Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ckdubois
Paper Tape
Views: 3,460
Message 1 of 15

X1 Yoga 2nd Gen - unlock in tablet mode

My organization requires ctrl-alt-del before signing in, and I have noticed there is no way to do so in tablet mode.  The screen also refers to a Windows Security Button, but I don't see any buttons that would fit that description.  I've seen on other threads for other Thinkpads that volume up + power works, but since there's no volume button on the 2nd Gen Yoga, I'm not sure what to do.  Really hoping unlocking won't always require flipping into laptop mode - a minor inconvenience but one I'd like to avoid.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,443
Message 2 of 15

Re: X1 Yoga 2nd Gen - unlock in tablet mode

Hello and welcome,

I confess, this isn't something I've thought about.  Messing with my Gen 1 X1Y, it's possible to make the full keyboard available as the touch option.

I don't know if the "three finger salute" works at login on the touch keyboard, but maybe give it a try.

In Windows, Settings -> Devices -> Typing -> turn on "add the standard keyboard layout as a touch keyboard option".

At the loging screen, touch the keyboard option "key", then select the full keyboard. I believe it will persist as the default.  You could also toggle this in Windows, and I _think_ it will affect the login keyboard option.

[edit] On-screen keyboard isn't available in any configuration _prior_ to pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL so alternative  physical button combination needed.   Above adds "keys" to the on-screen keyboard, but doesn't solve the problem Smiley Sad

<images deleted>

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,434
Message 3 of 15

I have an x1 yoga gen2.  I tried the various keyboard options and couldn't get it to generate a ctrl-alt-delete.  I'll play with it some more and if I can figure something out, I'll post back.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,400
Message 4 of 15

Finally had some time to actually enable CTRL-ALT-DEL requirement.  I see that the touch keyboard isn't available prior to entering that key combo, so never mind...

[edit] I misunderstood the issue.  Problem isn't that the on-screen keyboard doesn't have the required "keys".  Problem is that the on-screen keyboard isn't available prior to CTRL-ALT-DEL (by Windows design) so alternate button combo is desired.

Sorry for the noise,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

ckdubois
Paper Tape
Views: 3,386
Message 5 of 15

thanks for checking at least. Hopefully someone from Lenovo sees this thread and figures out a solution.
Lenovo Employee Rydeen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 3,341
Message 6 of 15

Dear ckdubois,

you can use the Windows button + Power switch combination to act as Ctrl-Alt-Del key.

( Refer to this article: http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/how-secure-logon-windows-10-tablet-without-keyboard )

ckdubois
Paper Tape
Views: 3,324
Message 7 of 15

Rydeen, there is no functioning Windows button on the Yoga 2nd Gen when in tablet mode. The keyboard fully retracts and the buttons don't work. The only button that seems to do anything in tablet mode is the power button, which just puts the computer to sleep. Is there another Windows button that I'm just not seeing?
Lenovo Employee Rydeen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 3,320
Message 8 of 15

Dear ckdubois,

I'm sorry there is Windows button on Yoga 2nd Gen but it is available only on the OLED model.

I didn't realize no Windows button available on non-OLED model.

bergwalek
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,272
Message 9 of 15

I wonder if it's intentional or an accident that there are different onscreen keyboards for OLED or non-OLED keyboards?

Seems like it would be a nice checkbox option to have it or not for the different screen varieties.  I virtually never use the Windows button... normally would has said I don't want it... but in this case it's clearly useful!    

Lenovo Employee Rydeen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 3,265
Message 10 of 15

Dear bergwalek,

Lenovo doesn't provide any special "on screen keyboard" for OLED nor non-OLED. On scrren keyboard is provided by Windwos.  What I meant by previous comment is X1 Yoga 2nd uses the same OLED panel as X1 Yoga (1st) so that X1 Yoga 2nd OLED panel model has Windows button located at lower part of the panel.

I'm sorry for confusing you.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors