Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JeremyTy
Paper Tape
Views: 1,123
Message 1 of 24

X1 Yoga 3rd Gen – Coil Whine

My 20LD model of the X1 Yoga 3rd Gen (Intel Core i7-8650U) has a terrible coil whine. This noise comes from around the CPU in the upper right corner of the keyboard, around the F11 key. The noise is a high pitched scratchy noise that seems to occur when the CPU throttles up or down. The noise lessens when running on battery only. The coil whine seems to get louder and more frequent when the laptop is plugged into AC power.

The only way I can completely eliminate the noise is by disabling Intel SpeedStep within the BIOS. However, this locks the CPU to the base speed. This leads me to believe that the coil whine within the X1 Yoga 3 is due to the fluctuations in CPU voltage as workload changes.

I contacted Lenovo, and they immediately sent me a new X1 Yoga with the same specs. Unfortunately, the replacement unit exhibits the same behavior. Has anyone else found this to be a problem? Or did I get two bad units in a row? Anyone know of a fix besides disabling SpeedStep?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,097
Message 2 of 24

Re: X1 Yoga 3rd Gen – Coil Whine

Maybe the fan?  I have one with that CPU and I don't have a noise that I can hear.  My first question "is are you under 30 years old"?  That may sound like a dumb question, but there are frequencies that tend not to be heard by people over 30 years old.  I have a monitor that I really like and there are complaints by some people about whine from built-in speakers and I hear nothing like that. I haven't been under 30 since the U.S. Civil War, which ended in 1865.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
JeremyTy
Paper Tape
Views: 1,093
Message 3 of 24

It's definitely not the fan as you can hear it when the fan is off. It's definitely coil whine from around the CPU. As for your question of age, yes, I'm over 30. Several others could hear it clearly as well.

jackzh2011
SCSI Port
Views: 1,069
Message 4 of 24

The coil whine is real, esp. when connected to the thunderbolt 3 dock. It can be as loud as a rotary hard drive, but more piercing. It's also distracting, which is annoying.

bianco17
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,051
Message 5 of 24

Same here, with the 20LE model of the X1 Yoga 3rd Gen and Core i7-8550U. I'm over 30 too.

I'm already on my second unit. The first one was replaced as DoA, having had really bad coil whine. However, the second one shows exactly the same problematic. Plus a bunch of other basically broken features, which the first one had as well: keyboard backlight flickering, drifting fingerpoint reader. I've already declared this unit as DoA as well, but haven't sent it back yet. I'm not in a hurry, since I'm 99% sure the third unit will have exactly the same problems.

I'm starting to get annoyed about this lack of quality and the broken features.

Pepsinio
Punch Card
Views: 856
Message 6 of 24

Has anyone found solution to this or has replacement solved it?

JeremyTy
Paper Tape
Views: 840
Message 7 of 24

No, the problem is still there. I had Lenovo send a brand new replacement and it exhibited the exact same noise. Absolutely no difference, which makes me wonder if this is a design defect.

Pepsinio
Punch Card
Views: 827
Message 8 of 24

@someotherguy any software updates for this expected or it is hardware failure for sure?

@JeremyTy
nausky
Paper Tape
Views: 628
Message 9 of 24

Hey, I'm sorry to bother you about this problem, but I was wondering if you had ever gotten this issue resolved, since its a few months later. I received an X1Y3 with the i7 8650U last Monday, and I'm noticing coil whine in a lot of scenarios. It's the worst when plugged in, but I do notice it on battery power sometimes as well. 

I guess what's throwing me is that a lot of the folks over at reddit.com/r/thinkpad think coil whine is not normal and that I have a faulty unit. My previous laptops were a Surface Pro 3 (my personal computer) and a Surface Pro 4 (for work) and both of these machines operate silently. I really like the laptop but this is bothering me quite a bit and I may just return it since I'm still within that window.

JeremyTy
Paper Tape
Views: 606
Message 10 of 24

Although recent BIOS updates have improved the situation slightly, the coil whine is still there. It's better now when on battery power, but when plugged into AC power, it's still quite loud. I think it has to do with this processor as my previous generation X1 Yoga was an i5 and never had this type of issue. I've heard people with Dell and HP laptops using this same processor have similar problems.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors