Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 861
Message 71 of 99

Re: X1 Yoga 3rd gen HDR display not HDR capable

Hi Guys, allow me to shed some light on this issue.  I dont claim to have all the answers but, will track them down for you.  

To take full advantage of your display, you will need a few things.

1. The monitor .inf refrenced earlier in this thread.  This includes the wide color gamut and High Dynamic Range structures required by Windows 10 1803 to enable HDR displays.  It also includes the Dolby Vision whitelisting and color calibration parameters (more on this below).

2. The Dolby Vision App will be released very soon.  We will push an update through Lenovo Vantage which will allow you to download the app and take full advantage of your display.

I hope this helps explain a few things and I will report back when I can provide a firm date on the App release.

Thank you for your understnading and being a loyal customer!

BrianSu
HDMI
Views: 847
Message 72 of 99

Hi Jon,

This is the best news we’ve heard so far and what everyone had been waiting to hear. Thank you so much for clarifying the situation for everyone.

Much Appreciated!!!

Kind Regards.
Pepsinio
Punch Card
Views: 816
Message 73 of 99

The .inf file does not enable the HDR display in my case. Can you elaborate a bit more how it should work?
psun786
Punch Card
Views: 810
Message 74 of 99

@Pepsinio wrote:
The .inf file does not enable the HDR display in my case. Can you elaborate a bit more how it should work?

The .inf file needs the upcoming Dolby Vision app for HDR to work. Sort like how Dolby Atoms is working on Win10 right now. So we have to wait for release of Dolby Vision App

psun786
Punch Card
Views: 788
Message 75 of 99

I guess we can assume 10 bit is not needed for Dolby Vision HDR, because without fw revision, this is a 8 bit panel.

But I can understand. Unlikely HDR10, Dolby Vision is proprietary so maybe they can change the requirement/standard as they see fit.

BrianSu
HDMI
Views: 779
Message 76 of 99

As I’ve mentioned over and over, movle

devices don’t have to comply the same way a TV or monitor does. Case in point is the iPhone X that supports HDR 10 and Dolby Vision with an 8 Bit display.

jackzh2011
SCSI Port
Views: 726
Message 77 of 99

@Jon_P wrote:

Hi Guys, allow me to shed some light on this issue.  I dont claim to have all the answers but, will track them down for you.  

To take full advantage of your display, you will need a few things.

1. The monitor .inf refrenced earlier in this thread.  This includes the wide color gamut and High Dynamic Range structures required by Windows 10 1803 to enable HDR displays.  It also includes the Dolby Vision whitelisting and color calibration parameters (more on this below).

2. The Dolby Vision App will be released very soon.  We will push an update through Lenovo Vantage which will allow you to download the app and take full advantage of your display.

I hope this helps explain a few things and I will report back when I can provide a firm date on the App release.

Thank you for your understnading and being a loyal customer!

Hello Jon,

Thank you so much for the update. I just have one question about the panel. As you have probably read in this thread that the EDID seems to say that the display panels on X1Y3 and X1C6 are only 8 bit, which from a hardware point view is not able to support the HDR10 or Dolby Vision, as described by their tech specs (12 bit needed). I was wondering if you could comment a bit more on exactly how Lenovo will be supporting Dolby Vision? Is it true Dolby Vision or is it more of a software emulation through down sampling? As well, would all HDR material be supported or only proprietary Dolby Vision HDR content be supported, like only Dolby Atmos audio makes the best of Dolby Atmos?

Thanks a lot!

Jack

BrianSu
HDMI
Views: 710
Message 78 of 99

my iPhone X has an 8 Bit panel. When I play DV or HDR 10 videos side-by-side with another model, the difference is so obvious. Scenes are darker etc. HDR looks awesome on the X. So no you don’t need 10 or 12 Bit panels to support. It depends on how the manufacturer implements the technology. The resulting experience may not be what it’s supposed to be but this is a hybrid step towards full support in the future. 

Roman79
Punch Card
Views: 659
Message 79 of 99

Again, its not true wat are you wrote.

First of all iPhone X is using 8bit Display wit FRC (thats a hardwarefeature for dithering to compensate steps in gradients when panel cant display 1 billion colors also known as 10bit). The Lenovo dont have any FRC. So you wont get same good result like on iPhone X. Then, i own the iPhone X too, you cant compare a small Display like the iPhone X is having one with the one from Lenovo. The Lenovos Screen is much much bigger. On iPhone you will not often see the differenz from 8 to 10 bit. But on the Lenovo you will. 

And the most common problem is, on iPhone X you "only" consume HDR content. Many of us bought the Yoga 3rd or Carbon 6th to create und edit HDR Content. But i cant do this accurate, because no HDR option and no HDR Display. The way Lenovo is trying to go is, in my eyes, a dirty try to give us HDR in their way, but that not the way HDR should be. Its a little fraud to me.

BrianSu
HDMI
Views: 656
Message 80 of 99

Are you sure iPhone X supports FRC? I didn't think it did.

Top Kudoed Authors