Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

218 Posts

04-24-2018

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

258 Signins

2087 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 2087
  • Message 241 of 269

Re: X1 Yoga 3rd gen HDR display not HDR capable

2018-07-15, 6:46 AM

wrote:

Sadly HDR has been faked by so many companies claiming HDR compatiability.

Manufacturers of TV's,  Monitors, Software companies,  Streaming Devices and now Laptops.  The industry has created this mess themselves.

The whole thing is  a complete mess,  With consumer confidence in HDR dropping.   The whole thing should be scrapped and relaunched sometime in the future.

I beg to disagree. First of all, HDR is still quite new and thus not properly adopted by various parties yet (Windows 10’s support will get better in the future). Secondly like all things there are various technologies delivering it. Remember HD DVD vs Blu-Ray? And for decades we’ve been having to deal with the whole Dolby vs Datasat encoding complexity. Today we have consumer DACs that can decode the former but not the latter, resulting in not being able to play a majority movies with audio. And with 3D glasses we have polarisation vs colour shift vs active shutter technologies. HDR is no different. The market is free for everyone to compete in.

Coming back to HDR on PCs, I am happy with my setup that allows me to play HDR movie files, 4K UHD Blu-Rays and HDR games. It takes a bit of understanding to set things up correctly for each, but it opens up the possibility of enjoying HDR where it’s supported. Yes it’s inconvenient and not seamless but it’s sure better than not having HDR.

What I dislike is that Dolby is seemingly ‘watering down’ their brand by making state of the art tech available to cheap systems that fall far short of being able to deliver the experience. Prime example being Dolby Atmos. This was only available in selected cinemas that invested in installing a large number of speakers on the ceiling as Atmos is a multi channel (128) audio format. Today the same brand is found in laptops with 2 speakers and TV sound bars. This confuses consumers. e.g. why spend tens of thousands installing tens of speakers in a room of a TV sound bar also has Atmos? The same seems to have happened to Dolby Vision....

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon (6th Gen), ASUS PG27UQ Quantum Dot UHD 4K HDR 144 Hz Monitor
Options

77 Posts

03-17-2018

United States of America

105 Signins

945 Page Views

• Views: 945
  • Message 242 of 269

2018-07-15, 14:10 PM

Evidence of this confusion is found throughout threads like this where some are mixing up the terminology and the medium(s) while trying to figure it all out. Dolby et all sure seem to enjoy making this difficult for themselves....or perhaps, consumers...who may benefit them by thinking they're getting one thing when they bought another.

Thinkpad X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, Lenovo TB3 Graphics Dock, Samsung UH 750 QLED UHD 4K Monitor
Options

27 Posts

12-20-2009

France

22 Signins

210 Page Views

• Views: 210
  • Message 243 of 269

2018-07-21, 19:55 PM

Hi,

I have just made a few tests with Edge (Netflix/AmazonPrimeVideo) + Netflix App + Video App + Dolby Vision App.

Observation : 

If 'HDR is working', Dolby Vision App change should have a visual effect change on the played video (ex : dark or vivid).

Sometimes you also get a 'Dolby Vision' or 'HDR' caption at the first time of the beginning on the streaming.

My results : 

Edge/Netflix : working OK

Netflix App : working OK

Local Video Player : working OK (with the samples found in this thread)

Edge/AmazonPrimeVideo : does not work (or maybe I could not find any valid HDR content)

Strangely, when displaying the stream stats (with CTRL-ALT-SHIFT-D within Netflix App) it does not display HDR in the codec infos.

Per this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbu8dstbhuQ)

HDR should display (hevc, hdr, prk)

but mine displays (hevc, dv, prk)

What about on your side ?

Regards,

Kristo.

Options

218 Posts

04-24-2018

258 Signins

2087 Page Views

• Message 244 of 269

2018-07-21, 20:07 PM

wrote:

Hi,

I have just made a few tests with Edge (Netflix/AmazonPrimeVideo) + Netflix App + Video App + Dolby Vision App.

Observation : 

If 'HDR is working', Dolby Vision App change should have a visual effect change on the played video (ex : dark or vivid).

Sometimes you also get a 'Dolby Vision' or 'HDR' caption at the first time of the beginning on the streaming.

My results : 

Edge/Netflix : working OK

Netflix App : working OK

Local Video Player : working OK (with the samples found in this thread)

Edge/AmazonPrimeVideo : does not work (or maybe I could not find any valid HDR content)

Strangely, when displaying the stream stats (with CTRL-ALT-SHIFT-D within Netflix App) it does not display HDR in the codec infos.

Per this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbu8dstbhuQ)

HDR should display (hevc, hdr, prk)

but mine displays (hevc, dv, prk)

What about on your side ?

Regards,

Kristo.

With Netflix, sometimes it's hard to tell whether the movie being played supports HDR or DV or both. In any case, if you play a supported one on your Lenovo laptop, of coz it will say DV. The Lenovo screen DOES NOT support HDR so you will never see (hevc, hdr, prk) and if the content on Netflix only supports HDR, it will play in SDR on your screen. When you go to the title screen of any movie on Netflix, you will see only either a HDR or DV icon, not both. I see DV on the laptop and HDR on my desktop PC.

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon (6th Gen), ASUS PG27UQ Quantum Dot UHD 4K HDR 144 Hz Monitor
Options

16 Posts

10-28-2017

United States of America

14 Signins

290 Page Views

• Views: 290
  • Message 245 of 269

2018-07-21, 21:45 PM

Totally off topic but related!

So when can we have Dolby Vision enabled on the X1 Yoga 2nd with OLED screens?

I understood 2 things from the debate on this thread:

1. 8 bit panels

2. Sofware based HDR or something being used by Dolby

Hence my question; the OLED panel on the 2nd gen X1 Yoga is 8 bit. So guessing no hardware limitation there?

Also I see thisn when i try to run the demo file with the default win 10 video app, (with Dolby Vision app installed):

So if this is only a licensing issue, would it not be easy to resolve? Show some love to the 2nd gen owners pelase with the awesome OLED screens!

Options

136 Posts

06-21-2016

Germany

279 Signins

2226 Page Views

• Views: 2226
  • Message 246 of 269

2018-07-22, 10:45 AM

The problem is that the OLED-Panel from the 2nd Gen is not bright enough. For DV you need at least 500 nits. (OLED has around 270 nits)

Options

218 Posts

04-24-2018

258 Signins

2087 Page Views

• Message 247 of 269

2018-07-22, 11:16 AM

wrote:

The problem is that the OLED-Panel from the 2nd Gen is not bright enough. For DV you need at least 500 nits. (OLED has around 270 nits)

But how did they mange to install the DV App on the 2nd Gen Yoga?? It should have said the system isn’t compatible? 

Options

16 Posts

10-28-2017

United States of America

14 Signins

290 Page Views

• Message 248 of 269

2018-07-22, 17:25 PM
I have a stock Lenovo distributed Win10 running on the machine. Normal search in the Windows Store App did not show the app. There was a link in this thread to the app on the web. When I clicked that link it found and installed the app using the installed Win Store.

But then I get the authorization message when I try to run the demo file, image pasted above.
Options

16 Posts

10-28-2017

United States of America

14 Signins

290 Page Views

• Message 249 of 269

2018-07-22, 17:25 PM
Hmmm, yeah that is one missing capability.
Options

5580 Posts

04-25-2008

United States of America

39988 Signins

767843 Page Views

• Views: 767843
  • Message 250 of 269

[X1 Yoga 3rd/X1 Carbon 6th] Does Dolby Atmos (audio) work only with headphones?

2018-07-27, 15:28 PM
USB-C: Just cos it fits don't mean it works.
I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms