Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Monarchco
Paper Tape
Views: 302
Message 1 of 4

X1 Yoga 3rd Gen BSOD when plugging in eGPU

So I know the eGPU doesn't produce sufficient power to power the laptop(it does 30w, when the laptop wants 45 or 60w), but I don't understand why that'd potentially cause crashing. To clarify crashing still happens when I plug it into the thunderbolt 3 non-power port as well.,

I have gotten it to work SOME TIMES(enough to install Nvidia drivers, and the eGPU enclosure drivers), but most of the time it just crashes my system. And it happens almost immediately after plugging the egpu in.

For further clarification, my Dell XPS 13(with far inferior specs... 4gb ram, 8250u), has no issues with the eGPU enclosure and works perfectly with it. I'd just obviously rather use the eGPU with the more powerful cpu and more ram... 4gb is rather restrictive, but that laptop serves the purpose as a travel theater anyways(good screen for movies, not so bad headphone dac, and with the 8250u an amazing battery life).

Specs:

X1 Yoga 3rd gen with 8650U & 16gb of ram, 1440p hdr display

OMEN Accelerator with ASUS GTX 1080 Strix

Lenovo Employee hawkins1
Lenovo Employee
Views: 272
Message 2 of 4

Re: X1 Yoga 3rd Gen BSOD when plugging in eGPU

If you could provide more details regarding the Blue Screens (specific error, stop code, etc) and if you by chance have any crash dump files - I'd be glad to take a look and see what I can find out for you. I have experience in analyzing these and can't guarantee an exact cause but I can certainly give you some analysis.
Monarchco
Paper Tape
Views: 234
Message 3 of 4

During writing this it crashed again, with the error WDF_VIOLATION, but typically it lists a System Exception error.

I've found that if the egpu is connected before system boot its typically fine(including plugging it in, the system crashing, then rebooting), but if it gets connected when the system is running it'll crash.

That being said I have had an issue with it disconnecting randomly(even though I'm not unplugging it), that is unique to this thinkpad, and not my other thunderbolt systems, then it'll reconnect. Sometimes it reconnects without issue, mostly the reconnect will cause bsod.

I have the dump file and can send it to you. How would you like it sent(e.g. dropbox, google drive, etc - its 840MB)?

Lenovo Employee hawkins1
Lenovo Employee
Views: 215
Message 4 of 4

Whichever works best for you, simply PM me the link and I will take a look for you.

Also, to clarify - when you say that it runs fine when you connect it prior to boot, do you mean that it will continue running without crashing or that the sequence of crash/reboot is different.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors