Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Qasim1786
Fanfold Paper
Views: 610
Message 31 of 72

Re: X1 Yoga 3rd Gen Battery Life Less Than 8 Hours

For sure, next time I would never buy any Lenovo product, as well as I won't let anyone in my circle buy Lenovo laptop ever. 

changsta2004
SCSI Port
Views: 596
Message 32 of 72

After being faithful to Lenovo for 10+ years and owning multiple products, I am thinking the same. My X1 Carbon has been disappointing. The only PROs I can think of are: good keyboard and the original thinkpad aethethics, and the port selections 

I bought the Dolby "HDR" screen and it seems like it's not even close to real HDR.

The battery life is so disappointing. After 8 months of owning this product and messing around, the most I can get is 4-5 hours. (average 3-4) This is with one chrome tab open.. and 30-50% brightness and on "better battery" settings. Everything Lenovo advertised for the X1 Carbon and Yoga now felt like false advertisement.  The speakers sound awful too.. At least the Yoga has better sound quality. My 6 year old ASUS has better sound than the X1 Carbon.

For these high prices, I really expected better... 
I am really thinking of stepping out of the Lenovo bubble and trying a different brand for my next laptops. 

drjochen
Punch Card
Views: 572
Message 33 of 72

I recently stepped out of the Lenovo bubble and bought a Huawei Matebook X Pro. I ran the X1 Yoga 3rd gen and the Matebook next to each other yesterday. Both screen at 50%, Outlook open, sleep etc. disabled. After 3 hours, the X1 Yoga had 23% battery left. The Matebook had 71%.

This (nonscientific) test confirms what my real world experience is. The Matebook's battery lasts about 2.5x as long as the X1 Yoga. By lunch, the X1 Yoga was empty, the Matebook has about 50% battery left....... 

euclidnet
Paper Tape
Views: 563
Message 34 of 72

At this point, I really just want some acknowledgement. Is this a hardware defect? Poor design? Is it possible to improve the battery life with a software update? Will Lenovo do anything to remedy this?

This was not an inexpensive purchase, at $1800. 3 hours of standby battery life on a brand new flagship laptop that advertises :

BatteryUp to 15.4 hours*, integrated Li-ion 54 Whr with RapidCharge technology

is ridiculous!

euclidnet
Paper Tape
Views: 561
Message 35 of 72

@jackzh2011 - Please mark this "Unsolved" - there hasn't been a proper resolution yet, and we'd like Lenovo to address battery problems with the X1 Yoga 3rd Gen.

drjochen
Punch Card
Views: 560
Message 36 of 72

If you serch there are very similar threads about previous models with no acknowledgement from Lenovo and heated discussions where users even defend the well below advertised value battery runtime as perfectly normal. They all show battery lifes substantially below the advertised values, so it is false advertising.  

Durangutan
Paper Tape
Views: 299
Message 37 of 72

I have an X1Yoga 2nd Gen with OLED display.  I have had it for over a year and have been down this road about battery life problems.   I even had Lenovo warranty the battery and replace it early on.   I get 4 to 5 hours with typical use.  Office, browser, video, etc. 

I have finally concluded this is an OLED issue.  The OLED uses twice the power of an IPS screen.  It's an impressive display, but it comes at a cost.   I love this laptop, probably the best I have ever had, but the battery life is disappointing.  

One of the ways I concluded the OLED display, was when I bought an X1 (6th Gen) for my son, with the standard HD IPS panel.  Which BTW isn't an OLED, but its still pretty good.  Anyway, he gets close the advertised battery life.  It will outlast the iPad I use for work!  12 to 14 hours I would say without a problem.  He is a generation newer on the processor (I don't think that makes much difference) and he does not have the OLED screen.   

So the choice comes down to kick-ass screen or kick-ass battery life.  Unfortunately we can't have it all, although I would like it... haha.

Good luck to all!

YOGAbbagabbro
SCSI Port
Views: 275
Message 38 of 72

Just to be clear, the overall 'battery life issue(s)' is NOT just with the OLED screens. While your experience and frustration may be related to your 2nd gen OLED, MANY of us have experienced extremely short battery life with the non-OLED 2K(?) IPS screens, including 3rd Gen X1 Yogas and 6th Gen Carbons. As well, the false choice of "either battery life or screen" isn't going to comfort those who purchased a product that promised expectations of a much longer per-charge use than they actually received. Some of us feel completely duped into buying a very pricey machine that can't get through half a day w/o a charge. 

Thinkpad X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, Lenovo TB3 Graphics Dock, Samsung UH 750 QLED UHD 4K Monitor
Durangutan
Paper Tape
Views: 269
Message 39 of 72

I hear you! I was speaking to my experience. The fact that even if it was just OLED (it is not according to your experience), Lenovo should be more honest about battery life. If they claim 15 hours, and you get 3 or 4 in some cases... That's a problem and seriously misleading. If it was 15 hours advertised and high res screens only got 12, that would be a bit easier to swallow. That, however, is not the case. I was unaware of IPS battery problems.
changsta2004
SCSI Port
Views: 250
Message 40 of 72

Honestly, this is completely false advertisement. LIke the previous comment, if they advertised 15 hours and we got 12-13, that's easier to understand. However, getting 4-6 hours for a "up to 15 hour batttery life" is just ridiculous. I've had two thinkpads, bought the yoga 730 for my mom, and the yoga 900 for my dad, and I think it's time to say good bye Lenovo. It's been a good 12 years but recent continous problems (with my 6th gen Carbon and Yoga 730) will make me consider different options in the future.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors