Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

08-17-2020

United States of America

4 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 1 of 8

X1 Yoga 2nd - No boot on dead battery

2020-08-17, 0:18 AM

Hello all,

I have an X1 Yoga 2nd Gen that had been sitting on a shelf for a good amount of time (over a year). I have got around to turning it on finally, and it won't boot!

The power drain trick and reset button trick only work once in a while - and I got it to eventually POST and say battery is critical and CMOS was reset with WLAN and SSD unplugged. Reset BIOS and re-install NVMe and WLAN - no boot!

I unplugged the battery and read it with a multimeter - 0 volts... deader than dead. I have a new battery on the way, but the laptop still will not boot with the battery removed with or without WLAN and SSD removed. 

I would assume the laptop should be able to boot without the internal battery - but now I am afraid there might be a motherboard issue that is present! Would anyone be able to confirm if the laptop will not boot without a "good" battery in it? I cannot get it to POST into BIOS to even try disabling the internal battery and trying again.

[EDIT]

Forgot to add - one of the times I got it to not power off while trying to access BIOS I ran the diagnostics and everything passed. I am using a 90w USB-C charger that has worked on various Dell, Microsoft, and Lenovo products so I know it is not an AC power issue from that sense. Laptop does not experience any beep codes or anything else to indicate anything is wrong other than the battery was SO dead it cannot possibly charge safely from 0 volts.

Options

11940 Posts

01-02-2010

United States of America

40244 Signins

423589 Page Views

• Views: 423589
  • Message 2 of 8

Re:X1 Yoga 2nd - No boot on dead battery

2020-08-17, 3:38 AM

It should boot with no battery plugged in.  Make sure you disconnect the cmos battery and press the power button with no ac and no battery.  If it still won't boot with just the cmos battery installed, try no battery and no cmos.  Shorted cmos battery can happen  if completely  drained.  It can cause your symptoms.  I've seen it on more than one 1st gen x1 yoga

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Options

5 Posts

08-17-2020

United States of America

4 Signins

35 Page Views

• Message 3 of 8

2020-08-17, 12:38 PM

I tried booting with no CMOS or primary battery, no luck this time either. The power button and keyboard lights/backlight blink for a second and then everything is off again. Tested the CMOS battery is is at 3.022V so it survived sitting on the shelf.

Options

5 Posts

08-17-2020

United States of America

4 Signins

35 Page Views

• Message 4 of 8

2020-08-17, 13:43 PM

Also to add: I get a LOT of coil whine out of the laptop when the dead battery is plugged in and trying to boot it. Now with the dead battery reinstalled and the NVMe drive taken out, I can see the Lenovo splash screen come up and if I keep fighting it I will get into the BIOS.

When I finally get into BIOS I will get the typical Date/Time error and CMOS battery error since it is unplugged - and occasionally the Critical Battery Threshold which is no surprise since it is toast. 

I WAS just able to boot it into a Win10 install USB - though with no HDD installed that makes it a short test.

The odd sticking point is that I can only see the BIOS screen about 20% of the time if the battery is installed and the NVMe drive is removed.

Options

81 Posts

07-15-2014

United States of America

116 Signins

724 Page Views

• Views: 724
  • Message 5 of 8

2021-04-22, 21:23 PM

I have similar symptoms with an X1 Tablet 2nd Gen--with battery and CMOS detached, power connected, I get a brief red blip on the LED but no booting at all. Wondering if a new battery & CMOS will solve it or not. @NavyBOFH, did you get your Yoga fixed?

Options

5 Posts

08-17-2020

United States of America

4 Signins

35 Page Views

• Message 6 of 8

2021-04-22, 21:32 PM

I did! It was the corrupt Thunderbolt firmware issue. I used an Amazon battery to get it to boot and had to use a Dell driver package with the Thinkpad firmware replaced in the package to force the controller to flash since it didn’t see it was on AC power. The Thinkpad utility wouldn’t allow the “skip AC adapter check” flag but the Dell package did. That’s all I can remember. 

Options

81 Posts

07-15-2014

United States of America

116 Signins

724 Page Views

• Message 7 of 8

2021-04-22, 21:40 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. Since my machine literally died while I was using it after years without issues, sounds like I may have a different issue. I get the same brief LED blip whether operating just on battery or just on AC. I have an in-line USB-C meter and can see power trickling in (20.2V, 0.08A). It spikes to 0.40A for a couple seconds when I press the power button, then back to 0.08A.

Options

81 Posts

07-15-2014

United States of America

116 Signins

724 Page Views

• Message 8 of 8

2021-04-22, 22:03 PM

P.S. Wasn't sure which battery leads to test but after a couple of tries, I got 7.8V on the nominal 7.5V battery. CMOS reads 3.0V so that seems okay too.

EDIT:  started my own thread:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Tablet-and-Helix-Laptops/X1-Tablet-2nd-General-sudden-death-batteries-seem-okay/m-p/5076718

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms