Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Roman79
Punch Card
Views: 973
Message 51 of 261

Re: X1 Yoga 3rd gen HDR display not HDR capable

Ive just and investigate the files. Its no driver. Just Inf File and some Color Profiles (as said from the other user). So there is no "DolbyVision" support and the info in the "Driver" is wrong.

JNerdy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 964
Message 52 of 261

Typically I like to give a mfg the benefit of the doubt, but, in this case they are not forthcoming with information.  

Primary Concerns:

- limited information avaible on the actual panel, so depth can not be confirmed: 8bit; 8bit + FRC; 10bit (I find it HIGHLY unlikely that it is 12bit...or even 10bit... panel yield technologies would make producing small panels at scale cost prohibitive)

- Minimum certification on Home Theatre applications call for 1000nits (with some exceptions at 600nits).  Granted, mobile certifications will be different based on package constraints...but that doesnt change the impact to PQ

- Continued radio silence from Lenovo, Microsoft and the tech press regarding what the DV certification standard is regarding mobile platforms

I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

edit1: horrible grammar

BrianSu
HDMI
Views: 927
Message 53 of 261

Roman79, thanks for checking it out for us.

There must be a valid reason for that INF’s release. 

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon (6th Gen), ASUS PG27UQ Quantum Dot UHD 4K HDR 144 Hz Monitor
yfnew
Punch Card
Views: 911
Message 54 of 261

Comparing this version with the previous INF version, this one added proper color profile while previously there was no color profile installed for this panel. This is the only difference.

Another interesting information in the file is that apparently there are two models of 500 nit HDR panels. One of them is LEN40AE made by AUO (most of us have this one), and the other one is LEN40AF made by JDI (Japan Display Inc.). A bit of Googling tells me that this panel is LPM140M420. It seems that it's only used in X1 Yoga 3rd gen sold in Japan. The EDID of that panel shows that the color bit depth is also 8 bits.
x8s8hsd
Paper Tape
Views: 858
Message 55 of 261

Is there any way to get rid of the red hue of the screen? Even the whites look reddish Smiley Sad

joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 854
Message 56 of 261

@x8s8hsd wrote:

Is there any way to get rid of the red hue of the screen? Even the whites look reddish Smiley Sad

Right-click the desktop, select Intel Graphics Settings, select Color Settings, then go to 'Select color' and change it from All Colors to Red, and drop the brightness for the red channel a bit. It's tough to get it right, but worth a shot.

x8s8hsd
Paper Tape
Views: 843
Message 57 of 261

Thanks, I also installed the ICC profile from the Notebookcheck review which seems to help.

BrianSu
HDMI
Views: 829
Message 58 of 261

Go to a photography store and rent a Spyder 5 and use that to calibrate your monitor. You won't achieve better results that that Smiley Wink

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon (6th Gen), ASUS PG27UQ Quantum Dot UHD 4K HDR 144 Hz Monitor
trackpointlove
Fanfold Paper
Views: 716
Message 59 of 261

@yfnew wrote:
Comparing this version with the previous INF version, this one added proper color profile while previously there was no color profile installed for this panel. This is the only difference.

Another interesting information in the file is that apparently there are two models of 500 nit HDR panels. One of them is LEN40AE made by AUO (most of us have this one), and the other one is LEN40AF made by JDI (Japan Display Inc.). A bit of Googling tells me that this panel is LPM140M420. It seems that it's only used in X1 Yoga 3rd gen sold in Japan. The EDID of that panel shows that the color bit depth is also 8 bits.

That's why I opened the other thread, specifically asking about the bit depth of the display, and also opened a support ticket. I was given this answer and I requested more information (repost fro the other thread):

1. Dolby Vision requires at least 10 bits panel for it to work.
  2. Some Lenovo X1 Carbon 6 Gen originally comes together with 14" HDR WQHD IPS with Dolby Vision™ (2560 x 1440), Glare, 500 nits that support Dolby Vision, however the panel that comes together with the machine is only 8 bit.
  3. X1 Carbon 6 Gen that supports Dolby Vision will come with a future software updates which added support for Dolby Vision.

If what support answer is correct (I replied and I am waiting for clarification), then it would mean that the panel AUO B140QAN02.0 / LEN40AE it's only 8 bit per color channel. 

natejurassic
What's DOS?
Views: 659
Message 60 of 261

So I found a way to A/B test HDR settings on the display.  What do you all think perception wise?

Open this in the edge browser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74SZXCQb44s

Also open your settings > apps > video playback.

Have the HDR setting on there and load the youtube page.  You can select the quality in youtube and see hdr.

Turn off the HDR setting in windows then open a new tab in edge with the same url.

You'll see that now the hdr option is not in the youtube settings.

To me, the highlights seem a bit blown out but more vibrant on the hdr setting.  But things make more sense with it off.

This seems to me that it either isn't an HDR panel or Lenovo still needs to do something more to make it support it properly.

Top Kudoed Authors