Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yfnew
Punch Card
Views: 1,114
Message 21 of 261

Re: X1 Yoga 3rd gen HDR display not HDR capable

It's possible to override monitor EDID with monitor INF file as described here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/display/overriding-monitor-edids

I can't find any info about this panel (B140QAN02.0), so I don't know if it supports 12-bit or not. But it is still possible that Lenovo just needs a INF file update to make it capable. 

jackzh2011
SCSI Port
Views: 1,102
Message 22 of 261

X1Y3 has a monitor file on their support site: https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/n27oi04w.txt. It's dated 2018-02-07. I wonder if there was any reason that Lenovo include the 12bit there... 

Roman79
Punch Card
Views: 1,093
Message 23 of 261

You can override EDID in Refreshrates and Resolution, but not related to colordepth and pixelformat.

natejurassic
What's DOS?
Views: 988
Message 24 of 261

Yeah.  I read that HDR monitors are such a new thing that the standards are still in flux so they may be working on the appropriate EDID that works well with software on the receiving end.

I do know that I've held this monitor up to several other displays including my surface books and the colors pop like nothing I've seen before except on an HDR display.  That said, I am waiting and excited to watch HDR content via netflix, hulu, youtube on this display.  Also looking forward to improving calibration once properly supported.

jefferai
Punch Card
Views: 940
Message 25 of 261

Keep in mind that the display is natively tuned for high saturation. Set it to the sRGB profile in Vantage ("Standard") and you'll get more of a "normal" display (except if you've updated to the April 2018 update in Windows, since that broke color calibration). It's not unlike mobile phones -- most that come out these days aren't tuned for color accuracy but are instead tuned to make you go woah. The fact that colors pop doesn't mean it's HDR.

Roman79
Punch Card
Views: 931
Message 26 of 261

Well, Lenovo is advertising and selling X1 Carbon 6th and X1 Yoga 3rd with HDR and Dolby Vision Display. HDR requires at least 10bit Colordepth and Dolby Vision even 12bit Colordepth. So its no Option to accept 8bit Colordepth.

Jclv
Paper Tape
Views: 875
Message 27 of 261

You say "just because windows thinks it's an 8bit doesnt necessarily mean...etc". Question: if something ever says that it is 12-bits panel, will it necessarily mean its true? If you are consistent with your skeptisism, then you should doubt it too. Otherwise it would be confirmation bias.

How to KNOW? Why is Lenovo not addressing this?

psun786
Punch Card
Views: 862
Message 28 of 261

@Jclv wrote:

You say "just because windows thinks it's an 8bit doesnt necessarily mean...etc". Question: if something ever says that it is 12-bits panel, will it necessarily mean its true? If you are consistent with your skeptisism, then you should doubt it too. Otherwise it would be confirmation bias.

How to KNOW? Why is Lenovo not addressing this?

EDID just read what ever embedded in panel's firmware. A simple update from Lenovo can up 8 bit to 10 bit if the panel truly support it. The problem is Windows 10 doesn’t support Dolby Vision yet (not I know of). We also don’t know if Intel HD620 supports it. And there is no word If Microsoft will ever support it. It doesn’t look very promising because almost all HDR PC monitor is based on HDR10 specification. Why would Microsoft pay license fee to Dolby if there is no hardware base?

Even if MS decided to include Dolby Vision in Windows 10, it will not arrive until next major feature update around Fall 2018. Why is Lenovo not addressing this? Because its not in their control. Seriously, I don’t know what is in Lenovo’s head when they announce Dolby Vision will be on x1c6.

Pepsinio
Punch Card
Views: 837
Message 29 of 261

The least they can do is make it HDR10 compatible.
BrianSu
HDMI
Views: 759
Message 30 of 261

Roman79:

Not really, the 10 bit / 8 bit FRC requirement only applies to TVs and desktop monitors. Mobile devices have a different qualification standard. iPhone X is the only phone in the world that supports both HDR 10 and Dolby Vision but its panel is only 8 bit. Also, TVs and monitors need to put out 1000 nits to be certified HDR 10, there no way the laptop monitor can do that. 1 other thing, the panel also needs to have FALD, which again the laptop hasn't got.

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon (6th Gen), ASUS PG27UQ Quantum Dot UHD 4K HDR 144 Hz Monitor
Top Kudoed Authors