Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mmolotov
Serial Port
Views: 2,362
Message 1 of 12

X1 Yoga 3rd Gen Screen is Easily Scratchable

I just think people should know that it is more och less impossible to not get thin, hard-to-see, scratches on the screen of X1Y3. I just got mine back from repair, where the screen was replaced and it still came with a thin scratch on it. Probably from when the repair people tested the touch functionality. I'm not sure why it is so easily scratchable but there seems to be some kind of layer on the glass that is soft enough to easily scratch. Maybe it's the anti-glare coating. Anyway, if you want to avoid this, you should probably get a screen protector.

mmolotov
Serial Port
Views: 2,342
Message 2 of 12

Re: X1 Yoga 3rd Gen Screen is Easily Scratchable

Two photos of the scratch. This is how it arrived from Lenovo Repair, with a replaced screen.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,328
Message 3 of 12

I have used one since before they were actually released.  I have an early one that I used to write a revew.  I use the touch features with the pen and with a finger and I have had no such issue.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
mmolotov
Serial Port
Views: 2,321
Message 4 of 12

Scratches are visible with the screen turned off, at the right angles. Hard to notice with normal use. I already described this issue in another thread. I've had two different screens on my X1Y3, the first one was scratched by myself, while the new one came scratched by Lenovo Repair. I wish there was some way to know if the anti-glare coating is removable/replaceable, if it's there at all. You can feel the difference between a glass screen and the X1Y3 screen if you try writing with the pen on both. The X1Y3 screen has more friction than a regular glass screen.

Guru
Views: 2,318
Message 5 of 12

Wow.  Thats a pretty long scratch.  I would contact repair facility immediately if it came back like that and ask them to replace again.

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an”Accepted Solution“!
 If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a "Kudo"!

I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. I will not respond to unsolicited private messages. Questions belong in the forum so it may   help other forum members as well.
 T490, TP 25 Retro, X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, W510 850 EVO, A30p
 Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

mmolotov
Serial Port
Views: 2,311
Message 6 of 12

I know, but it's a pain in the ass sending it back and forth. I'm very satisfied with their work except that scratch. The new display seems to be better calibrated, and with no specks or dead pixels, like I had in my old one. It's just that **bleep** scratch Smiley LOL

Guru
Views: 2,276
Message 7 of 12

I completely understand.  Just me personally it would drive me crazy seeing that scratch.  A long time ago I had a problem with my IBM Thinkpad A30p.  IBM replaced the screen but didnt repair it quite right.  I didnt have time to send it in again.  They already had it twice within 4 weeks.  The 1st repair was bad.  They said nothing was wrong.  They felt factory preload should blue screen running IBM installed software so they never replaced the motherboard.  So I had to send it in a 2nd time after talking to a more reasonable support person.  Either way I was going to wait til i had more time to send it back for service.  1 year later I still didnt have time.  Now A30p still works but with the same damaged screen.  It reminds me to send in for repair instead of waiting whenever I see it.  Love the Flexview still after all these years except for the damaged right hand side of screen that was not repaired correctly and/or defective screen was used.

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an”Accepted Solution“!
 If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a "Kudo"!

I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. I will not respond to unsolicited private messages. Questions belong in the forum so it may   help other forum members as well.
 T490, TP 25 Retro, X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, W510 850 EVO, A30p
 Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

mmolotov
Serial Port
Views: 2,256
Message 8 of 12

I see where you're coming from, but these scratches are unavoidable on the X1Y3 if you use the touch screen without a screen protector. It's scratchable by design. If I have it replaced again, it will still get new scratches later from normal use. The good part is they are barely visible, only seen when screen is turned off, from certain angles. It has to be the "anti-glare coating" that gets easily scratched because glass wouldn't.

What I really would like to know is if that coating is removable/replaceable in the future, without replacing the whole display. Nobody seems to know.

mmolotov
Serial Port
Views: 2,169
Message 9 of 12

After some testing, I'm pretty sure it's not the pen that is the culprit, it's more likely dust particles that gets dragged across the screen that makes the scratches.

X1MK
Token Ring
Views: 1,935
Message 10 of 12

Are there any solutions regarding this problem? I really would like to know if scratches or maybe even the display coating itself are removable.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors