Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
YOGAbbagabbro
SCSI Port
Views: 336
Message 61 of 72

Re: X1 Yoga 3rd Gen Battery Life Less Than 8 Hours

It's possible (without checking) that was my post you're referring to, and I do think it's absurd. Getting 4.5hrs max on ANY combination of settings and use is absolutely absurd. If you contextualize it to a very high end expensive machine that makes a claim of 15hrs (?), it's of course more absurd. I base that on decades of using multiple brands and models and price points of mobile computers (and now devices in general). I've never had a computer (that was new or not failing/old) that had battery life as bad as this (on any settings combo). If I were getting 4.5 running photoshop or ArcGIS or music/video production, I wouldn't even comment. I can maybe manage 4.5 hrs on word, small excel files, and some internet usage, with screen around 50% (pretty dark on this model..) and lowest battery saver settings (no onenote sync, etc). That's incredibly awful for a 'new' computer that claims 10hrs max. This one claims 15hrs. Unquestionably awful.

And I still think it has to do (now, mostly) to Lenovo's choice of 'fast charge' vs long (bigger) battery life (and probably no strategy for the faster i7 variant in my model when used for non-stressing tasks).
Thinkpad X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, Lenovo TB3 Graphics Dock, Samsung UH 750 QLED UHD 4K Monitor
drjochen
Punch Card
Views: 306
Message 62 of 72

Here are the results. Battery draw on the Lenovo varies wildly from second to second, the numbers on the Huawei are quite stable.

I am running nothing during the tests. Onedrive is open but has no new files to sync.

Sorry, the battery wear is backwards. the 9.7% are for the X1, the Huawei shows 0.1%.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 298
Message 63 of 72

@Philip55555 wrote:

bananamam 

are you just another poster creating the mess that stops the problem being solved?

@Philip55555 wrote:

bananaman we are talking about expensive bits of kit and if you are just creating noise with your random posts please stop. 

@Philip55555...

Consider this as a reminder that this is a user community forum. It is comprised of users such as yourself, to share experiences and expertise with one another. Also, be aware that none of the moderators are Lenovo employees. We are customers, like yourself, and we offer our time, freely, to help maintain a positive, constructive platform for all members. To that end, we have well-defined guidelines for participation, which everyone accepts when joining this community. Of paramount, non-negotiable importance is that all members are treated with respect.

Reference: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Welcome-FAQs/Lenovo-Community-Participation-Rules/m-p/1

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

AlexXXL
SCSI Port
Views: 262
Message 64 of 72

Those up to 15 hours, must be read no more than 15 hours of battery.

Even if Yoga will run 30 minutes on battery, above statement will be true : it runs no more than 15 hours, and it runs even no more than 100 hours on batter, no more than 1000 hours on battery. Because it is just 30 minutes. Smiley Very Happy

Philip55555
Fanfold Paper
Views: 248
Message 65 of 72

I agree I am probably too direct in the way I write.

The bottom line for me is I paid £2200 ($2900) for what I thought was the best I could possibly buy.

I do lots of travelling and currently I am lucky if I get over 3 hours use at low screen brightness using word and wifi.

As I am almost tethered to a power outlet what I have in reality is a desktop computer. I feel very let down and lied to by Lenovo and will probably sell my X1 on ebay at a great loss and will stick with my Dell Latitude 7390 2in1 that is advertised at 12 hours and gets a solid 7. When the next gen processors come out later this year I will get another Dell and pass Lenovo by.

My history with Lenovo goes back a long way T40 - T43 - T60 - T420 - T520 - X1Y – Dell 7390

joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 231
Message 66 of 72

For fun and to add more actual data to the thread, below is a graph based on data in the Windows battery report. Green is my (fitted) battery capacity, which has dropped from 54Wh to 47Wh over the past fifty weeks. Blue is the estimated runtime for that week, which is based on average off-AC usage if I understand that correctly.

The battery life has dropped quite a bit faster than the battery capacity, so either I'm using the laptop more intensely (brighter screen maybe?) or something else is going on. The bad news: over the past half year of ownership I've been getting the equivalent of 4-4.5h battery life, corresponding to a typical power draw of 11-12W. That's pretty bad, and a lot worse than I thought! 

Edit: so it looks like my results are similar to those of YOGAbbagabbro (4.5hrs, moderate use) and drjochen (average 11W at 50% brightness, low usage). 

X1-Y3-runtime

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 211
Message 67 of 72

I have the high-res non-HDR screen on mine.  I got mine very early and the HDR screens weren't available yet.  I get about 8 hours on mine, but I keep the brightness pretty high.  I never compared, but I would expect a 500 nit screen to use more power than a 300 nit screen.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 117
Message 68 of 72

Did anyone else see a sudden drop in battery life like the one I had in week 18?  (see two posts up)  I tried to see what I installed that week, but unfortuntaly it happened to be a LOT of stuff because I just got my eGPU dock and WMR headset. Things that were installed: 

- Steam

- SteamVR (including over 400 DLLs.. good grief)

- Windows Mixed Reality components 

- Vortex (mod installer)

- NVidia drivers (including at least 55 NVidia DLLs, some of which have a name including "telemetry")

All of these seem pretty good candidates for leaving some power hungry service / background progress. Wish I could figure out which one of these is the culprit, if any. 

YOGAbbagabbro
SCSI Port
Views: 93
Message 69 of 72

Maybe someone can suggest (trustworthy/secure/vetted) software/app to analyze power usage. I'd personally be interested in a list of options that would include different facets like heat, cpu/gpu/memory (etc), app, background app, etc. and including tools not affiliated w/Lenovo or MS. Not that I'm dubious of their tools, but it would be good to have some options of explicitly not-affiliated for xreference. @joesixgig, I like the hands-on approach you did, i'll prob fool around with that later. 

I've also noticed more seemingly high heat issues lately, always while plugged-in, often when at full charge but plugged. I use the Battery Threshold fn whenever possible, usually set at a range of btwn 40-50. I'm also lately beginning to sense it's a bit more 'bendy' again, something I'd started to notice previous to sending it in for the heat/keyboard (couple other) issues. My guess is as it gets hot for a while it generally gets a lot more...'pliable'...until unplugged/cooled. Not ideal when you're using it for blocks of time plugged in at school then throwing it in a bag w/books and walked across campus. If anyone is experiencing casement/chassis fitment issues (mine were an obvious gap btwn lid/body on the right side along w/laying uneven on a flat surface) I suggest you monitor how hot it gets relative to percieved 'warping'. I'll add to my knowledge the sense of warping hasn't seemed to result in any change in functionality - but I expect that if it's not in my head, something could be affected.

Thinkpad X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, Lenovo TB3 Graphics Dock, Samsung UH 750 QLED UHD 4K Monitor
YOGAbbagabbro
SCSI Port
Views: 92
Message 70 of 72

Oh, wanted to note I don't have Steam or Vortex components installed. I prob have default WMR and some Nvidia drivers for the external gpu.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors