cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lexington251
Paper Tape
Views: 575
Message 1 of 3

X1 Yoga 3rd Gen: eGPU dock fried my Thunderbolt 3 port??

I've had my x1 yoga 3rd gen for about a year now, and love it. I've been using a thunderbolt 3 eGPU dock (aorus 1070 gaming box) as a dock for about the same amount of time now, since it gives me the convenience power and portability. Other than the occasional visual glitches and restarts, I haven't had any issues when I unplug my laptop from the eGPU dock, or plugging it in.

However, yesterday after I unplugged my laptop from the eGPU dock, my laptop kept making a "connected USB" and "disconnected USB" sound. It looked like my Thunderbolt 3 software app kept crashing and rebooting. I also noticed that none of my usb c/thunderbolt 3 ports were working; the laptop says it's charging with nothing plugged in, and when I tried plugging in a charger, it wouldn't charge.

The only solution I found was to disable Thunderbolt 3 in the BIOS, but I'm not sure if this is a software issue, or if there's a part of my motherboard that's fried. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for troubleshooting?

bromil
Fanfold Paper
Views: 531
Message 2 of 3

Re: X1 Yoga 3rd Gen: eGPU dock fried my Thunderbolt 3 port??

I'm having the exact same problem - I unplugged my X1 Yoga 3rd gen from my dock at home, and now it won't charge even with the power adapter now (keeps connecting and disconnecting every other second). Monitors work over over USB-C, but it won't charge and charging indicator on the side keeps flickering. Did you manage to find a solution?

This setup had been working fine for the last 6 months. Just to clarify, I have the same issue in Ubuntu, so it's unlikely it's a software fault. I recently updated the thunderbolt firmware - I wonder if that caused this.

UPDATE - I think I fixed this.

A little more background on what happened - I'd been using the Lenovo Graphics Dock with my machine at home and had updated the thunderbolt 3 firmware (1.0.12.0-N25TF10W) yesterday through lenovo vantage. Everything worked fine, I ran a few 3D applications last night and everything was working fine. This morning, I unplugged my laptop and took it to work. When I plugged in my charger, the indicator LED on the left would flicker and go off every couple of seconds. As you described, it was also making a "connected USB" and "disconnected USB" sound and would charge only intermittently. Connecting to another dock at work, a Caldigit TS3+, it seemed to work fine. I was also able to run an external monitor over a USB-C to DisplayPort cable. However, it won't charge off the official lenovo charger.

To fix this, re-install the thunderbolt 3 firmware (1.0.12.0-N25TF10W). This would require you to plug in your laptop to an external dock because the setup requires AC power and your charger probably won't work. I plugged it into the same Lenovo Graphics Dock and reinstalled the firmware. Seems to be working fine now.

I haven't tried replugging my graphics dock since then, but I think this last firmware broke eGPU support with this bug. Lenovo, please rollback this firmware update and give us a working firmware. It's unfortunate that a $2500 laptop is plagued with so many bugs, from this thunderbolt eGPU firmware to all the problems with modern sleep and lack of S3 suspend support.

bromil
Fanfold Paper
Views: 465
Message 3 of 3

Re: X1 Yoga 3rd Gen: eGPU dock fried my Thunderbolt 3 port??

Another update - the same problem happened this morning. I had to disable and re-enable thunderbolt in the bios before re-flashing the firmware. This is quite annoying..

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors