Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jefferai
Punch Card
Views: 739
Message 21 of 157

Re: X1 CPU frequency pegged at max

I actually went through that entire exact workflow with powercfg! I copied all of the settings from the battery plan to a plan marked for AC -- and no change. It's totally ignored. As I said before, even BIOS changes didn't matter, which makes me think that fundamentally this is a BIOS issue.

I did note that if you modify the max CPU frequency percentage from 100 to even 99 it basically disables turbo boost -- so 99 brings it down to 1.9 or 2GHz, I forget which -- but then it just stays pegged at *that* max setting.

They're ordering parts for you because (see my earlier post) unless you can get someone to listen about firmware issues when you haven't paid for a software support plan, all the warranty support people can do is replace hardware. Even when they admit it's not likely to make a difference.

jefferai
Punch Card
Views: 739
Message 22 of 157

Nope. Just a lot of runaround.
MarcusO
SCSI Port
Views: 727
Message 23 of 157

I called support today. Like several times before, the Swedish support was closed so I got transferred to the UK support. They couldn't do much though. They noted that parts have been ordered and was surprised to hear that I have not been contacted - especially since the activity history says that I *have* been contacted.

When I asked them to put me in touch with someone who can help me they asked me to call the Swedish support number. But that's of course what I did. The only reason I was speaking with the UK support was that there's no one there to pick up the phone at the Swedish support. Not today and not when I've called them before.

It's not the best support experience I have had, to put it mildly. You would think that you should at least be able to get in touch with someone when you've bought a rather expensive businness laptop.

MarcusO
SCSI Port
Views: 689
Message 24 of 157

I finally got hold of support and I got to talk with a professional and knowledgeble agent. I have good hopes that this will move forward.

Apparently, similar issues with older models have been solved by replacing the motherboard. That's why they ordered hardware for me. The suspicion was that the BIOS is currupt or that there is a glitch on the motherboard that prevents the right signals to reach the processor.

However, when I told him that I have managed to make the CPU wind down by switching to the Power Saver plan, he acknowledged that this is most likely a software issue. I suggested that that also indicates that it's a Windows configuration issue, not a BIOS issue, and the agent agreed.

(jefferai, I know that you suspect the BIOS. I did too but only until I realized that my X1 works as suspected when on the Power Saver plan. Do you buy my theory?) 

The agent will now raise the issue to second level support for further investigation. Since things work as expected on the Power Saver plan, I'm in no hurry. I told him to take his time and to work towards a good rather than a quick solution.

He will keep me posted and I will keep you guys posted here, but don't expect things to move too quickly.

FYI, I ran CPU-Z's basic benchmark test to see how the Power Saver plan affects the performance of my laptop. I compared with the perfomance on the Balanced plan with the slider set to "Better Perfomance". When on battery, I see no difference. When on AC, I see a 5-10 % performance loss with the Power Saver plan. So I'm not getting all the performance I paid for but the loss is neglecitble, at least for my usage patterns.

That might be a comfort. Just set your laptops to the Power Saver plan while waiting for a proper solution. It's a bit tricky to do that on Windows 10 but I've outlined the procedure in an earlier post.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 680
Message 25 of 157

All,

I've been discussing with ThinkPad team about this topic.  What I learned is that this is a designed behavior of new ThinkPad with 8th-gen Intel processor.  According to Intel, they expect the highest performance by setting the CPU at max speed without any power consumption impact on AC.  So, this is the behavior you are seeing - max speed on AC, and changing speed on battery power,

As pointed out in this thread, it's possible that this behavior causes fan to run too much, so this is what we are checking on now. 

MarcusO
SCSI Port
Views: 642
Message 26 of 157

mcvla
Core Memory
Views: 623
Message 27 of 157

@

I've been discussing with ThinkPad team about this topic.  What I learned is that this is a designed behavior of new ThinkPad with 8th-gen Intel processor.  According to Intel, they expect the highest performance by setting the CPU at max speed without any power consumption impact on AC.  So, this is the behavior you are seeing - max speed on AC, and changing speed on battery power,

Could you please explain this post. It doesn't make sense to me.

>_they_ expect

Who are they? Intel, or TP team?

>_expect_ the highest performance by setting the CPU at max speed

The effect on performance is pretty obvious, isn't it?

>without _any_ power consumption impact

And this is impossible.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but you're essentially saying that Intel SpeedStep technology has been intentionally disabled when on AC, I can't believe this is "a designed behavior".

Highlighted
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 615
Message 28 of 157

The only thing I know for sure at this point is that the behavior is intentional and by design.  I have asked for details and additional testing to prove that this design is not making fan run too much.  I have also asked if there's a way to disable the behavior (such that the idle CPU will be allowed to run at a lower speed on AC) so that you can test it and let us know if you think the fan runs less.  I appreciate your patience while I work internally to get more information.  Thanks!

mcvla
Core Memory
Views: 577
Message 29 of 157

@someotherguy

>The only thing I know for sure at this point is that the behavior is intentional and by design.

I suspect there might be some, ehm, ambiguity in what we call "the behavior".

I am talking about an _idle_ CPU that still clocks at 4 GHz. As described here:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-Yoga-3rd-gen-CPU-frequency-pegged-at-max/m...

If this behaviour is indeed intended, I'd call it a questionnable decision, to put it mildly.

Yet other users in this thread do _not_ observe this behaviour. Moreover, it is not confirmed by tests at notebookcheck.net. An idle notebook with a CPU clocked at 4 GHz would consume way more than measured 8 W on average.

MarcusO
SCSI Port
Views: 566
Message 30 of 157

someotherguy, there already is a way to disable the behavior. See my post about how to force a Power Saver plan. Not set the power slide to power saver but actually changing the plan. If you do, the CPU goes down to around 0.8 GHz while idling, even on AC, and the fan stops running. So this is already tested. This design does cause unnecessary heat and unnecessary noise.

mcvla, I'm not sure what you mean when you say that the others in this thread do not experience the same issue. Several of us do, myself included. That's why we are active here.

Top Kudoed Authors