

4 Posts

03-23-2020

United States of America

5 Signins

60 Page Views

Re:X1 Yoga 2nd Gen Max Screen Brightness is Low

2020-03-24, 0:33 AM

Solved, I think. 

Changed the described registry value from 8200 (default) to 8210. 

https://www.windowscentral.com/disable-adaptive-contrast-surface-go. It is brighter now and the keyboard brightness controls still work. 

Replies(1)
Answer
Options

4 Posts

03-23-2020

United States of America

5 Signins

60 Page Views

• Message 2 of 2

Re:X1 Yoga 2nd Gen Max Screen Brightness is Low

2020-03-24, 0:33 AM

Solved, I think. 

Changed the described registry value from 8200 (default) to 8210. 

https://www.windowscentral.com/disable-adaptive-contrast-surface-go. It is brighter now and the keyboard brightness controls still work. 

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms