Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SyneRyder
Punch Card
Views: 471
Message 1 of 9

X1 Yoga 3rd Gen: Not charging when turned off again

I've just run into the problem again of my X1 Yoga 3rd Gen not charging when it's turned off / shut down. The red charging light comes on, but when I leave the laptop charging overnight & come back to it the next day, it hasn't charged at all.  This used to happen a lot when I first got the machine, but hasn't happened in several months, so I thought it was fixed.

It's only started happening again today, and the one change that happened is Windows asked me last night to Update & Shut Down when I turned it off.  When I turned the machine back on today, it completed installing the updates, but I noticed the battery was still only at 57% with the red charging light on.  Perhaps the machine isn't able to charge when Windows is in the middle of an updating process?

If it's tied to the particular updates, last night's update was installing KB4494441 (2019-05 Cumulative update for Windows 1809), as well as KB4497932 (Adobe Flash update) and KB4499405 (Cumulative update for .NET 3.5 - 4.8).

I'll keep an eye on it to see if it's a fluke.  The machine is charging again while it's switched on, but that's the same behaviour I had last time I encountered these charging problems - I had to leave the screen/laptop on overnight for charging to work.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 444
Message 2 of 9

Re: X1 Yoga 3rd Gen: Not charging when turned off again

Hi SyneRyder! Try running the update Lenovo Vantage app. Install all available updates. You can get the app here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/lenovo-vantage/9wzdncrfj4mv#activetab=pivotSmiley Surprisedverviewtab. If the issue persist, uninstall and reinstall the battery driver under the device manager and restart the laptop. Check if the issue persist.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

SyneRyder
Punch Card
Views: 407
Message 3 of 9

Just an update on this - the problem hasn't reoccurred since the one time the system shut down overnight for a Windows update. I've since run Vantage & downloaded the latest BIOS / Thunderbolt updates etc, so I can't be sure if the cause was the Windows Update process or something else. But it seems to be running fine again now.

SyneRyder
Punch Card
Views: 371
Message 4 of 9

Well, it's happened again - plugged in my Yoga 3rd Gen laptop tonight for a couple of hours and it didn't charge (stayed on orange charging light without actually charging), until I powered it up and started Windows. No Windows update happened today, but I see that Vantage did run an update automatically this morning while it was on power: it installed Intel Pro/1000 LAN Adapter Software V.12.8.8.4 (again?), and Synaptics Ultranav Driver V.19.3.4.221.

I used my laptop for a couple of hours at a cafe today on battery, then shut the computer down before coming home.  When I got home I plugged it straight into my USB-C dock without turning the laptop on.  The USB-C dock (with passthrough charging) is made by Alogic, but it has the original Lenovo charger plugged into it, and I have had this problem happen before with just the Lenovo charger plugged directly into the laptop as well. It has also happened before with an Apple USB-C charger, and the device charges fine through all those chargers when Windows is running, so I don't think the chargers or docks are at fault.

The device is charging fine again now that Windows is turned on & running, jumping from 76% to 89% in the time it's taken me to type this, so I don't think it's a problem with how I've plugged the device in (I haven't moved it or touched the cables at all since I got home). Running Vantage now suggests I don't yet have BIOS 1.34 or Thunderbolt V17.0.0.1-N25TF12W installed, so I suppose I should install those now....

Keep
Punch Card
Views: 352
Message 5 of 9

From your description, not sure if I had same or similar problem. I don’t use any docks.

When it wouldn’t charge (well I think it was still charging but at a much lower rate), if I unplugged the charger, the charging light would still be on (amber or white depending on %), same with icon on the desktop would be displaying that it’s plugged in, although constantly flash 2-3 sec, as if I was plugging unplugging the OEM original charger.

On restart, powering on, first thing on boot up screen it would tell me “The connected AC adapter has a lower wattage than the recommended AC adapter...”.

This happened on 2 different motherboards. Rarely. Just guessing, maybe once a month or max 3 times in a month.

I’m just guessing it’s probably BIOS related. Because either on windows 10 or on Ubuntu 18.04.2 the behavior was exactly the same.

Been a while since it happened and I don’t remember on which BIOS version it happened the last time.

Currently on BIOS 1.34.

In BIOS change logs I didn’t see anything related to this, unless I just didn’t understand it.

TL;DR How I used to fix this issue is by simple Emergency-reset hole on the bottom of the unit.

(just guessing that something in the BIOS … get stuck and not able to reset because of continuous power supplied by main battery and or 1050 coin-cell)

Cavoke
Punch Card
Views: 339
Message 6 of 9

Hello ; The same problem appears to me but, sometimes only. I have not been able to identify precisely in which circumstances it happens... The battery charging does not work properly, only when the laptop is completely shut down. I just noticed that if I start the computer and just leave it in sleeping mode, the charging is ok.

So now, when I need to rely on a fully charged battery I do not take the risk to charge it fully turned off... Sometimes it fails ; sometimes it work fine...

For info My BIOS is N25ET44W 1.30. I will try to load the 1.34 and come back if I notice improvements.

Thinkpad X1Y3 20LF Windows 10 pro update 1803 version 17134.523
Keep
Punch Card
Views: 301
Message 7 of 9

Well, @Jwes_Lenovo gave you a suggestion and guys from 2017 had the answer for you before you even started having this problem.  It's up to you, to follow through and keep your machine updated or not Smiley Tongue

funny, Lenovo blocking my posts sharing a link with an answer that is on their own forum in another thread.  (What year is this?)

Here is unformated form

forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-Yoga-Plugged-in-Not-Charging/td-p/3807941

SyneRyder
Punch Card
Views: 266
Message 8 of 9

I think the issue I've had is closer to Cavoke's than to Keep's. I don't have warnings about low wattage adapters and the problem doesn't occur if Windows is actually running, only when the device is turned off / shut down (or at least appears to be turned off). When I first got the machine it happened constantly, and thankfully now it's only occasionally and hasn't happened in the last 2 weeks, so I haven't had a chance to try the hard reset button trick.

One thing I have ruled out, it isn't caused by plugging the charger into the "wrong" USB-C port on the Yoga. Only one port has the power-plug icon, so I usually use that one, but as a test I tried plugging the charger into the other USB-C port and that charged the device just fine. So I don't think it's been caused by accidentally plugging the charger into the "wrong" port or anything like that.

It's happened across several versions of firmware now, so I don't think the problem is necessarily being out of date with updates, unless there's been regressions in the updates. There's always a new BIOS or firmware in Vantage, so all I can say is that it hasn't happened for me since updating to BIOS 1.34 or Thunderbolt firmware V17.0.0.1-N25TF12W... yet Smiley Wink  2 weeks without incident, so that's something!

Keep
Punch Card
Views: 254
Message 9 of 9

Sticker icon is by one port but they are exactly the same and can be charged through both. States so in the User Guide and I’ve done it. It is provided by Lenovo, should download it and the Maintenance Manual and use it to your advantage.

Any issues can happen through multiple updates, if the fix isn’t there, it just isn’t there. But each update is just that, it updates something. I usually glance at logs before installing, just to know what to expect, or for which new features after update to look for.

Thanks to their forum I found out 1.34 brought back s3 sleep.  Which is disabled by default in BIOS. When I enabled, has warning, though it didn’t cause issue for me in win10 nor Ubuntu.  Now, no more drain and extra wear on battery if I suspend and don't have to use hibernate as often.

I see on their website there is now 1.35

It’s actually a good thing to “always” have new updates. No matter what software/brand, it means developers are working on it. Has it's pros/cons.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors