Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jefferai
Punch Card
Views: 9,466
Message 1 of 178

X1 Yoga 3rd gen. CPU frequency pegged at max

Hi all,

I have an X1 Yoga 3rd gen. When plugged in, the CPU stays pegged to 4 GHz. This by extension means the fan is spinning up and down most of the time it's plugged in, even when sitting pretty idle (such as when typing this message).

I've tried different performance sider settings. I've tried going into BIOS and ensuring Speed Step is enabled. I've tried setting the BIOS power profile to Balanced instead of Max Performance. I've tried setting the other powre setting (I forget the name) to Battery Optimized even when on AC instead of Max Performance. I've gotten all driver updates installed. Nothing works -- the moment I take out the power cord it drops to 800Mhz idle and steps up and down as you'd expect, and the moment I put it back in it stays peggd at 4 GHz.

I've heard that in the past some people had luck switching the power profile in Windows from Balanced to High Peformance and then back to Balanced, but of course in the latest build of Windows only Balanced is available.

I work in a quiet environment and this constant fan spinning up and down is driving me nuts, to the point where I'm thinking of returning it. Anyone know how to fix this?

Moderator Note: Edited subject to match content.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 9,436
Message 2 of 178

Re: X1 CPU frequency pegged at max

Look in Task Manager to see who is using the CPU.  My 3rd gen x1 yoga is quiet.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
jefferai
Punch Card
Views: 9,431
Message 3 of 178

Hi Rich,

Nothing is using the CPU. It's sitting at around 3%, but still the frequency is pegged at 4GHz. The moment I disconnect from AC, it goes down to 800Mhz, throttles up and down with load, and the fan never comes on (unless I keep it highly loaded). Plug it in, it jumps back up to 4GHz and stays there, and the fan eventually starts coming and going even with no-to-very-low load. Pull it out, 800 MHz and stepping, plug it in, 4GHz and locked. I can do that all day.

Something is clearly interfering with Speed Step when it's plugged in, but I can find no BIOS, Windows, or Lenovo Vantage setting that makes a difference.

jefferai
Punch Card
Views: 9,407
Message 4 of 178

I have another piece of info:

There is one BIOS setting that affects this, which is Speed Step. Disabling it keeps the processor pegged at 1.9GHz instead of 4GHz, so it's still pegged, just at a lower setting -- I'm guessing the Speed Step setting is also controlling Turbo Boost. Active Thermal Management setting doesn't affect this at all, neither do the various Balanced vs. Max Performance settings.

I also found, in Lenovo Vantage's Smart Settings section, the Intelligent Cooling feature. When I turn that off and select "Cool & quiet" instead of "Performance" there is no change in behavior, even though I'd expect Cool & quiet to do exactly what I am looking for.

Interestingly, when the fan does kick on I see the frequency step down, exactly what you'd expect during thermal management scenarios. So it's not like it can't step down on A/C, it's just being told, if the current heat situation allows, to stay up at max frequency, even though I want the opposite of that.

zertank
Paper Tape
Views: 9,224
Message 5 of 178

So is this problem fixed? I just got my X1 Yoga G3 and am annoyed by the fan issue too...
jefferai
Punch Card
Views: 9,214
Message 6 of 178

Nope. I even went down the path of custom power profiles created on the command line, no luck.

I filed a support ticket explaining the problem and I never heard back, but a box to send it in to the depot appeared at my door anyways...and my warranty is on-site.

I mostly love the machine, but not impressed so far with the support.

zertank
Paper Tape
Views: 9,211
Message 7 of 178

I changed the speedstep to "off" and the fan noice is reduced! "Balanced" profile for both A/C and Battery.

Of course now the CPU is running at 1.9 Ghz instead of 4 Ghz, I'm willing to give up some performance to trade the quietness. (can't notice much of performance degradation as I don't run heavy apps on this laptop.) The CPU temperature ranges now between 51-60 dgree, and with speedstep on it was 71-80.

I know this is a work-around other than fix, but hopefully the upcoming bios update will address this issue.
jefferai
Punch Card
Views: 9,207
Message 8 of 178

Yep, that does "work" but it's definitely non-ideal.

When playing with custom power profiles in Windows, if I set the maximum CPU frequency to 99% of max, it would be the same behavior...it'd disable turbo boost entirely.

The irritating thing is, when copying the same values in the power porfile as is used on battery for AC power, it behaves differently in practice. It suggests that this is a BIOS-level issue. The fact that the various BIOS settings don't actually _do_ anything (as I posted about before) suggests that this kind of toggle is supposed to exist but doesn't work properly.

MarcusO
SCSI Port
Views: 9,133
Message 9 of 178

Re: X1 Yoga 3rd gen. CPU frequency pegged at max

I'm seeing the same behavior. I keep pulling the plug to get the machine to run more silently but that shouldn't be necessary.

Have you heard back from Lenovo support yet?

I will call them as soon as I have some spare time, with reference to this thread. I'm sorry to see that you are experiencing this too but I'm relieved that I'm not alone. It will make it easier to get Lenovo to listen.

Highlighted
jefferai
Punch Card
Views: 9,090
Message 10 of 178

Re: X1 Yoga 3rd gen. CPU frequency pegged at max

Hi there,

I called this morning about this and two other driver-related issues (fingerprint reader forgetting my fingerprint and wifi slowing down over time until I reconnect it). First I got routed to the hardware department who said that I could return the laptop to the depot so they could analyze the software/drivers, except that since those other two problems are intermittent the person agreed that it was unlikely to actually bear fruit. He tried a couple of times to have me reimage the machine, which I refused since the problems have been there since day 1 with a fresh Lenovo image, and then transferred me to Software support.

Software support proceeded to immediately tell me that I didn't have a warranty for software support, and that issues with drivers are software, even though they're required for the hardware to work. So they refused to talk to me about it, and refused to get any information over to engineering about the problems I was having. I pointed out that there have been BIOS updates to fix issues I've been seeing, and asked how people get information to the engineers for BIOS updates (likely required for this particular issue with pegging the CPU), and he said that all feedback if you don't have a software warranty comes from forum posting. When I said I'd already posted and nobody from Lenovo replied, he said, and I kid you not, to just keep opening up new forum threads until someone does. He also suggested that any issues I'm having came from "driver conflicts" from Windows Update installing updates. When I replied that it wasn't reasonable to think that people wouldn't install security patches and other recommended OS patches, and that it wouldn't matter anyways since these have been issues since day 1, he seized on that last part to say "oh, since the beginning, then that's warranty support you need" -- and proceeded to transfer me back to hardware support.

Back at hardware support, I gave the original case number, explained the situation, and the person said, let me look into this -- then connected me with someone from software support. If you thought that they'd tell the person to provide support because it's a hardware issue, you'd be wrong, because the new software support person immediately proceeded to tell me that I didn't have a software warranty, that it was because of "driver conflicts" again, and so on. Rather frustrated I spent a 30 second monologue saying how ridiculous the idea of neeidng a software warranty to report malfunctioning hardware drivers/BIOS was, he simply didn't respond. I could hear him breathing on the other end of the line and occasionally other small noises through the line, but he stopped saying anything and didn't respond when I asked if he was still there (and never said anything to ask if I was). He was clearly waiting for me to just hang up, because remember, they're not allowed to hang up on you. After five minutes though, he hung up on me anyways.

An hour well spent.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors