Options

52 Posts

10-08-2016

US

95 Signins

601 Page Views

• Views: 601
  • Message 1 of 12

X1 Yoga (3rd Gen) microphone only gets static/white noise.

2019-12-17, 23:36 PM

Been trying to figure this out - using the built-in microphone for Skype or other uses, all I get is very loud static/white noise that overpowers any actual sound I make.  Painfully loud for the people on the other end.  

Using a headset it works fine, but haven't been able to figure out why the built-in mic won't work.  Drivers up to date, tried messing with audio enhancements to no avail . . . Help??

Options

459 Posts

05-02-2019

US

322 Signins

7862 Page Views

• Views: 7862
  • Message 2 of 12

Re: X1 Yoga (3rd Gen) microphone only gets static/white noise.

2019-12-18, 11:40 AM

Hi !

When did the issue start? Did you notice any system updates prior to the issue?

Kindly follow these troubleshooting steps from our support website and observe if you'll see any changes. If the issue still persist, try to access safe mode then use the built-in microphone to further isolate the problem.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Options

52 Posts

10-08-2016

US

95 Signins

601 Page Views

• Views: 601
  • Message 3 of 12

2019-12-19, 20:56 PM

Hi @Van_Lenovo,

Thanks for replying.  As far as I know the mic has never worked properly since I got the laptop.  I didn't use it for a while, but it has this problem the first time I tried using Skype.  

The troubleshooting tips did not work, however I should note that some of the options I see are different than shown on the page you linked  (possibly due to windows updates since it was posted).  I had to go into my control panel in order to find the mic properties page.  When I clicked "listen to this device" and hit apply, I heard the very noisy static through my speakers until I unchecked the box and hit apply.  

While using the "listen to this device" I tried changing various enhancement options on the enhancements tab . . . Voice Recognition reduced the volume of the noise somewhat, and made it sound more like a white noise machine imitating a rushing stream.  Acoustic Echo Cancellation changed the quality of the noise an introduced a recurring pattern almost like a speedboat bouncing on waves as it speeds along.  Beam Forming made the noise sound much more digital and garbled.  Far Field Pickup had the same effect as Beam Forming.  Keystrok Suppression had no effect.  

I also turned all of my performance settings all the way down and put my ear next to the laptop until I was sure all internal fans were off, and this did not solve the problem, so I do not believe it is coming from fan noise.  It sounds more like static on an old TV set to a channel that doesn't exist.  

I tried updating the drivers through Device Manager, but it said I had the latest driver already installed.  I have not tried uninstalling all audio devices as yet, and hope I won't need to since the process is a little daunting, but perhaps I'll have to if nothing else works.  

Any help much appreciated! 

Options

2 Posts

03-05-2020

AU

3 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 4 of 12

Re:X1 Yoga (3rd Gen) microphone only gets static/white noise.

2020-03-05, 10:57 AM

Hi both

Manifesphoto, did you solve this problem? - I am having the same issue with my mic.

I tried to have an online meeting Today and the person on the other end got a lot of white/cracking noise that made our conversation impossible.

While my laptop was under warranty, I had to ask for assistance all the time to solve this. Now I am on my own and still with this problem.

If someone from lenovo reads this, please help us to solve it. The price of these machines makes unacceptable this kind of problem.

Options

1 Posts

03-25-2020

US

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 5 of 12

2020-03-25, 5:09 AM

I tried opening volume mixer and lowering the microphone volume down to about 10. That worked for me.

Options

2 Posts

04-07-2020

US

4 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 6 of 12

2020-04-07, 1:28 AM
I'm having the exact same issue this user is having. This must be a hardware flaw when building these laptops. what can we do? we paid a lot of money for these laptops.
Options

2 Posts

04-07-2020

US

4 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 7 of 12

2020-04-07, 1:35 AM
were you able to resolve your issue? I'm having the same problem. Thank you
Options

2 Posts

03-05-2020

AU

3 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 8 of 12

2020-04-12, 10:38 AM
I wasn't. and now the fingerprint reader is not working anymore...
Options

4 Posts

04-29-2020

US

5 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 9 of 12

2020-04-29, 14:58 PM

Has anyone received a satisfactory response to solve this issue? I've been through all steps recommended and it still sounds like I'm in a swirling toilet bowl. Thanks to coronavirus, video conference ability is essential for my business for a lengthy and undetermined time going forward. I can't Teams, Skype, Zoom, WebEx or even use my Skype phone now. Had worked well for past 6 months until about 3 weeks ago.

Would love to see a real solution to this obvious problem that is apparently endemic to Lenovo machines. Discarding a pricey laptop that is barely a year old because of a crap microphone or audio drivers seems like overkill, but if there is no fix, I'll have to move on from this and go back to Apple, I guess.

Lenovo needs to solve this with real solutions ASAP. Please help. 

Options

2 Posts

05-19-2020

US

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 10 of 12

2020-05-19, 7:28 AM

I am having the exact same issue. To my knowledge, the mic has never worked. I've tried reinstalling the drivers a few times and nothing helps. Lenovo support, please come up with a solution - this is really challenging to be working from home with a faulty mic. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete