Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DanClarkeUk
Paper Tape
Views: 3,338
Message 1 of 18

X1 Yoga 3rd Gen HDR WQHD quality

I received my X1 Yoga 3rd gen yesterday, and I'm not sure if there's something up with my screen, or if this is just how it is, so wanted to check here to see if other people had experienced the same thing. I went with the top spec, which has the 14.0" HDR WQHD (2560x1440) with Dolby Vision™, LED backlight, 500 nits, 16:9 aspect ratio, 1500:1 contrast ratio" - and was expecting to be blown away with it. Unfortunately, it's all rather disappointing. It almost looks like there's a permanent blue-light filter applied. Whites aren't white. Next to my 2013 MacBook Pro - this REALLY stands out as being quite dull and faded.

I've made sure that night-mode is turned off in Windows 10. I've also gone to the Lenovo Vantage settings, and turned off night-mode there too. I've changed the color profiles and adjusted the gamma and white-point balance, which has improved things a bit, but it's still not great. I've also done the Windows 10 color calibration.

Given the amount I've just spent on this, I'm seriously thinking of returning. But would be nice to know if it's a dodgy screen, or if they're all like this. Shame, as this is my first Lenovo - and there are things about it I love. Eg. I really like the keyboard - perhaps the best laptop keyboard I've ever used. It's also pretty fast! Visual Studio loads in about 2 seconds! It's just such a shame about this display. There's even a massive border around the edge of the physical screen making it even smaller.

Dan

DanClarkeUk
Paper Tape
Views: 3,307
Message 2 of 18

Re: X1 Yoga 3rd Gen HDR WQHD quality

Things seem to have improved a bit after I went to the control panel and chose "Intel Graphics Settings". When I did this, it immediately installed some drivers and asked me to reboot. Still not as blown away as I was expecting from this screen - but at least it now looks more like a normal screen without night-mode permanently applied.

joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 3,298
Message 3 of 18

@DanClarkeUk wrote:

I received my X1 Yoga 3rd gen yesterday, and I'm not sure if there's something up with my screen, or if this is just how it is, so wanted to check here to see if other people had experienced the same thing. I went with the top spec, which has the 14.0" HDR WQHD (2560x1440) with Dolby Vision™, LED backlight, 500 nits, 16:9 aspect ratio, 1500:1 contrast ratio" - and was expecting to be blown away with it. Unfortunately, it's all rather disappointing. It almost looks like there's a permanent blue-light filter applied. Whites aren't white. 

I've made sure that night-mode is turned off in Windows 10. I've also gone to the Lenovo Vantage settings, and turned off night-mode there too. I've changed the color profiles and adjusted the gamma and white-point balance, which has improved things a bit, but it's still not great. I've also done the Windows 10 color calibration.

I fought with the white balance for a lot when I got the screen. All colors were so exaggerated that it was unpleasant to look at. After lots of playing with the intel contrast and brightness settings  (I needed to add a lot of blue) I got to the point where I kind of could live with it, but the Intel Settings app kept forgetting my settings. 

Then I found the right-click option on the desktop labeled "Select Color Setting". This turns out to be a Lenovo thing, although there is zero indication that this is the case. Switching this from "Native" to "Standard" fixed all my color problems after resetting the Intel settings back to default.

Did you find this menu? If not, it's worth a look. You can add a custom profile by going to Vantage > Audio/Visual and then scrolling down. Kind of confusing that there's so many places to mess with graphics, but that's the way it is right now. 

DanClarkeUk
Paper Tape
Views: 3,287
Message 4 of 18

Hi. Thanks for your reply. I hadn't seen that setting, but mine's already on standard. Strangely, if I go into the Vantage settings, it has 'Custom' selected there. I changed this to custom earlier, and tweaked the gamma and whitepoint to improve it.

> "All colors were so exaggerated that it was unpleasant to look at"

I'm not finding this at all - I'm finding that both my desktop monitors and 2013 Macbook Pro retina, have much better colour definition :-/

joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 3,282
Message 5 of 18

@DanClarkeUk wrote:

I'm not finding this at all - I'm finding that both my desktop monitors and 2013 Macbook Pro retina, have much better colour definition :-/

Interesting. I toggled between "Native" and "Standard" just now, and set to Native the red Lenovo logo becomes way more intensely red, so I didn't just dream this. It bothered me when I got the unit because I have some drab blue color on my desktop, which on the X1Y3 looked more greenish/teal, as in 'lacking blue'. If I hadn't found these dang semi-hidden Lenovo color profiles I might have considered returning it. Hope you find a setting that works for you. 

DanClarkeUk
Paper Tape
Views: 3,240
Message 6 of 18

Having that desktop right-click on Standard, then changing Vantage Color settings to 'Custom' and setting the whitepoint as the highest (D65) seems to make a big difference and be the best I can get it.

However, even with those changes - I must say that I'm very disappointed in this display Smiley Sad From all the reviews I watched and read about this laptop - everyone seemed to comment on how amazing this screen was and how vibrant the colours were. I don't know if there's something up with mine, but I don't get it. My standard monitors and 2013 MacBook pro screen look *much* better. The Lenovo screen just looks dull and not as bright as it should do. If I turn up the brightness in the control panel it just becomes too harse on the eyes rather than becoming nicely brighter/whiter. Very very disappointing - especially with the amount of money I've spent on this laptop.

DanClarkeUk
Paper Tape
Views: 3,236
Message 7 of 18

Trying to think of the best way of describing it - and the best I can come up with is that the whites just look quite "dirty", rather than being white.

trackpointlove
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,220
Message 8 of 18

Same here, I own a 13" late 2013 retina mbp which looks much more vivid and contrasted and white than this one.

Intrigued, I checked the EDID information about the panel, and it reports 8-bit color depth, to be Dolby Vision-compliant it must be 12 bit.

I have opened a new topic just for that.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Tablet-and/X1-6-gen-HDR-Is-the-panel-8-bit-reported-b...

DanClarkeUk
Paper Tape
Views: 3,217
Message 9 of 18

I've decided to return mine. Just not happy with it at all - especially given the amount I've spent on it.

joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 3,203
Message 10 of 18

@DanClarkeUk wrote:

I've decided to return mine. Just not happy with it at all - especially given the amount I've spent on it.

Fair enough. Probably too late, but just in case, has all your testing been while on battery power? Because on battery there's this horrible Intel Power Saving tech that drops the display contrast when there is not much white on the screen. It's in the Intel Graphics settings app, under Battery iirc. And to make things worse, the setting sometimes reenables itself while the toggle stays set to 'off'. 

If things look bad to you with the X1Y3 connected to power then that's not it though. Hope you find the tablet/laptop of your dreams, cheers.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors