Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

24 Posts

05-15-2018

France

26 Signins

329 Page Views

• Views: 329
  • Message 1 of 8

X1 Yoga 3 stuck on black screen at boot.

2018-05-15, 23:14 PM

Dear Lenovo forum,

after less than one week of use, today I entered the BIOS to modify the "Thunderbolt BIOS Assist Mode", also to disable the "Trackpoint" as both of them are required to use Linux effectively in this laptop [so it seems].

After doing that, the laptop is now stuck on a blank screen, no bleeps or anything. I can shut it down, then the black screen comes, it is not possible to access any meny as the screen just remains black. Keys and leds do work, also pressing F1 after boot makes the laptop bleep.

I have tried using the reset pin, the laptop shut down but no change. What's the next step to proceed.

Best regards, E.

p.s: This is a X1 Yoga 3rd gen i7 8650U + 16GiB.

Given the price of this laptop, the large number of issues including in my case, bad sleep support (missing S3), pen stuck inside case requiring a support call, bad behavior of trackpad and fingerprint reader on suspend, etc... it is fairly disheartening.

I wonder if MS convinced you to make such a mess in order to sell more Surfaces, I dunno, but the experience was not good and a lot of valuable work time has been lost in what it is a top professional laptop == that's a no go.

Options

24 Posts

05-15-2018

France

26 Signins

329 Page Views

• Message 2 of 8

Re: X1 Yoga 3 stuck on black screen at boot.

2018-05-16, 16:03 PM

So let me rephrase my query, is there a way I could reset the BIOS of the X1 Yoga 3 without access to the screen?

I guess that I could try pressing the key sequence in the proper order, but that's hard to know without the same laptop in front.

I would appreciate if some X1Y3 owner could tell me what the key sequence for restoring BIOS defaults is.

Options

1 Posts

05-31-2018

United States of America

3 Signins

68 Page Views

• Views: 68
  • Message 3 of 8

2018-05-31, 3:03 AM

Hi,

I have the same problem, also after enabling the thunderbolt assist BIOS setting.  Did you ever find a solution to your problem?  Did you end up returning the machine?

I tried the following (none of which worked):

• disconnect main battery
  • disconnect cmos battery
  • letting it sit without cmos or main battery for a half hour
  • holding down the reset button for 10 seconds
  • holding down the power button for 10 seconds
  • booting on AC power only
  • booting on battery power only

I still get a blank screen during POST. 

I called hardware tech support, and they quickly suggested I send them the machine and they will replace the display.  This seems like the wrong diagnosis to me.  Shouldn't a simple reset of the CMOS/BIOS settings fix this?

Lenovo support (or anyone!) please suggest a solution to the blank screen problem on the X1 Yoga gen 3. 

It seems I how have a very nice looking, but very expensive, paper weight.

Thanks,

William

Options

24 Posts

05-15-2018

France

26 Signins

329 Page Views

• Message 4 of 8

2018-05-31, 13:52 PM
Hi William,

indeed this is exactly the same bug I had 100%.

I have on-site support so a technician came and he told me the only solution was to change the motherboard.

That fixed the problem and so far the laptop has been working great.

Good luck!
Options

6 Posts

06-12-2018

United States of America

8 Signins

143 Page Views

• Views: 143
  • Message 5 of 8

2018-06-12, 15:46 PM

I know I am a bit late to this post, but I have experienced the same issue.  I modified the same setting one week ago and my system refused to boot to anything but a black screen.  I just got the system back from repair (motherboard was replaced) and the same issue occured once again.  Sadly, I did not encounter this thread until after I changed the setting again, so I must send the system back again.  I have been trying to contact someone to report this bug, however, no one is able to pass this along to the BIOS team.

Options

24 Posts

05-15-2018

France

26 Signins

329 Page Views

• Message 6 of 8

2018-06-12, 15:49 PM
Hi Onyx,

sorry to hear that; I must say that I was lucky to have the motherboard replaced on-site, and I changed the setting with the technician in front.

It worked fine.

However still some strange stuff such as DMIdecode reporting the laptop to be a 2nd gen X1 ...
Options

6 Posts

06-12-2018

United States of America

8 Signins

143 Page Views

• Views: 143
  • Message 7 of 8

2018-06-12, 15:57 PM

Thank you for your reply.  I am glad to hear that you were able to get the issue resolved.  However, it is slightly concerning that DMIdecode is reporting the system to be a second generation X1 Yoga.

Options

24 Posts

05-15-2018

France

26 Signins

329 Page Views

• Message 8 of 8

2018-06-12, 16:08 PM
Yeah the least we can say is that the hardware implementation is "a bit" unpolished this time.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)