BrianSu
HDMI
Views: 1,042
Message 101 of 264

Re: X1 Yoga 3rd gen HDR display not HDR capable

@Jon_P wrote:

@BrianSu wrote:

Hi,

So I've realised that playing HDR videos on YouTube via Edge is only possible when my X1 Carbon with DV screen is plugged into external USB-C power. As soon as I run it on the internal battery, HDR disappears from the list of resolutions.

Why does this happen?

Thanks.

The Windows default is to "optimize for battery life" when playing videos on battery power.  You will need to change this setting in the video playback settings to "optimize for video quality."  This should solve your issue when on battery power.   

Hello,

Yes that's right I've found this out a few weeks ago. Thank you.

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon (6th Gen), ASUS PG27UQ Quantum Dot UHD 4K HDR 144 Hz Monitor
yfnew
Token Ring
Views: 1,001
Message 102 of 264

@Jon_P wrote:

Hi Guys, allow me to shed some light on this issue.  I dont claim to have all the answers but, will track them down for you.  

To take full advantage of your display, you will need a few things.

1. The monitor .inf refrenced earlier in this thread.  This includes the wide color gamut and High Dynamic Range structures required by Windows 10 1803 to enable HDR displays.  It also includes the Dolby Vision whitelisting and color calibration parameters (more on this below).

2. The Dolby Vision App will be released very soon.  We will push an update through Lenovo Vantage which will allow you to download the app and take full advantage of your display.

I hope this helps explain a few things and I will report back when I can provide a firm date on the App release.

Thank you for your understnading and being a loyal customer!

Hi Jon_P,

It has been more than a month since you mentioned that the Dolby Vision App will be released "very soon". As far as I know, it is still not available either through Lenovo Vantage or through Lenovo support website. Do you have any update for this issue? Thanks

jefferai
Punch Card
Views: 990
Message 103 of 264

This includes the wide color gamut and High Dynamic Range structures required by Windows 10 1803 to enable HDR displays.

Additionally, can you explain why Windows still claims it's SDR only after installing it?

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 825
Message 104 of 264

@yfnew wrote:

@Jon_P wrote:

Hi Guys, allow me to shed some light on this issue.  I dont claim to have all the answers but, will track them down for you.  

1. The monitor .inf refrenced earlier in this thread.  This includes the wide color gamut and High Dynamic Range structures required by Windows 10 1803 to enable HDR displays.  It also includes the Dolby Vision whitelisting and color calibration parameters (more on this below).

2. The Dolby Vision App will be released very soon.  We will push an update through Lenovo Vantage which will allow you to download the app and take full advantage of your display.

I hope this helps explain a few things and I will report back when I can provide a firm date on the App release.

Hi Jon_P,

It has been more than a month since you mentioned that the Dolby Vision App will be released "very soon". As far as I know, it is still not available either through Lenovo Vantage or through Lenovo support website. Do you have any update for this issue? Thanks

Sorry for the delayed response.  We are targetting July 9th for the Dolby Vision App availablity.  thanks!

BrianSu
HDMI
Views: 810
Message 105 of 264

@Jon_P wrote:

@yfnew wrote:

@Jon_P wrote:

Hi Jon_P,

Sorry for the delayed response.  We are targetting July 9th for the Dolby Vision App availablity.  thanks!

Brilliant news. Thanks for the update. That's in less than a fortnight Smiley Happy

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon (6th Gen), ASUS PG27UQ Quantum Dot UHD 4K HDR 144 Hz Monitor
Roman79
Punch Card
Views: 787
Message 106 of 264

Why great news? Will not change the situation that the Display cant display correct HDR content. (no BT.2020 no 10bit output from Host). This app will also only adapt HDR Content to SDR.

Its still false advertised. The Display is still no HDR Display.

Jclv
Paper Tape
Views: 760
Message 107 of 264

What are you going to do about it other than repeating yourself over and over again? What do you get by repeating it? (Honest question. I really dont get why people do what you are doing.)

psun786
Punch Card
Views: 746
Message 108 of 264

Unsatisfied and product not as expected maybe. But this is hardly false advertising. HDR is the abbreviation for “High Dynamic Range”. It is not a specification but a general term for high contrast image (like high fidelity sound lol). Any implementation that yield improved dynamic range can be called HDR. It doesn’t have to meet any quantifiable standard. If Lenovo advertised it as “HDR10”, which is a published specification, it will be false advertising.

Enhance SDR content to HDR is widely accepted among manufactures. Heck, my Acer XR382CQK ultra wide monitor only has 300 nits / 1000 ANSI and still being advertised as HDR capable. Not to mention, it even show up as HDR capable monitor under Win10’s display setting.

BrianSu
HDMI
Views: 726
Message 109 of 264

@psun786 wrote:

Unsatisfied and product not as expected maybe. But this is hardly false advertising. HDR is the abbreviation for “High Dynamic Range”. It is not a specification but a general term for high contrast image (like high fidelity sound lol). Any implementation that yield improved dynamic range can be called HDR. It doesn’t have to meet any quantifiable standard. If Lenovo advertised it as “HDR10”, which is a published specification, it will be false advertising.

Enhance SDR content to HDR is widely accepted among manufactures. Heck, my Acer XR382CQK ultra wide monitor only has 300 nits / 1000 ANSI and still being advertised as HDR capable. Not to mention, it even show up as HDR capable monitor under Win10’s display setting.

I agree. I’d be happy enough if this laptop’s DV screen shows up as HDR in Win10. 

Put it this way, I like the HDR YouTube videos in Edge so much more than the same being played in SDR.

Roman79
Punch Card
Views: 700
Message 110 of 264

Yes, iam disappointed. And by the way, the Display cant display HDR content, no matter how you explain it. The Display doesnt have the ability for advanced Colorspace (BT.2020) and, i think many here still dont understand... yes, the panel is only 8bit, but its necessary that the hostsystem do output at least in 10bit . If not you dont have the needed advanced HDR color.

Iam just frigthened how many here just accept this from Lenovo. You will never use HDR with this display. (even windows gives you not the option.) And if someone selling a device with big word (HDR) and then after i bought it i see its no HDR display and cant display HDR iam really furious. Its a very good display, but its NO HDR. Thats why iam pissed off.

Why do you accept and even defend that you were decieved related to the display. So sorry, i cant accept that i bought a normal SDR Display that is advertised as HDR. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors