Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jefferai
Punch Card
Views: 1,035
Message 1 of 32

X1 Yoga 3rd Gen Fingerprint Sensor Forgets Enrolled Fingerprint

Something is weird with the fingerprint sensor.

When it works, it works instantly and recognizes my fingerprint right away, no matter which part of the finger I use. The problem is that it's *constantly* forgetting my finger. It'll work fine, then I'll close my laptop and come back in a little bit and it doesn't work at all...fails three times and have to use my PIN. Once that happens it doesn't work again, at all, until I re-enroll my fingerprint at which time it works perfectly again for some time. I end up having to re-enroll once or twice a day.

Lenovo Vantage pulled in a new version of the driver package today but it didn't help...the issue just happened again.

Anyone know what the cause might be?

TPrideSt
Paper Tape
Views: 928
Message 2 of 32

Re: X1 Yoga 3rd Gen Fingerprint Sensor Forgets Enrolled Fingerprint

I have an X1 Yoga that is less than one year old, and my fingerprint reader doesn't light up all the time when it should.  I'm not having to re-enroll it but constantly having the restart the computer so it works again.  It's quite infuriating but not as frustrating as calling Lenovo to seek support and telling me I have to pay for it - the computer is less than one year old!! I asked for a supervisor to call me and no one did.  ARRRGGGHH!

jefferai
Punch Card
Views: 915
Message 3 of 32

Oh yeah, this is my first Lenovo and without a doubt the worst support experience I've ever had across Dell, HP, Apple, and Lenovo. For another issue I tried calling, and posted about the results...they weren't pretty. I also never got the promised call back by a supervisor either.

Teflon
Fanfold Paper
Views: 831
Message 4 of 32

For the record, I too have the exact same issue with the fingerprint reader on my new X1 Yoga 3rd Gen laptop. It's very frustrating to have a fingerprint reader that doesn't work on such an expensive laptop when it works flawlessly on my relatively cheap smartphone. Lenovo support please acknowledge this issue! Thanks.

TPrideSt
Paper Tape
Views: 818
Message 5 of 32

I was having the same problem on my X1 Thinkpad.  Every time I closed the lid and came back, the fingerprint did not work.  I would have to restart in order to get it to work again. My workaround, since I do not restart my computer every day, is to just leave the lid open.  The next morning, we I resume work, the fingerprint reader is working.  

Horgh
Punch Card
Views: 811
Message 6 of 32

I have the same issues as you guys describe with my 20LD. Finger print reader works maybe 15% of the time, no matter how perfectly I place my finger on it. Compare it to my Samsung Galaxy S9+ and it's not even in the same league. The Samsung would read my finger if it were covered in wax, the X1 can't read even a perfect placement. Very frustrating. 

jefferai
Punch Card
Views: 808
Message 7 of 32

If I had to make a guess -- the chip used in these is MOS -- Match On Sensor. What that means is that rather than Windows or other software analyzing the data from the fingerprint, the sensor itself analyzes the fingerprint for matches. In theory this means a tighter trust chain, but it also means that the firmware/software on the sensor has to be good...and I think it isn't. My guess is that this is neither a Windows problem nor a driver problem, but an actual issue with the firmware.

bianco17
Fanfold Paper
Views: 781
Message 8 of 32

Same issue here, as already reported in another thread. Fingerprint sensor works great (although a little slow) after registering a new print (or re-registering), then gradually works worse and worse, until it recognizes my finger in maybe 5% of all tries.

This is already my second unit, the first one (declared as DoA) had exactly the same problem. This feature is basically broken, and I'm going to DoA it again, or get my money back.

Horgh
Punch Card
Views: 774
Message 9 of 32

I've been paying more attention to how I place my finger, and I think I get a better recognition rate if I really press my finger into the sensor square firmly, almost hard, and leave it there for a few seconds, still. Granted, I have to get the placement pretty perfectly the first time, but it seems to work better with more pressure and more time to recognize the print.

It could be all in my head, I'll keep experimenting.

jefferai
Punch Card
Views: 754
Message 10 of 32

It does work better that way (which, of course, sensors on phones don't need) but still loses it over time.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors