Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
YOGAbbagabbro
SCSI Port
Views: 354
Message 41 of 72

Re: X1 Yoga 3rd Gen Battery Life Less Than 8 Hours

Here's an example: today i brought the X1 Yoga 3rd Gen to school. I used it for 1 hr early morning before class, again for another 30 min at lunch, then throughout another class (1.5 hrs). during my lab at end of day, I used it for that 1.5 hr class. Made it near the end of class before going into low batter/low power mode. At that point it had been used a total of 4.5 hrs, conservatively. It was completely shut down after the morning session, and in hibernate btwn all other sessions. The only reason it 'made it through the day' this anomolous time was b/c I consciously did not use it at all unless absolutely necessary, and then in low power mode. 4.5 hrs max (likely less) using Excel, Word, and a few websites is just absurd. I could (don't) NEVER actually RELY on this machine for school or work (not a day, not half a day). On days I need more overall computer time through classes/labs, I am literally forced to bring a second computer (X280) or iPad Pro. This has been a very hard lesson to learn, and I won't buy another thing from Lenovo after the warranty's on theSE computerS finally run out. And I don't say that flippantly - I don't recall ever saying this was it for Lenovo. Not that they at all care. Obviously.

Thinkpad X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, Lenovo TB3 Graphics Dock, Samsung UH 750 QLED UHD 4K Monitor
euclidnet
Paper Tape
Views: 344
Message 42 of 72

exactly my experience as well, except replace 'school' with 'work'. the entire reason I bought this machine was to have a more reliable replacement for my failing yoga 2 pro, and I literally still use my old yoga more than this dumb x1 3gen for exactly this reason. frustrating beyond words, and I'm done with lenovo having seen no response from the company.

Philip55555
Fanfold Paper
Views: 202
Message 43 of 72

I have two laptops a X1 yoga and as a backup a Dell Latitude 7390 2in1. They have exactly the same spec. I go to various writing groups and sit in cafes writing. I have given up using the X1 yoga and now use the Latitude because the battery life of the X1 is rubbish. The keyboard and touch pad are better on the X1 and I get a few unregistered key strokes with the Latitude keyboard which I would not get with the X1 but I put up with that.

When using the X1 I was continually charging at every possible moment. I could only go to cafes with power points etc. On the other hand, the Latitude is a joy. With the Latitude I am like my Apple friends that are able to leave the laptop on all day with the screen blanking out at 5 minutes inactivity and it literally lasts all day of regular use.

I tried buying an external power pack but none of the independent ones would work with the X1 (they did with the Latitude) and Lenovo has never released their own power pack in the UK (it has been out in the US for a year).

My next laptop will be another Latitude.

I think Lenovo have lost the plot. They copy Apple for example the X1 yoga gen 4 will be all aluminum and smaller but they have made the battery even smaller than the gen 3! Why not copy the good bits of Apple like battery life, touchpad, screen quality, and sound quality.

Lenovo are one of the most expensive laptops so it is not due to price they miss on important things. I would be prepared to pay for a quality product but they do not make it.

Philip55555
Fanfold Paper
Views: 200
Message 44 of 72

PS

The Latitude 7390 2in1 has real volume keys. It has the micro sd card slot on the side where you can get to it. I also think it is a bit tougher than the X1 - it flexes less. I just backpacked around Thailand and my choice of the two X1 or Latitude 7390 was the Latitude. It performed well. It got drink spilled on it and banged around with no problem and to be able to use it during long journeys without charging was a joy.  

Hardware wise my X1 yoga and Latitude 7390 2in1 are exactly the same so it must be how Lenovo have put the components together or some strange software driver or the quality of their batteries that is causing the short battery life.  

Philip55555
Fanfold Paper
Views: 185
Message 45 of 72

I dont think it is worth raising it with Lenovo because they either act totally dumb as though they have never heard of the problem or you will go through endless system resets and messing around. There was a Lenovo post asking for suggestions of what to add in new models and i highlighted the bad battery life and they took my posts down so maybe it will not be improved in gen 4.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 160
Message 46 of 72

Hi Philip55555, and welcome to the Lenovo User Community!

Couple of points:

1. Per the community records, none of your posts have been removed, so I do not know what "took my posts down" refers to.

2. It's always valuable to get Lenovo to get feedback from users, but yours is rather vague. Need more details. For example:

* What do exactly you mean by "the battery life of the X1 is rubbish", for example what IS you battery life and how much do you need?

* "The Latitude 7390 2in1 has real volume keys", but so does the X1Y3. Please explain.

* Windows allows you to blank the screen after 5 minutes activity to save power - what did you try?

* You state that "none of the independant external power packs would work" [those which meet the right specs do] and "Lenovo has never released their own power pack in the UK" [see this one and this one in the Lenovo UK store]. Which power packs did you try?

Hope this helps!

Edit: Fixed power pack link

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Philip55555
Fanfold Paper
Views: 149
Message 47 of 72

Hi good to have your reply - I am happy to explore each of my points. 

the link you sent for the power pack is not valid. 

the 7390 2in1 has physical buttons on the side for volume up and down. And the SD card slot?

re how much battery life do i need. I would like to have something like the 15 hours advertised. I would be happy with 8 hours of average use. Have you ever used a MacBook?

NealD85
Fanfold Paper
Views: 146
Message 48 of 72

I feel like you might be focusing on a series of posts from one user, and not paying attention to the other posts on this thread that have provided the valuable feedback you're wanting from consumers.

If any one party is guilty of being vague it's Lenovo. We still haven't received an answer to our questions, and your defensive stance is not answering our otherwise valid questions or providing any semblance of a solution.

Why are the batteries on this model not meeting Lenovo's stated expectency of 15 hours? Will the power consumption issues with Connected/Modern Standby ever be resolved?

I attempted to open a support ticket regarding this issue with Lenovo and was bounced around departments until I reached the on-site techs who were just as confussed to be speaking to me as I was them. After 15 minutes of explaining my issue (most importantly that this wasn't an issue with one of our new X1 3rd gens but all of them) and attempting to work with the unfortunate soul who answered the phone, I was told they would speak with their supervisor to find an answer. That was almost 5 months ago.

If you're going to sell business class products, you have to offer business class support.

Philip55555
Fanfold Paper
Views: 141
Message 49 of 72

Hi NealD85

I totally agree. I get bounced around until the point i was trying to make is diluted.

bananamam is the start of the bouncing. 

does bananamam actually have and X1 yoga? if they did they would be experiencing the problems. 

bananamam is probably answering posts to earn points and get a good job offer 

bananamam buy an X1 yoga with your own money and you will have a good reason for feeling cheated 

Philip55555
Fanfold Paper
Views: 139
Message 50 of 72

bananamam

i am not picking up on other posts of have the X1 here in front of me and i am sharing my experience 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors