Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 402
Message 71 of 78

Re: X1 Yoga 3rd Gen Battery Life Less Than 8 Hours

@YOGAbbagabbro wrote:

Oh, wanted to note I don't have Steam or Vortex components installed. I prob have default WMR and some Nvidia drivers for the external gpu.

Thanks. I changed too many things to determine what - if anything - made a difference, but right now I'm able to get 5.5W power draw at 50% screen brightness (500nits HDR screen) while typing in this text box, and 6W if I keep Edge open and type continuously in Word. I'm on power mode "better battery" in the left click battery menu. 6W at 50% brightness with small load is closer to what I got in the early days.

Things I did: disabled the NvTelemetryContainer in autoruns, as well as three Oculus entries (OVRService, OVRLibraryService, Oculus_ViGEmBus). I also installed this fix (again?) that was released a while back to help deal with a CPU that wouldn't throttle down when plugged in. Not sure if that one ever got distributed over Vantage. 

Again, I have no idea if any of these made any difference, but whatever the reason, I am back at reasonable power levels that should easily get me 6-7 hours. Let's see if this holds.

And yes, if anyone knows of a good tool that monitors the power draw from processes and system components, that would be great! Android does a great job at this, and iOS is pretty decent too. Surprising that Windows has nothing similar. 

AlexXXL
SCSI Port
Views: 357
Message 72 of 78

When you feel your system works overloaded without any reasons, you may open task manager and check how CPU is utilized. If it runs at full speed (GHz) and utilized by 50+ percents, seems something heavy is running. 

Go to details page of Task Manager and sort apps by CPU usage. Heavy apps will be on top, so you can check what eating your battery.

MG85
What's DOS?
Views: 240
Message 73 of 78

I am getting around 3.5 - 4 hours. I had the laptop for less than 6 months.

I also experience extreme heat out of this one. I technically can't have it on my lap because it could give me a serious burn if left for 15 minutes.

Does anyone have a similar issue with heat and battery? Could this be a software update thing? or I should seek a replacement? 

Capture.PNGCapture2.PNG

happychappy
Paper Tape
Views: 99
Message 74 of 78

I too had poor battery before doing a few tweaks to reduce the background load on my computer. Now I can reliably see reported battery life of 19-20 hours on idle, and at least 12 hours of video runtime.

I needed to disable pretty much everyting that wasn't relevant in the Task Scheduler, and undervolted, and enabled a quicker low power state in ThrottleStop (reducing the ns to 1 for C7, C8, C9 - I clicked on the C10 button). I have also disabled turbo on battery profile. Have a look here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/guide-improving-battery-life-on-windows-enabling-deeper-c-st....

You also need to enable better power management in the power plan:

Services that I disabled included all of the Lenovo ones, except for the hotkey service and PM service. Also disable all the Lenovo tasks in the task scheduler (except for. You need to expand the submenus.

One huge energy hog is the task scheduler and service for Dolby and Realtek (Rtk) - disable them. Windows Audio will still work, but the lack of processing will help battery life immensely while watching videos. I was getting woeful battery life (around 5-6 hours on moderate brightness) previously. Now it is up to 12-13 hours if I watch at low brightness. For example, while streaming H264 video, I was able to get 1.5 hours viewing time with around 12% capacity used.

Turning off all the reporting and telemetry settings from Windows 10 also makes a difference and preventing apps from running in the background under privacy settings.

For your convenience, I've attached a bat file that changes the Settings (you need to right click and run as administrator). Note, backups will stop working as certain services have been disabled, and you may need to reneable Lenovo PM Service and the Lenovo hotkey service. Use this at your own risk!

TL;DR: you should disable all background tasks that are not essential to the functioning of the computer and ramp up the power saving options.

happychappy
Paper Tape
Views: 97
Message 75 of 78

Forgot to attach the file to disable services. You will need to unzip and run with admin privileges by right clicking on it and selecting "Run as administrator".

I have the i7 8550U with 16GB RAM and HDR 500 nit display.

YOGAbbagabbro
SCSI Port
Views: 84
Message 76 of 78

That's very detailed and informative. That anyone owning this machine would need to delve into this kind of breadth and depth just to attain ballpark run time compared to Lenovo's advertised run time - and on low screen brightness, breaking many automated features and including some backup/sync functionality - is so beyond reason that only a few would ever bother and zero would purchase knowing this is what it would take to get reasonable runtime that resembles Lenovo's. It's good you've posted this b/c IMO it explains much better how woefully bad the real battery life is to potential buyers by illustrating just how involved and crippling it is to achieve anything decent. So thank you!

Thinkpad X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, Lenovo TB3 Graphics Dock, Samsung UH 750 QLED UHD 4K Monitor
happychappy
Paper Tape
Views: 80
Message 77 of 78

You're welcome. I'm glad I could help, as it is frustrating to get poor battery life, but now I am very happy. 

Pretty much everything works, functionality wise, including the keyboard, trackpad and the disabling of keys in non-laptop Yoga modes. I tried disabling the task scheduler for Synaptics (SynTPhelper, or something like that), and it reduced consumption further (increased battery life) but I found it made using the trackpad less responsive (plus got rid of the scrolling with the middle click on the trackpoint).

If backups stop working after disabling the services, you can always use create a Macrium Reflect boot drive with a PE environment for your machine, and do the backups offline (i.e., while Windows on the main drive is not running).

The key to good battery life is reducing the opportunities apps/programs can automatically do stuff in the background (e.g., updates schedules, services, etc.). You can always just update manually when plugged in, and unfortunately there's no easy way I know of that will reenable services while on AC power and disable them on battery power.

I forgot to also mention it helps to turn off the eyecandy in Windows 10 (transparency, fade effects, shadows etc.) which can be found in the peronalisation (in the Windows Settings app) and performance options (right click on This PC --> Properties --> Advanced System Settings --> Advanced (tab) --> Performance). 

I've found that after uninstalling unncessary software and disabling services and visual effects, all my systems have increased in responsiveness. It's great!

YOGAbbagabbro
SCSI Port
Views: 72
Message 78 of 78

I'm glad you've got yours sorted out, and shared how with us. For my use purposes (school, work, home) it would be way too much of a compromise, and one that just isn't necessary w/other computer brands/models. In the past I've gone down the similar path of micro-specializing/tuning/tweaking/hacking various aspects of (this and other) machines, and it always created future headaches that I just don't/wouldn't have time to persistently sort out as say a new update removes pref's or renders something non-functional that I didn't predict/intend w/my tweak. I already manually check/update my system religiously (re: ocd) as-is, and running down all the possible culprits and their potential impact quickly turns into a full time job computer tech job chasing down 'problems' that should never have been necessary to try to avoid. It's windows, I'd have chosen Linux (etc) if that were my interest and if I had the time (ironic perhaps , given the length of my posts Smiley Wink  ). As I type this, my X1Y3 is hot to the touch, eating up battery, connected to a Lenovo Graphics Dock, pushing a 4k monitor, with Firefox and NitroPDF running and literally nothing else. Both the laptop and Graphics Dock are hot. I have about 11 tabs open. It's just insane that we're this far along and Lenovo has STILL not addressed MULTIPLE persistent and outstanding complaints on their own forums about these issues. That someone had to thoroughly tweak and hack their system and reduce normal functionality to get a reasonable battery time is simply unacceptable, and a true shame b/c universally these same ppl really seem to love using the devices otherwise. I'll use these through their warranty (extended, both laptops) and go with another brand, if not sooner.

Thinkpad X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, Lenovo TB3 Graphics Dock, Samsung UH 750 QLED UHD 4K Monitor

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors