Did you mean: 
BrianSu
HDMI
Views: 776
Message 41 of 262

Re: X1 Yoga 3rd gen HDR display not HDR capable

Thanks for confirming that.

My questions are:

1) Is it possible to Lenovo is providing some kind of 'not 100%' Dolby Vision support by using an 8-bit panel just like what Apple have done?

2) How do we know that Windows doesn't already support Dolby Vision with these laptops if there are not games/video players on Windows 10 that support displaying things with it at the moment? Isn't it possible that a few months or years down the line YouTube or Netflix or some MS Store game is launched that support Dolby Vision and viola we've already got the laptop and OS to support it.

Or am I missing something?

Thanks.

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon (6th Gen), ASUS PG27UQ Quantum Dot UHD 4K HDR 144 Hz Monitor
BrianSu
HDMI
Views: 774
Message 42 of 262

Roman79:

OK I wasn't aware that local dimming isn't required for HDR. I would have thought that it is because if there's a movie scene with very dark and very bright objects then the display needs to be able to display them both at the same time. Maybe I was wrong then.

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon (6th Gen), ASUS PG27UQ Quantum Dot UHD 4K HDR 144 Hz Monitor
Roman79
Punch Card
Views: 770
Message 43 of 262

Maybe you are right and Lenovo is trying to sell us "fake" DolbyVision like Apple with 8bit. But then you need at least FRC (Dithering). To play the full colorrange the hostsystem needs to drive the image with 10bit or even 12bit. Then the panel can output this with 8bit + FRC. Not the best solution but better than now. At the moment the max we can get is 8bit without any dithering. So no DolbyVision or HDR is possible because you are still limited to SDR Colorrange. Results are limited values in gradients and banding. So we dont have the benefits of HDR.

BrianSu
HDMI
Views: 764
Message 44 of 262

Hmm maybe look up the panel's model from the EDID (it's made by Au Optronics) and search around to see what it actually supports? I'm not sure whether the bit-depth is goverened by the panel and/or the driver board though.

Back to the HDR thing, the reason for my understanding is when one takes a 'HDR' photo with a smartphone it takes 2 images with different exposures to capture both bright and dark scenes, therefore I though it was more to do with local dimming to get the lighting contrast rather than the colour. Maybe I was wrong.

Roman79
Punch Card
Views: 760
Message 45 of 262

No, you are right. But HDR Photo is something else than HDR Videosignal. HDR Photo is merging two images with different exposures to one. HDR Videosignal covers more colors, values and do own more levels for contrast (is dynamic with dolbyVision)

I cant find any good information about the AU Optronics Panel, still too new. 

BrianSu
HDMI
Views: 755
Message 46 of 262

Ahh OK thanks for the clarification.

Btw I'm surprised a Lenovo tech support person hasn't jumped in to help on this topic. I was hoping someone would at least say Yes it does, here's how customers can test it, and point us to a DV test application or something.

I draw comfort from the fact that they've released the new display INF drive that "adds support for Dolby Vision", which at least shows that they have done something.

yfnew
Punch Card
Views: 726
Message 47 of 262

Yeah I really think this lack of communication is hurting both Lenovo and customers.

If the panel is hardware HDR capable, announcing it here will clear up a lot of the confusions.

Even if it isn't, just state that DolbyVision HDR is done by software optimization. It isn't false advertisement. Samsung S9, Apple iPhone X, Google Pixel all use 8-bit panels and software optimizations to achieve HDR. Sure it may disappoints some customers, but the silence right now is causing ALL customers to lose trust.
Roman79
Punch Card
Views: 712
Message 48 of 262

@BrianSu

Did i miss something? Where is the inf file adding DolbyVision?

@yfnew

But they all use 8bit+FRC and HostSystem is driving Display as at least 10bit, Display just converts the Data to 8bit (with dithering). You know certification for DolbyVision? So, at the moment its totally false advertisment. Lenovo doesnt even use FRC thats why Windows still says "8bit". To use full colorrange, windows have to drive the display at least at 10bit. In 8bit (without any dithering) you cant drive HDR or DolbyVision, just too less colorrange and values for gradients. 

yfnew
Punch Card
Views: 696
Message 49 of 262

Here is the updated INF file: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/THINKPAD-X-SERIES-LAPTOPS/THINKPAD-...

For some reasons it's currently only listed for X1 Carbon 6th gen, but I installed it on my X1 Yoga 3rd gen without issue. However, this update only added an ICC color profile for the panel. The color depth info is unchanged. 

BrianSu
HDMI
Views: 689
Message 50 of 262

Roman79:

Yes mate, in the URL above. However, here's an extract from the instructions file.

As can be seen, they've made this driver specifically to enable support for Dolby Vision.

CHANGES IN THIS RELEASE
  Version  6.7.0.0 (N22OI05W)

[Important updates]
 Nothing.

[New functions or enhancements]
 - Added Dolby Vision support.

[Problem fixes]
 Nothing.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors