cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sdgmcdon1
Not applicable
Views: 762
Message 1 of 7

X1 Yoga 2ndGen OLED - Ambient Light Sensor?

Has anyone ever seen the ambient light sensor on this machine actually work? 

I've had the machine for months and have only ever been able to adjust the screen brightness manually and I cannot for the life of me find a setting to turn on/off the ambient light sensor as it appears to be either off or defective. 

Thanks!

LSR19
Not applicable
Views: 564
Message 2 of 7

Re: X1 Yoga 2ndGen OLED - Ambient Light Sensor?

I'm also having this problem on my X1 Y2G OLED. 

In addition, the keyboard backlight does not work properly - whether set to low, high or auto, the keyboard backlight turns off when I boot and whether it's daylight or pitch black in the room, the keyboard backlight doesn't respond.  I have to manually turn it on and off.  Is this happening to your machine as well?

drholliday
Not applicable
Views: 554
Message 3 of 7

I've posted before about an issue that seems consistent with the X1Y2, but no ones seems to notice - and Lenovo doesn't care give a sheit, at all. They never responded to ANY of the support requests and have never responded a single time to any of my previous postings about the issue.

If you have auto-backlight on, AND auto-brightness, the brightness will adjust correctly (just aim a flashlight to the left of the camera. The screen will brighten and the keyboard light will turn off. Remove the flashlight and the screen will dim...but the keyboard won't re-enable. Turn off the auto-screen brightness and the auto keyboard will work fine. 

So you end up with a choice of auto keyboard or backlight, but not both. It seems to be a problem with the way the Intel Sensor Solution's data is handled. Looks like the Intel video driver may be eating the message ("sinking") but it's hard to tell with the hack method that Lenovo's own driver mods and custom software may be reading the data stream. Hell, it's probably a bug in some completely unrelated program of theirs.

Kinda defeats the purpose of having the sensor when they can't even get something this simple working!

The sensor itself usually works fine - as long as you have the Intel Sensor Solution (ISS) driver installed, at least for video. You also have to have the System Interface Foundation installed to make the keyboard lights work with auto. Otherwise, you can only choose the hardware driven Off/Low/High values (and Vantage won't show Auto).

You can disable auto-brightness (assuming you have the ISS driver installed) in Power Options (Right-click on battery in task tray). Choose "Change Plan Settings" for the selected plan, then edit Advanced. Under the tree for Display, you'll see "Enable Adaptive Brightness". That's the auto-bright setting. If it doesn't show (or under the Win10 settings Display for "Change Brightness Automatically...", it's usually because you don't have the ISS driver (or a full install of the Intel Graphics Driver).

LSR19
Not applicable
Views: 542
Message 4 of 7

My X1Y2 is exhibiting the same aberrant behavior as you describe.  Specifically:

• If display auto-dimming is enabled, my keyboard's backlight does not turn on following a cold boot or a resume no matter what it's setting may be (low, high or auto).  The backlight turns on momentarily at the outset, but at some point while Windows loads it turns off and stays off.  I have to turn it on manually.
  • If display auto-dimming is disabled, the keyboard backlight turns on and operates as it should (low, high, and auto) following a cold boot or resume.  

Prior to your post, I had not realized that the misbehavior of the keyboard backlight was tied in to the display's auto-dimming setting.  This is plainly a bug, and it would be nice if Lenovo patched it.  I'm not sure how to get Lenovo's attention, but I'm going to try.  

drholliday
Not applicable
Views: 537
Message 5 of 7

I've made a previous post, but not a single response/care/thought from Lenovo (or any of their reps/previous reps). There was one other user which noticed the bug too. Here's a link to my previous post: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-Yoga-2-auto-keyboard-backlight-vs-auto-scr...

It would be nice if they fixed this issue. So far, we had a dozen of these deployed at one time. I've pulled most of them because of other reasons...not hardware related directly. This was my personal unit that I noted the issue on. The bad support from Lenovo made me nix a server order that came across my desk - if they weren't willing to support a simple issue like this (and not even telling me to go away when I filed a support request; no response at all), I wasn't willing to chance if an issue arose on thousands of dollars of server gear. I've been deploying Fujitsu laptops instead lately. I really hope that somebody will spend a few minutes and fix this simple bug (or open up the source so that I can fix and recompile a new driver!). Good luck!

rima_aras
Not applicable
Views: 469
Message 6 of 7

I have X1 Yoga 2nd Gen, non-OLED screen but had trouble with some hotkeys (F keys). At the same time, the keypad auto light and screen auto brightness did not work. This update solved the issue. Might help with your laptops as well.

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds120449?caps=true

drholliday
Not applicable
Views: 460
Message 7 of 7

It's not that the keyboard auto or screen auto-bright doesn't work. It's that they won't work at the same time. See the other thread I posted previously...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors