Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 493
Message 11 of 33

Re: X1 Yoga 3rd Gen Fingerprint Sensor Forgets Enrolled Fingerprint

I have a similar complaint about my own ThinkPad T580.  I wouldn't say that the fingerprint is forgotten, but it seems to reject my fingerprint too much.  It just doesn't work as well as it should.

However, there is a newer version of fingerprint driver that seems to be a lot better.  Maybe not perfect yet, but the improvement was very noticible for me.

How to get it:

1.  open Device Manager

2.  expand the Biometric Devices category, then right-click on "Synaptics WBDI ..."

3.  in the menu, click on "Update driver"

4.  select the option about "Search automatically for updated driver software"

5.  Windows should automatically download and install a new driver

6.  after installation complete, double-click on the device in Device Manager, then open the "driver" tab to verify that driver version 5.3.3521.26 is installed

7.  reboot and see if you think the situation is better.

jefferai
Punch Card
Views: 484
Message 12 of 33

Hi someotherguy, nice to see you on this thread too!

(BTW, can you please clue me in to how you @ someone, because it never links when I do it. I cannot figure it out in this forum software.)

Anyways, I followed your instructions and it did indeed find a newer driver. I will give it a try -- I'm quite suspicious that this would actually help due to this being a MOS device -- Match On Sensor -- so it seems like a firmware update would be necessary. But let's see how it goes...

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 481
Message 13 of 33

I have no idea about forum logistics like tagging someone.  There's a dedicated forum housekeeping board, I think it would be a good topic in that board.  Hopefully a moderator can give you a pointer.  https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Housekeeping/bd-p/Forum_housekeeping

Although the device is match-on-chip, the driver configures the matching algorithm on the chip, including parameters such as FAR (false acceptance rate) and FRR (false rejection rate).  In fingerprint world, this is always a balancing act between security and usability.  You want to be sufficiently confident that the finger is a match to what was originally enrolled, but you don't want to require such a perfect match that you reject the same finger that is scanned at a different pressure, offset, angle, etc.  In my opinion, the problem is caused by mistuned parameters, and can definitely be fixed by a driver update.

If you think the new driver is not an improvement after a couple days of trying it, let me know and we will discuss next steps.

jefferai
Punch Card
Views: 476
Message 14 of 33

Hah, I've seen you @ people and have the names turn into links, so whatever you're doing just doesn't work when I type @someotherguy

Anyways, thanks for the info on the sensor. Given the usage of SGX and thus the expected trust chain I figured the driver couldn't modify these parameters since that's not a part of the hardware trust chain, but it seems I'm wrong. We'll see, I'll report back ona few days. Also hopefully Lenovo packages it soon for others!

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 414
Message 15 of 33

jefferai,

Have you had a chance to form an opinion about the new fingerprint driver?  Is the situation improved for you?

jefferai
Punch Card
Views: 408
Message 16 of 33

Hi there,

I actually haven't used it much because I haven't been traveling and a while back I set my laptop to not sleep when it was plugged in (for this reason, and the keyboard backlight flickering, and the Intel card not working nicely with my AP) so haven't needed to unlock it. Next week I'll be traveling quite a bit so it will be a good test case, I'll report back after.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 406
Message 17 of 33

jefferai

Check the thread about the keyboard backlight flickering, I posted the fix for it a few minutes ago.  I would apprciate your feedback about that issue as well.

Highlighted
yfnew
Token Ring
Views: 397
Message 18 of 33

Hi someotherguy,

I followed your instruction to update the fingerprint sensor driver, and it is definitely improved. Previously I had to try 3 times every time I tried to log in, but now it has roughly the same success rate as my X1 Carbon 5th gen, which is pretty good. Thank you!
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 386
Message 19 of 33

Thanks for your feedback.  I just heard there is another (newer) driver coming which will add more improvement.  I will post it here when I have it.

To everyone else, please update to driver 5.3.3521.26 like I instructed above.  I will mark it as the solution post for now, to help people find it quickly.
Teflon
Fanfold Paper
Views: 383
Message 20 of 33

Thanks! This has made a world of difference so far.... my fingerprint registers immediately on the first try. Nice feeling! Let's hope it lasts Smiley Happy

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors