cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChuckDavis
Paper Tape
Views: 86
Message 1 of 4

X1 Yoga 3rd Gen. - Power On/Off With Lid Closed When Docked?

We currently have ThinkPads with mechanical docking stations.  When docked, we can turn the ThinkPads on and off with the lid closed using the power switch on the docking station.

We are considering getting X1 Yogas (3rd Gen.) with Thunderbolt 3 external docks.  (Monitor and keyboard would connect to the dock in the office.)

Using the power switch on the side of the X1 Yoga, can the Yoga be turned on and off with the lid closed?  Would the Power Options for "When I close the lid" have to be changed to "Do nothing"?

If somebody is using this configuration, or if somebody with an X1 Yoga (3rd Gen.) could do a quick experiment, I would be very grateful for any information you could provide.

Thanks.

joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 71
Message 2 of 4

Re: X1 Yoga 3rd Gen. - Power On/Off With Lid Closed When Docked?

@ChuckDavis wrote:

We currently have ThinkPads with mechanical docking stations.  When docked, we can turn the ThinkPads on and off with the lid closed using the power switch on the docking station.

We are considering getting X1 Yogas (3rd Gen.) with Thunderbolt 3 external docks.  (Monitor and keyboard would connect to the dock in the office.)

Using the power switch on the side of the X1 Yoga, can the Yoga be turned on and off with the lid closed?  Would the Power Options for "When I close the lid" have to be changed to "Do nothing"?

If somebody is using this configuration, or if somebody with an X1 Yoga (3rd Gen.) could do a quick experiment, I would be very grateful for any information you could provide.

Thanks.

You can definitely turn it off (or in my case sleep) using the power button while docked, as well as back on. I don't have my Lenovo TB3 dock with me, so the following issue may not be relevant to your users:

I use an old Microsoft USB-C Continuum Dock, and your scenario doesn't work quite right on that one: hitting power with the lid closed, the laptop goes to sleep, but then waking it with the power button, the monitor connected to the Continuum Dock doesn't receive signal. The only fix is to open the X1 Yoga, wake it, close the lid (sleeps the system), and waking it again, after which things work fine again. Maybe a graphics driver bug or a Continuum dock firmware bug. 

Maybe someone with the Lenovo TB3 dock can double check whether things work better there. I think it should (I don't recall any problems when I was using the official dock), but it's worth making sure. 

ChuckDavis
Paper Tape
Views: 64
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for your quick response.

Confirming.......the lid is closed when you power on/off (or sleep) the unit.

Since 1/3 of the reviews on Amazon of the Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 dock report reliability or functionality problems, I'm planning on using a CalDigit dock.  (Enough of the Amazon reviews appear to be from technoids to be credible).  Didn't want to complicate the original post.  Fingers crossed, since any time you connect/control hardware via a software interface things can get "interesting."

joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 49
Message 4 of 4

@ChuckDavis wrote:

Thanks for your quick response.

Confirming.......the lid is closed when you power on/off (or sleep) the unit.

Yes, the power button works when the lid is closed and a dock is connected via USB-C or TB3. Whether the graphics bug I mentioned is universal or limited to the HD500 display dock / continuum dock I don't know.  I hope someone else can chime in.

Top Kudoed Authors