Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LawITGuy
Punch Card
Views: 762
Message 1 of 4

X1 Yoga 2nd Gen - Unable to Boot from USB-C

Hi A-- I have not been able to find any support information about this - 

I have a LaCie 500GB USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 SSD Drive, that I would like to boot off of USB-C. When I go into the BIOS during boot (press enter, then F12) I can see the drive listed, but when I select the drive, it returns to the list and does not boot.

I have it set for Both (Legacy and UEFI), and have tried UEFI only with the same results. I have a Corsair USB 3.0 flash drive with the same boot image on it, and it works as expected.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 754
Message 2 of 4

Re: X1 Yoga 2nd Gen - Unable to Boot from USB-C

I have a 2nd gen x1 yoga.  I put a non-UEFI image onto a Transcend 16GB USB-C flash drive from an iso image using RUFUS.  I set the BIOS to turn off secure boot and to boot from Legacy first.  It booted up fine from the USB-C stick.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
LawITGuy
Punch Card
Views: 717
Message 3 of 4

Rufus does not recognize the drive unfortunately. The only difference between the two, is that the Corsair is FAT32, and the LaCie is exFAT. Would that matter?

usb drives.JPG

I've reformatted the drive as FAT32, and am mirroring the working Corsair drive and will test again.

LawITGuy
Punch Card
Views: 709
Message 4 of 4

apparently the drive must be FAT32. It boots now, albeit it is slower than my USB 3.0 Corsair flash drive for imaging purposes for some reason.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors