cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fieldsteady
Fanfold Paper
Views: 166
Message 1 of 4

X1 Yoga 2nd, How to replace the OLED screen with the IPS one?

In the end of year of 2018, the OLED screen of my X1 yoga 2nd starts FLICKERING, even on the BIOS interface, so I was sure that this is a hardware problem. I was thinking to replace the OLED screen with an IPS one. The previous post is here: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-Yoga-2nd-Gen-Can-the-OLED-screen-be-replac...

However, I bought a new OLED screen (01AX899) and had it replaced in the end. After more than one years, the new OLED screen starts FLICKERING AGAIN now, the same problem as the old one. So I'm finally thinking to replacing the OLED screen with an IPS one. After searching on the lenovo parts website, I found that the possible part number could be 01AX897, 01AX898, 01AY913 or 01LV978. (See https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/ch/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-... )

However, there are some problems:

1) What are the differences between 01AX897, 01AX898, 01AY913 or 01LV978? And what does "TP", "NRM", "LBO", "LGD", "TPK" or"AUO" means?

2) As can be seen from the photos on lenovo parts website, the WQHD IPS screen has one 40-pin connector, while the OLED screen  (01AX899) has two 20-pin connectors. I wonder if the motherboard is compatible with the WQHD IPS screen? In an old post (See https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/Yoga-OLED-upgrade-guide/td-p/4235068 ), it said that they are compatible. However, it didn't say anything about how to adapt the different connectors.

3) I wonder whether the WQHD IPS screen fits into the back lid for OLED screen. Otherwise, I had to replace the back lid also. On the bottom of the OLED screen, there is a Windows logo. On the WQHD IPS screen, there isn't any Windows logo.

I would be appreciated if any information could be given.

Guru
Views: 138
Message 2 of 4

Re: X1 Yoga 2nd, How to replace the OLED screen with the IPS one?

1)  Those typically refer to the different manufacturers of the panels.  Lenovo sources its panels from various suppliers, but they should result in the same performance. 

2)  You'll need to get a 40-pin cable for the LCD display

3)  You'll also need a back lid because the panel is thicker and won't fit on the OLED lid.  

Here are some parts from another thread:

00UR191 // 2560X1440 LCD LED Assembly (ebay for $250)
01AW968 // LCD Back Cover (ebay for $40)
00JT849 // EDP 40-Pin Cable For X1 YOGA 2560*1440 LCD display
00JT852 // LED, CAM, SNSR, Touch, CBL, Yoga

And here's a reference guide to follow on how to take apart and replace the panel: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/HT505031

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Motorola   •IdeaPad   •ThinkPad   •Gaming   •ThinkCentre   •IdeaCentre   •Think Tablets   •Lenovo Tablets

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

fieldsteady
Fanfold Paper
Views: 101
Message 3 of 4

Hi, EricX

Thanks for your reply. And yes, I have read that post you referred to. AFAIK, 00UR191 is for X1 Yoga Gen1, and what I have is a Gen2 version of X1 Yoga. So I would rather find a WQHD IPS screen for Gen2.

However, Most importantly, there are two 20-pin connectors at the back of the OLED screen, connected to the System Board, which also has two connectors (correct me if I'm wrong) on it. For 01AX897, 01AX898, 01AY913 or 01LV978, there is only one 40-pin connector. So the question is that where to connect the 40-pin connector on the System Board?

====================

Update:

I think I've figured out a little bit. The screen is not connected directly to the System Board, instead it may be connected to some boards on the backlid firstly, then to the System Board.

Now, the question is that, what cable to use in company with the WQHD IPS screen (for example, 01AX897)? Is that 01HY981? What other parts do I need?

Many Thanks.

Guru
Views: 71
Message 4 of 4

Hi there.  Yes, the panel has its own PCB which then has a cable connecting to the motherboard.

01HY980 and 01HY981 should work.  Other than the screws to open the device and plastic prying tools you should be set.

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Motorola   •IdeaPad   •ThinkPad   •Gaming   •ThinkCentre   •IdeaCentre   •Think Tablets   •Lenovo Tablets

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors