Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BrianST
Paper Tape
Views: 1,379
Message 11 of 241

Re: X1 Yoga 3rd gen HDR display not HDR capable

Just installed the spring 2018 update on my X1 carbon with HDR screen. HDR is working now (setting is visible, some HDR video's in Edge/youtube are stunning)

jefferai
Punch Card
Views: 1,373
Message 12 of 241

Just installed the update. It's *not* working for me on my X1 Yoga 3rd gen. I tried updating to latest Intel drivers, no luck. Output from dxdiag:

Card name: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620
        Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
           Chip type: Intel(R) UHD Graphics Family
            DAC type: Internal
         Device Type: Full Device (POST)
          Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_5917&SUBSYS_225917AA&REV_07
       Device Status: 0180200A [DN_DRIVER_LOADED|DN_STARTED|DN_DISABLEABLE|DN_NT_ENUMERATOR|DN_NT_DRIVER] 
 Device Problem Code: No Problem
 Driver Problem Code: Unknown
      Display Memory: 8239 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 128 MB
       Shared Memory: 8111 MB
        Current Mode: 2560 x 1440 (32 bit) (48Hz)
         HDR Support: Not Supported
    Display Topology: Internal
 Display Color Space: DXGI_COLOR_SPACE_RGB_FULL_G22_NONE_P709
     Color Primaries: Red(0.646984,0.324719), Green(0.210461,0.720227), Blue(0.151867,0.057141), White Point(0.313000,0.328625)
   Display Luminance: Min Luminance = 0.500000, Max Luminance = 270.000000, MaxFullFrameLuminance = 270.000000
        Monitor Name: Wide viewing angle & High density FlexView Display 2560x1440
       Monitor Model: unknown
          Monitor Id: LEN40AF
         Native Mode: 2560 x 1440(p) (59.998Hz)
         Output Type: Internal
Monitor Capabilities: HDR Not Supported
Display Pixel Format: DISPLAYCONFIG_PIXELFORMAT_32BPP
      Advanced Color: Not Supported
         Driver Name: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\igdlh64.inf_amd64_0707757077710fff\igdumdim64.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\igdlh64.inf_amd64_0707757077710fff\igd10iumd64.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\igdlh64.inf_amd64_0707757077710fff\igd10iumd64.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\igdlh64.inf_amd64_0707757077710fff\igd12umd64.dll
 Driver File Version: 24.20.0100.6025 (English)
      Driver Version: 24.20.100.6025
psun786
Punch Card
Views: 1,352
Message 13 of 241

@BrianST wrote:

Just installed the spring 2018 update on my X1 carbon with HDR screen. HDR is working now (setting is visible, some HDR video's in Edge/youtube are stunning)

I am on ver 1803 but couldnt find HDR option in display setting. Windows is showing screen as 8bit SDR (not HDR capable). Care to tell us how to get HDR working on April 2018 update? Thanks!

BrianST
Paper Tape
Views: 1,333
Message 14 of 241

I didn't do anything specific. installed the update, went to the HDR video playback options in the windows settings and saw that it was enabled.

As far as watching HDR content chrome doesn't seem to support hdr streams but watching hdr content in edge on youtube is working fine for most video's. You need to check the playback settings in a video to see if the video stream is actually hdr
jefferai
Punch Card
Views: 1,311
Message 15 of 241

I think you're seeing Windows reinterpolating the video to mimic HDR on an SDR screen. Try the following:

* Go to Settings -> System -> Display

* Scroll down to the link that says Advanced display settings

* Check the color space shown. On mine it says "Standard dynamic range (SDR)"

Additionally, you can try this:

* Hit Win+R to get the Run dialog

* Type dxdiag and hit enter

* Hit yes at the prompt, if you get one

* When it's done collecting data hit Save All Information

* After that's done, open the file

* Under the second section, Display Devices, look at the Display Color Space variable. On mine it says DXGI_COLOR_SPACE_RGB_FULL_G22_NONE_P709

According to Microsoft, "If the value is DXGI_COLOR_SPACE_RGB_FULL_G22_NONE_P709, that indicates this is sRGB and not advanced color." That's from https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4040263/windows-10-hdr-advanced-color-settings

I have made sure that in Vantage the display is set to Native instead of one of the sRGB profiles. Additionally I have tried going into the Color Management control panel and manually setting the Device profile to the monitor profile provided by Lenovo ("Wide viewing angle & High density FlexView Display"). Nothing makes a difference.

Everything from Microsoft points to Windows believing that this is not an HDR capable panel -- or it not being enabled as such. It seems like what you're seeing in that video is just Windows reinterpreting the HDR video for SDR color spaces.

Roman79
Punch Card
Views: 1,253
Message 16 of 241

I have installed Windows Update and newest Intel Driver too. Here on my X1 Yoga 3rd still no HDR is avaible. (Displaysetting, and not only for Videostreaming).

But there are strange facts which shows that something is wrong wit the advertised things from Lenovo.

- Dolby Vision (for that we need at least 10bit, better 12 bit, local Dimming and much more than the 500 nits that we have)

- HDR (for that we need 10bit or 8bit+frc. None of this is avaible on the Displays from X1 Carbon 6th or X1 Yoga 3rd)

Iam really intrested how Lenovo will reach the Dolby Vision Label when the panel is not having the needed properties.

P.S. For using HDR Video in Windows 10 you have to use the EDGE Browser. 

psun786
Punch Card
Views: 1,221
Message 17 of 241

I think some online sources (reviewers & publisher) are confused software enhancement to mimic "HDR" with Dolby Vision HDR (hardware). They thought they are the same thing. That is why they said it is coming to x1c6 with Win10 1803.

While software enhancement is supported on Win10 ver 1803, Lenovo never explicitly said Dolby Vision HDR is supported with April 2018 Update. They only said it will be supported at a later date. At this time, I can only assume that the required driver/firmware to enable Dolby Vision HDR is not available yet. I don't know if Windows 10 even support Dolby Vision yet. I think xbox one x only support HDR10 not Dolby Vision. Since it is a proprietary format with *license fee.

Roman79
Punch Card
Views: 1,214
Message 18 of 241

Maybe you are right, but there are some hardwarelimitations that Lenovo cant patch with software. The Panel seems to be "only" 8bit. For HDR you need 10bit and for Dolby Vision 12bit is required. So at the moment, dont get me wrong, the display on my Yoga is fine (Blacklevel should be better), but there are some things that Lenovo cant give us as advertised. (Ok, maybe a Firmwareupdate for the display can improve some things)

So it would be fine if someone from Lenovo can tell us what Parts of HDR/Dolby Vision we will get in Future, If it stays at 8bit, its not a native HDR Display and not Dolby Vision capable.

At the moment its just a "Box of Suprise", with many Bios Bugs etc. (Flickering Keyboard Light after Sleep, missing S3 Sleep, sometimes no Wake etc.) with a display which is not capable of things that were advertised.

natejurassic
What's DOS?
Views: 1,170
Message 19 of 241

I similarly updated every driver and windows package I can and am getting the same SDR information.  It seems to me that Lenovo is required to update the display driver.  Just because windows thinks it's an 8-bit panel doesn't necessarily mean that this won't be a 12 bit hdr panel when the display driver is updated.  Windows can only move forward with what it can get back from the display, which Lenovo controls.

I really hope Lenovo updates this soon so we have true Dolby Vision support or they provide an update on the timing for that update.

Roman79
Punch Card
Views: 1,140
Message 20 of 241

Maybe, but Windows is using EDID Data for getting Infos from Screen and the capabilities. The displaydriver cant change any of this data. 

Grets

Top Kudoed Authors