Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chrisingrassia
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,294
Message 1 of 24

X1 Yoga 2nd gen SSD upgrade ......really could use some guidance/assistance

Hello out there to the Lenovo community -

I appreciate it very much if you take them time to read this and help me out. I have a 2nd gen X1 Yoga and absolutely love it. Running the i7-7600U w/16gb RAM and a 1TB SSD (Samsung p/n MZVLW1T0HMLH....I opened the laptop to confirm what I have). I do a lot of multimedia projects for work and blog stuff, and I'm running out of space already.

So I've begun the research for a replacement SSD. I've pretty much settled on the Samsung 970 EVO 2TB NVMe PCIe m.2 item because the reviews are amazing, the prices have really come down lately, and I want internal storage and not another external product to have to carry around. Great reviews and seems to be exactly what I need.

I have two questions that I'm really hoping the community can help me with:

1. Is that SSD the right replacement SSD I should be looking at? I confirmed that my current 1TB SSD is NVMe and not the m.2 SATA (it has only the one slot on the right side). Can anyone confirm the 970 EVO has no compatibility issues with the X1 Yoga?

2. I know the X1 Yoga doesn't have a second SSD slot. So how do I get ALL my current data/files and operating system onto the new SSD to just straight swap them? This is really the challenging part for me to figure out since I bought the laptop refurbished pre-loaded with Windows 10 so I don't have the product key or anything.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,284
Message 2 of 24

Re: X1 Yoga 2nd gen SSD upgrade ......really could use some guidance/assistance

As to 1, I'd expect that 970 to work fine, but since I haven't tried it myself I'll leave that to others.

As to 2, that's both easy and hard... just getting the OS moved over isn't a big deal.  The "key" is in BIOS so there shouldn't be any issue with activation.  To install the OS on the new one, first make recovery media - "recovery drive" in the Cortana search box, be sure to tick the "include system files" box in the tool that comes up.  You can make a bootable flash drive that can be used to install the OS on the new SSD.

If what you meant is how do you clone the whole mess to the new drive, that's probably not possible - at least in a one-step clone process.  There currently aren't any external USB/PCIe adapters.  (Actually there's one, but it requires reformatting the SSD differently than the way it's used in the laptop - so it's useless for either the source or the target.)

[edit] As far as I know... it's always worth checking again.  Last time I did (and bought it) it was not usable.

[edit to add] There are desktops with multiple PCIe slots, and desktop cards that can adapt an m.2 PCIe card for use in a desktop.  That would require two slots or cards to pull off a clone, and be an even bigger PITA than an image-and-restore op IMHO.

You can use your favorite imaging software to save a full image of the source drive, swap the new one in, and restore the image to it.  Or, as above, you can copy your data to an external drive, do a fresh OS install using recovery media to the new SSD, and copy your data to it.... and reinstall whatever software you're using.

TLDR: there's no usable external PCIe adapter, so you'll have to come up with some other way to "clone' or install.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

chrisingrassia
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,280
Message 3 of 24

Tons of good info, thanks for the time there.

I used to build computers like 20yrs ago, but never once built a laptop so this is new territory for me. I used to build with IDE cables and jumpers so I even had to educate myself what an SSD was  Smiley Happy

I have about 850gigs of mostly work/blog/video edit projects, but also personal pictures, vacation videos, music, etc.

It sounds like what you're saying is that in order to get my FILES/DATA to the new SSD, I'd need an external HDD. But to get the OS over to the new SSD that's an easy process.   I've been scouring youtube trying to find the best/easiest to understand/most reliable explanation of the process. Any recommendations for vids that you'd specifically suggets I take notes on?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,271
Message 4 of 24

I would assume the 970 EVO but I never used one.  In general, retail drives (like the 970) are tested on all hardware for sale at the time.  The product key is in the BIOS so it will activate automatically if you use the same type of windows (Pro -> Pro or Home-> Home)  People often use commercial products to move the data.  Acronis is commonly used, but I make no recommendations

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
chrisingrassia
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,257
Message 5 of 24

So let's say I buy the 970 EVO as well as a USBc-to-SATA adaptor cable.

Could I use that setup to plug in the 970 external to the laptop to get the OS cloned over?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,244
Message 6 of 24

@chrisingrassia wrote:

So let's say I buy the 970 EVO as well as a USB-C-to-SATA adaptor cable.

Could I use that setup to plug in the 970 external to the laptop to get the OS cloned over?

No.  The 970 is a PCIe/NVMe SSD.  As I attempted to explain, there are no external adapters (that are usable) for that drive.

The 970 will have to be installed in the laptop to access it in any way.

Cloning in the usual sense (SSD direct to SSD) is not going to be possible.  You will have to pull an image (with something like Acronis - paid - or some free software) to an external drive then restore that image once the new SSD is installed.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

chrisingrassia
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,238
Message 7 of 24

I've read that if I'm going from a Samsung SSD to a new Samsung SSD, I can use their free Migration software which has great reviews out there. Is that what you mean to use to create the image? Is that "image" what I would be referring to as all my data/files?
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,233
Message 8 of 24

I'm not familiar with the Samsung software.  No doubt others here can provide some information.

When I say "image" I mean a full backup: OS, data, installed software, the whole thing.  It's in a format that can be used to restore the whole deal to a blank drive as a  functioning system.  That's not the same thing as simply copying your files and data - which would not include your installed software.

Z.

chrisingrassia
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,225
Message 9 of 24

@zoltanthegypsy wrote:

I'm not familiar with the Samsung software.  No doubt others here can provide some information.

When I say "image" I mean a full backup: OS, data, installed software, the whole thing.  It's in a format that can be used to restore the whole deal to a blank drive as a  functioning system.  That's not the same thing as simply copying your files and data - which would not include your installed software.

Z.

Forgive my possible ignorance here. But **if** the Samsung software could do a whole system image.....wouldn't the image file need to be saved to something external in order to copy it over to the new SSD? So I'd need a 1TB external drive to save the image file to, create a USB flash drive to boot from and to get Win10 to the new SSD before copying the Samsung Migration image file to the new SSD. Is that right?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,219
Message 10 of 24

@chrisingrassia wrote"
Forgive my possible ignorance here. But **if** the Samsung software could do a whole system image.....wouldn't the image file need to be saved to something external in order to copy it over to the new SSD? So I'd need a 1TB external drive to save the image file to, create a USB flash drive to boot from and to get Win10 to the new SSD before copying the Samsung Migration image file to the new SSD. Is that right?

Again, I'm not familiar with the Samsung software.  I don't know if it's capable of saving an image, or is intended to just clone SSD to SSD without an intermediate image being saved to and read from an external drive.

You're mixing two different things here.  Image save and restore (or cloning if you can find the right adapter) is not the same thing as making a recovery flash drive.

If you can - with whatever software - save a full backup image (which includes the OS, your data, your programs) that's all you need to restore to the new SSD.  It will include everything: OS, data, programs...

The USB flash drive is used when you want to reinstall the OS as it came from the factory (Win 10 + Lenovo stuff) on your new SSD.  It will not include anything you have installed. You could then add your saved data and reinstall your programs by copying it from some saved archive.  That's not an image - it's just some saved files.  BTW, you should make a recovery flash drive to keep handy whether you use it for this project or not.

I'm sorry but I don't think my attempts to explain all this are getting much traction Smiley Sad Hopefully someone more able will step in ...

Z.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors