Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

20 Posts

11-16-2017

Kazakhstan

50 Signins

705 Page Views

• Views: 705
  • Message 31 of 191

Re: X1 CPU frequency pegged at max

2018-03-30, 7:05 AM

@someotherguy

>The only thing I know for sure at this point is that the behavior is intentional and by design.

I suspect there might be some, ehm, ambiguity in what we call "the behavior".

I am talking about an _idle_ CPU that still clocks at 4 GHz. As described here:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-Yoga-3rd-gen-CPU-frequency-pegged-at-max/m-p/3997316/highlight/true#M82931

If this behaviour is indeed intended, I'd call it a questionnable decision, to put it mildly.

Yet other users in this thread do _not_ observe this behaviour. Moreover, it is not confirmed by tests at notebookcheck.net. An idle notebook with a CPU clocked at 4 GHz would consume way more than measured 8 W on average.

Options

64 Posts

03-19-2018

Sweden

155 Signins

667 Page Views

• Views: 667
  • Message 32 of 191

2018-03-30, 7:37 AM

someotherguy, there already is a way to disable the behavior. See my post about how to force a Power Saver plan. Not set the power slide to power saver but actually changing the plan. If you do, the CPU goes down to around 0.8 GHz while idling, even on AC, and the fan stops running. So this is already tested. This design does cause unnecessary heat and unnecessary noise.

mcvla, I'm not sure what you mean when you say that the others in this thread do not experience the same issue. Several of us do, myself included. That's why we are active here.

Options

64 Posts

03-19-2018

Sweden

155 Signins

667 Page Views

• Message 33 of 191

2018-03-30, 7:39 AM

@someotherguy

I failed to ping you. See my post above.

Options

12954 Posts

06-06-2011

Russian Federation

17896 Signins

178225 Page Views

• Views: 178225
  • Message 34 of 191

2018-03-30, 6:00 AM

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #Retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Options

6940 Posts

10-29-2009

United States of America

17813 Signins

166187 Page Views

• Views: 166187
  • Message 35 of 191

2018-03-30, 13:31 PM

Guys,

I am still looking at this.  I am using ThinkPad X280 which has the same behavior as ThinkPad X1 Yoga 3rd.

I am using two identical systems.  The first system is using the Lenovo factory preload, and has the behavior where the CPU is pegged at 4GHz on AC power regardless of the power mode slider.  The second system is a clean installation of Windows 10, where I have used Windows Update and Lenovo System Update to apply the drivers and software.  This system behaves as you expect it to:  CPU pegged at 4GHz when the power slider is set at "Best Performance", and goes to lower speed as you move the slider to the left.  In summary, the preloaded system has the problem and the clean-installed system does not.

What I know so far is that the behavior has something to do with the power plan.  Although it is the "balanced" plan on both systems, and I can't find any obvious setting within the power plan that causes this behavior, what I discovered is that if I export the power plan on the clean-installed system, and import it on the preloaded system, the problem is gone.  So, MarcusO is correct that using a different power plan (other than "balanced" in the factory preload) will avoid the behavior.  My next step is to dig into the power plan to find out what is different between the preloaded "balanced" plan and the clean-install "balanced" plan.

When mcvla says that others aren't seeing the issue, maybe it's because they aren't using the factory preload.

Anyway, I think we will be able to get to the bottom of this.  Your hardware is not defective.  Thanks for your patience and I appreciate any comments you have.

Options

97 Posts

03-01-2018

United States of America

139 Signins

895 Page Views

• Views: 895
  • Message 36 of 191

2018-03-30, 13:46 PM

Hi all,

Apologies before for something which was unclear, when MarcusO said he had avoided it by using another power plan, I didn't go enough posts back to see that he had based it off of a plan that wasn't Balanced, so when I said it didn't work for me (using the same powercfg steps) it was using a plan based on Balanced but with all battery/AC changes removed. So I was still thinking it was BIOS for that reason.

It sounds like all is well in terms of a way forward; Lenovo can reproduce, have confirmed that it is not expected/desired behavior; etc. someotherguy, if you don't mind posting back now and again with any updates it'd be appreciated.

Options

20 Posts

11-16-2017

Kazakhstan

50 Signins

705 Page Views

• Views: 705
  • Message 37 of 191

2018-03-30, 16:17 PM

@MarcusO

>>I'm not sure what you mean when you say that the others in this thread do not experience the same issue.

My bad ). My text should have been "Yet _some_ other users in this thread..." Never meant all _the_ others, of course.

@jefferai

>>someotherguy, if you don't mind posting back now and again with any updates it'd be appreciated.

+1.

It's a pleasure to watch as someone smart digs into a problem and resolves it.

>>This system behaves as you expect it to:  CPU pegged at 4GHz when the power slider is set at "Best Performance", and goes to lower speed as you move the slider to the left. 

Thank you for this post. I never knew that Windows keeps the CPU at maximum speed, if the slider is set at "Best Performance." And never thought that an idle CPU at maximum speed may consume so little. (~1.7 W @3,2 GHz vs ~1.0W @0.8 GHz in the case of my 6600U). So my claim "An idle notebook with a CPU clocked at 4 GHz would consume way more than measured 8 W on average" is unfounded, and I must withdraw it with apologies. :shuffle: 

Options

6940 Posts

10-29-2009

United States of America

17813 Signins

166187 Page Views

• Message 38 of 191

2018-03-30, 16:30 PM

wrote:

Thank you for this post. I never knew that Windows keeps the CPU at maximum speed, if the slider is set at "Best Performance." And never thought that an idle CPU at maximum speed may consume so little. @(~1.7 W @3,2 GHz vs ~1.0W @0.8 GHz in the case of my 6600U).

Right, and for 8th-gen processor, it's even less.  That's why ThinkPad team believes this behavior is OK for AC power.  But I think they didn't consider a possible fan impact.  It will take them some time to check it.

Options

64 Posts

03-19-2018

Sweden

155 Signins

667 Page Views

• Message 39 of 191

2018-03-30, 16:36 PM

@someotherguy

I'm pleased to hear that you have isolated the cause. A possible solution for us more tech-savvy users could be that you just posted the exported good Balanced power plan for us to import. But perhaps there are good reasons to wait for some other kind of solution?

@mcvla

From what I've read, there are minor latency benefits to get from having the processor idle at or close to max speed. So I guess that's why that's the preferred behavior for "Best performance" or for the old High Performance power plans. I'm happy to have my X1 work that way if I indeed set it to Best performance, but not for any other setting.

Anyway, this seems to be moving quickly now and I'm pleased to see that @someotherguy is indeed checking back in now and then. Keep up the good work!

Options

6940 Posts

10-29-2009

United States of America

17813 Signins

166187 Page Views

• Message 40 of 191

2018-03-30, 18:19 PM

wrote:

I'm pleased to hear that you have isolated the cause. A possible solution for us more tech-savvy users could be that you just posted the exported good Balanced power plan for us to import. But perhaps there are good reasons to wait for some other kind of solution?

I would like to keep working with ThinkPad team to understand what it is about the power plan that causes this behavior, before I consider to provide a plan to import.  I don't want to cause some other problem by trying to work-around this one, so I feel like I should get some more information first.  Also, I'm about to go away for the holiday weekend so I probably won't be on the forum again until middle of next week.  Thanks for your patience.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)