cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
michele654
Punch Card
Views: 17,392
Message 1 of 6

X1 Yoga 2nd gen power - slim tip to USB-C adapter?

I have several slim-tip power adapters for my 1st gen x1 yoga, please tell me there's a converter to the USB-C out there...

Do I have to replace all my adapters?  Already looking at having to replace the dock.  I miss the dock on my x200t... 

I know, I'm old.  Punch card old to be specific  Smiley Wink  I'll have you know they just shut down the punch card classes at my high school when I got there, so I took electronics instead.  So I'm a little newer than punch cards...

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 17,392
Message 2 of 6

Re: X1 Yoga 2nd gen power - slim tip to USB-C adapter?

I believe that there are no adapters or converters and I think it is unlikely there ever will be.  The slim tip adapters was simply 20 volts between 2 contacts with a center signal pin that had a resistor connected to ground.  The signal pin was used to give the maximum wattage.  The USB-C adapter can put out 5v, 9v, 15v or 20v and there is a complicated negotiation that goes on between the laptop and the AC adapter.  The same AC adapter can charge a 5V phone or a 20V laptop over the same USB-C connector.  Without the negotiation, the laptop won't charge or run off of AC.  My X1 Yoga gen2 adapter won't work with other (older) machines and the older adapters won't work with it, but it will charge my phone.

BTW, I have used punched cards.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
michele654
Punch Card
Views: 17,350
Message 3 of 6

Will any USB-C power adapter work? I'm assuming yes, with all that negotiation going on. Might be the one bright side to having to get new power adapters...
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 17,339
Message 4 of 6

I have only used Lenovo-branded adapters.  I have read accounts that say that some Dell and Apple chargers work.  Saying they all will work is probably too much.  Manufacturers often have their own interpretation of the specs

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
DarkHeartBear
Paper Tape
Views: 16,797
Message 5 of 6

SERIOUSLY?  I have all these back up batterys for my overseas trips.  Now none will work because of the USB-C power change?  I have all Lenovo x1 yoga 1st Gen, now getting more of these Gen2 units.  The traveling sales people use massive external batteries on the overseas trips that connect via the old slim tip..  There is no conversion? Please say its not so.  

chx
Token Ring
Views: 14,190
Message 6 of 6

Those batteries and universal chargers typically come with various tips.

HP has a 3.0mm and 4.5mm converter  while Dell opted for separate converters: also 4.5mm and 7.4mm

Finally, there's this Kickstarter https://elecjet.com/products/anywatt?variant=2101223194651 which is supposedly good for Lenovo chargers but this company is sketchy AF because they are selling a Magsafe connector which, in general, is not available and Apple has a tendency to shut them down.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors