cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jackzh2011
Token Ring
Views: 705
Message 1 of 13

X1 Yoga 3rd Gen Decreased SSD Performance with Thunderbolt 3 Dock (1/3 of AC Power w/ "Coil Whine")

(Don't know what happened to the first one I posted... Posting it again.)

Mod's Comment: Your multiple edits tripped the auto Spam filter to remove the post from publication.

Hey group,

While testing the performance of the SSD in my X1Y3 with CrystalDiskMark, I noticed a drastic performance drop in 4KiB Q(ueue)8T(hread)8 when connected to the Thunderbolt 3 Dock as compared to connected to AC power: 

Dock: 

Random Read 4KiB (Q=  8,T= 8) :   318.764 MB/s [  77823.2 IOPS]

Random Write 4KiB (Q=  8,T= 8) :   256.349 MB/s [  62585.2 IOPS]

AC Power:

Random Read 4KiB (Q= 8,T= 8) : 943.671 MB/s [ 230388.4 IOPS]
Random Write 4KiB (Q= 8,T= 8) : 1024.264 MB/s [ 250064.5 IOPS]

I noticed that with the Dock, the CPU usage during the test was only about 50%, whereas on AC power it was about 100%. (See the attached pictures).

With the performance drop, I also heard very audible "coil whine". I can't quite tell if it was only coming from the dock or both the dock and the laptop. All connected devices were unplugged from the dock. The only two cables connected to the dock were the AC cord and the Thunderbolt 3 cable. The noise is NOT heard while using AC power. I thought the noise was just annoying before, but now with this performance drop, I'm a bit more concerned... Based on my experience with Lenovo Tech Support, I don't think I'd get any real advice from them. I was wondering if anyone else noticed the same issue and what do you think is causing it?  To download the disk testing software: https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/.

Thank so much for your help!

This X1Y3 is a replacement of an X1Y2. The X1Y2 didn't have this probelm at all (neither "coil whine" nor performance drop). The other three tests, Seq Q32T1, 4KiB Q32T1, 4KiB Q1T1, did NOT have issues either. UPDATE: No coil whine noticed during pure CPU test with IntelBurnTest. CPU was used at 100% as opposed to the 4 KiB Q8T8 test 50% CPU usage on TB3 Dock (but 100% on AC). It makes me wonder if it's SSD related. (thank you, https://www.reddit.com/user/navindian, for the suggestion!)

X1Y3 Machine Model: 20LD001FUS

X1Y3 Thunderbolt Software Version: 17.3.72.250, controller driver version: 17.3.72.2. 

X1Y3 Thunderbolt Firmware Info: NVM 33.00, PD firmware version displayed, but based on driver info on Lenovo website, it should be F : 407.06.12

X1Y2 Machine Model: 20JDCTO1WW

X1Y2 Thunderbolt Software Version: 16.2.55.275, controller driver version: 16.2.55.1

X1Y2 Thunderbolt Firmware Info: NVM 15.00, PD firmware version f201.13.00

jackzh2011
Token Ring
Views: 642
Message 2 of 13

Re: X1 Yoga 3rd Gen Decreased SSD performance with Thunderbolt 3 Dock (1/3 of AC Power w/ "Coil

I unplugged the TB 3 Dock, uninstalled all the three Thunderbolt related things I could find in Programs and Features (something like Thunderbolt/USB Ethernet Adapter Driver, Thunderbolt Software, and Lenovo Thunderbolt and USB-C Dock), and downloaded the Thunderbolt firmware for 20LD again and installed/flashed again (already did once yesterday). But this time, I followed the instructions to actually shutdown the computer and unplug (I disabled the battery in BIOS). Upon reboot, there was still a bit of coil whine. After after Windows was loaded, however, it seems to have gone away with only minimal amount left here and there.

I was really happy, but then after another reboot the noise came back and during the same 4KiB Q8T8 test the noise was even louder. After the test, the noise didn't go away completely and was definitely coming from the laptop, SOUNDed like electric sparks inside the laptop (no actual spark seen). The noise went way after unplugging the dock.

jackzh2011
Token Ring
Views: 606
Message 3 of 13

Re: X1 Yoga 3rd Gen Decreased SSD Performance with Thunderbolt 3 Dock (1/3 of AC Power w/ "Coil

UPDATE: Lenovo just released a new BIOS for 20LDs. It seems to have solved the performance drop for sure! Now CDM gives out very similar numbers between AC Power and Thunderbolt! Thanks a lot!! (Thank you, https://www.reddit.com/user/hackpadthink)

I noticed that the coil whine that's associated with disk activity is also gone. A new thing I noticed is that open a new window or open the start menu would trigger a new kind of noises, like there are electrical sparks inside the laptop. It lingers around after it's triggered, gets gradually quieter, and pops up here and there. Any idea if it's something serious and if there's anything I can do to fix it?

Thank you so much for your help!

Pepsinio
Punch Card
Views: 523
Message 4 of 13

Re: X1 Yoga 3rd Gen Decreased SSD Performance with Thunderbolt 3 Dock (1/3 of AC Power w/ "Coil

I have exactly the same observation. No resolution so far
jackzh2011
Token Ring
Views: 516
Message 5 of 13

Are you seeing coil whine with decreased SSD performance? Have you updated your BIOS?

Pepsinio
Punch Card
Views: 505
Message 6 of 13

@jackzh2011 can you try connecting a usb rive while docked to the laptop? In such case for me the coil whine increases.

jackzh2011
Token Ring
Views: 501
Message 7 of 13

@Pepsinio wrote:

@jackzh2011 can you try connecting a usb rive while docked to the laptop? In such case for me the coil whine increases.

Interesting!! What kind of usb drive? Hard drive or thumb? And to the laptop or to the dock? 

Pepsinio
Punch Card
Views: 497
Message 8 of 13

2.5' 1TB USB Drive to the laptop. To the dock it works fine
JeremyTy
Paper Tape
Views: 456
Message 9 of 13

My 20LD model of the X1 Yoga 3rd Gen (Intel Core i7-8650U) has a terrible coil whine. This noise comes from around the CPU in the upper right corner of the keyboard, around the F11 key. The noise is a high pitched scratchy noise that seems to occur when the CPU throttles up or down. The noise lessens when running on battery only. The coil whine seems to get louder and more frequent when the laptop is plugged into AC power. I've started a thread here about the problem:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-Yoga-3rd-Gen-Coil-Whine/td-p/4062501

Pepsinio
Punch Card
Views: 453
Message 10 of 13

It has to do something with the cpu load indeed. It happens more frequently on the docking station as oppose to normal charger for me.
@someotherguy do you know whether this is under investigation as well?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors