Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 325
Message 51 of 78

Re: X1 Yoga 3rd Gen Battery Life Less Than 8 Hours

@Philip55555

Sorry the power pack URL must have been session-dependent, I fixed it in the post.

On the volume buttons, you mean you want to adjust the volume while the laptop lid is closed, instead of opening the lid and using the keyboard buttons?

On the subject of battery life, I suggest this pragmatic approach: Halve whatever number the spec says, and you will be happy Smiley Happy. This has worked for me for many years. I can't control how the various manufacturers spec battery life!

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Philip55555
Fanfold Paper
Views: 324
Message 52 of 78

bananamam 

the bottom line is have you spent your own hard earnd cash on an x1 yoga?

send me the link to the lenovo external power supply for the uk.

i would be happy with half 15 hours. 

the dell latitude 7390 has buttons on the side of the laptop that work even in tablet mode - the x1 has keybord short cuts but will not work in tablet mode. 

please let me know why you are challenging my actual experience? I have both x1 yoga and 7390 2in1 and the yoga battery life is rubbish compared to the dell. 

are you just another poster creating the mess that stops the problem being solved?

Philip55555
Fanfold Paper
Views: 306
Message 53 of 78

bananaman we are talking about expensive bits of kit and if you are just creating noise with your random posts please stop. 

joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 290
Message 54 of 78

The product page does state "The ThinkPad X1 Yoga delivers up to 15 hours of battery life."  That's ridiculously optimistic for just about any scenario, but unfortunately manufacturers are allowed to do this. I wish manufacturers would be mandated to also list the 'down to' numbers: how quickly can you run the battery down when at max brightness, max CPU and GPU load, and max Wifi and SSD use. My guess is that would be in the 1hr range.

If I may promote my own post.. In post 7 in this thread I argued that best case, doing just about the lightest possible work with a pretty dark screen you could get 8-9hrs of battery life. The suggestion to take the 'up to' stated battery life and halving it is pretty good, but for the X1Y3 even that is still quite optimistic. Whether you get 8 hours or say 4 hours depends a lot on screen brightness but mostly on workload.

Another user wrote "4.5 hrs max (likely less) using Excel, Word, and a few websites is just absurd.". It's not great, but unfortunately it's not absurd. I would have guessed something like 5.5hrs at 75% brightness, so 4.5hrs is disappointing, but not way out of line. If you took the 15h at face value though, I can understand being disappointed.  

Edit: I do find it intriguing that a Matebook would be able to provide double the battery life, see this post in this thread. I would love to find out how that's possible. Same/similar CPU, similar actual brightness in nits? If so, you'd hope that Lenovo engineers would be all over that laptop to find the magic that makes it possible!

drjochen
Punch Card
Views: 275
Message 55 of 78

I am down to about a max of 3 hours of battery life on my X1 Yoga 3rd gen, so that would mean dividing the advertised time by 5, not by 2....... I have now stopped using it for business travel. 

drjochen
Punch Card
Views: 271
Message 56 of 78

I did the Matebook comparison way back when and I still stand by my numbers. I am writing this on the Matebook with the screen at 60% and the battery is at 90%. Windows tells me 9h31m left, battery bar shows 9h02m. If I use it just with Word, Outlook, web, it will last all day (min 8 hours). The Yoga battery was empty before lunch. And no, I am not affiliated with Huawei in any way Smiley Wink
joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 270
Message 57 of 78

@drjochen wrote:

I am down to about 3 hours of battery life on my X1 Yoga 3rd gen, so that would mean dividing the advertised time by 5, not by 2....... I have now stopped using it for business travel. My Matebook X1 Pro gets around 7-8 hours on regular use. 

Incredible! Have you been able to pinpoint what is using the most battery? I still don't have a good sense whether there are just X1Y3 that have a larger idle power draw, or whether some machines use more power for the same task. 

Personally I've never seen a disagreement between reported power draw and real world battery life. Installing a utility like BatteryBar and monitoring the power draw under different conditions you can for example figure out how much the screen contributes (look at power draw at lowest and highest brightness). I'm also interested in the idle power draw, when the screen is at its darkest, how much power draw is remaining with no apps open? 

On my system BatteryBar now claims 3h45min average battery life at (10% degraded) 48Wh full capacity, suggesting that my average power draw is close to 13W. Pretty high, so maybe I should do some more investigating myself as well. 

drjochen
Punch Card
Views: 268
Message 58 of 78

I have both laptops right next to each other. Let me try out and get back to this forum later today.

YOGAbbagabbro
SCSI Port
Views: 265
Message 59 of 78

Bananamam fixed the link - they don't need to send it to you - just go click it (again).

And to preempt any unreasonable reaction, i'll prefeace that I have posted here many times about this specific machine and subject - I'm not here to defend Lenovo - my opinion of their failure here is clear - nor does Bananamam need defending, but...

Bananamam is a moderator here, and they've been here for a long time. You seem pretty aggressive toward them and I'm not sure why - I've read your posts/their replies and I'm not sure why you feel 'challenged' about your experiences? Some of your statements were incorrect or vague (vol. keys: X1 has them. Just not the kind or placement you prefer, which is valid but different; the battery charger in UK, etc). Asking for clarity is different than challenging ones experiences, and I'm not sure why you're conflating them? And it's not at all necessary for one to have facts or an opinion about a product w/o having bought that specific product 'with their own money' or whatever...that's not an argument, and I don't think you actually believe it is.

No one is challenging your experience, but at the same time, kitchen sinking and overreaction to simple clarifying questions are not going to further your cause or anyone elses. It might feel good to indulge, but it's also diluting the thread. You may well disagree and even claim I'm somehow attacking you, but that's not my intent. I'm interested in your experiences as are likely the rest on this thread, but if your contribution is just to make a few (some debunked) claims and attack the mod, no one is going to listen.

Thinkpad X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, Lenovo TB3 Graphics Dock, Samsung UH 750 QLED UHD 4K Monitor
NealD85
Fanfold Paper
Views: 263
Message 60 of 78

Assuming you're using Windows 10, I would suggest using the following command "powercfg /sleepstudy" from an administrative cmd line. This will give you a much better idea of what used the most power, listed under the "Power Estimation" sections.

You can also run "powercfg /battery" if you'd like a report that's easier to view the rate at which your battery drains. Please note this report will not give details on power consumption by process.

Hope this helps.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors