Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

24 Posts

05-15-2018

France

26 Signins

329 Page Views

• Views: 329
  • Message 1 of 3

X1 Yoga 3G / X1 Carbon 6G: Hard reset for BIOS

2018-05-18, 20:43 PM

Hi folks, a quick question due to problems I am having with my Yoga: the laptop doesn't boot, nothing appears on the screen, but I am convinced that a BIOS reset will fix it.

Is there a way to force the BIOS to default values [akin to removing the battery on old computers]

Thanks!

p.s: I've tried the "reset" button on the back but that didn't work.

Answer
Options

11867 Posts

01-02-2010

United States of America

40172 Signins

422754 Page Views

• Views: 422754

Re: X1 Yoga 3G / X1 Carbon 6G: Hard reset for BIOS

2018-05-18, 21:47 PM

If you disconnect the main battery and the coin-cell (cmos) battery (with the machine unplugged), it will reset the BIOS to defaults BUT don't do this if you have a BIOS password and I suggest not doing any sort of work on a machine that is still covered by a warranty.  Normally a gen3 yoga would have a warranty.  If you disconnect the batteries anyway, leave them disconnected for 15 seconds and press the power button a couple of times to drain capacitors.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

Replies(2)
Answer
Options

11867 Posts

01-02-2010

United States of America

40172 Signins

422754 Page Views

• Views: 422754
  • Message 2 of 3

2018-05-18, 21:47 PM

If you disconnect the main battery and the coin-cell (cmos) battery (with the machine unplugged), it will reset the BIOS to defaults BUT don't do this if you have a BIOS password and I suggest not doing any sort of work on a machine that is still covered by a warranty.  Normally a gen3 yoga would have a warranty.  If you disconnect the batteries anyway, leave them disconnected for 15 seconds and press the power button a couple of times to drain capacitors.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

24 Posts

05-15-2018

France

26 Signins

329 Page Views

• Views: 329
  • Message 3 of 3

2018-05-18, 21:54 PM

Hi rick,

thank you very much for the information, your help is really appreciated.

Indeed I am waiting for a technician to come to my lab, however it seems that based on my diagnostic they have ordered a motherboard FRU and those seem badly backordered [model 8650U].

As I really need the laptop working now, I'll try to convince the technician to come and do the reset procedure [and fix the pen which came stuck by the way].

Thanks again, E.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms