Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jackzh2011
SCSI Port
Views: 969
Message 61 of 261

Re: X1 Yoga 3rd gen HDR display not HDR capable

@natejurassic wrote:

So I found a way to A/B test HDR settings on the display.  What do you all think perception wise?

Open this in the edge browser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74SZXCQb44s

Also open your settings > apps > video playback.

Thanks for putting in the works to do the testing! But how is Windows / X1Y3 "mimicking" HDR when the hardware isn't supporting it yet...?

Roman79
Punch Card
Views: 963
Message 62 of 261

I already wrote that that you can enable HDR Video using EDGE Browser. But its still no real HDR. It sets trhe Brightness of the Screen to max and converts Color to 8bit (of course, including loosing of colors). Its "fake" HDR because Display is still drivenin 8bit colorspace. If this is what Lenovo was talking about i can return my device, its NO HDR. Just converting to SDR Colorspace. That you can use with every display. No need for HDR. 

yfnew
Punch Card
Views: 959
Message 63 of 261

Yes I also have that option showed up in my X1 Carbon 5th Gen, whose screen is definitely not HDR capable.

Also, if that is the case, there is no way this "Windows HD Color" thing is DolbyVision-certified. That's why I believe this Windows feature is not what Lenovo was talking about as "DolbyVision HDR" support.

EDIT: phrasing

BrianSu
HDMI
Views: 933
Message 64 of 261

I agree with you. Dolby Vision is the same as HDR on YouTube
Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon (6th Gen), ASUS PG27UQ Quantum Dot UHD 4K HDR 144 Hz Monitor
jackzh2011
SCSI Port
Views: 929
Message 65 of 261

@Roman79 wrote:

I already wrote that that you can enable HDR Video using EDGE Browser. But its still no real HDR. It sets trhe Brightness of the Screen to max and converts Color to 8bit (of course, including loosing of colors). Its "fake" HDR because Display is still drivenin 8bit colorspace. If this is what Lenovo was talking about i can return my device, its NO HDR. Just converting to SDR Colorspace. That you can use with every display. No need for HDR. 

I see! Is it like Windows 10 is "faking" HDR on SDR displays? Wouldn't the color loss make the viewing experience less authentic? Also, do you happen to know what's Microsoft's criteria for a monitor / panel to be eligible to receive "fake" HDR?

voidshatter
Punch Card
Views: 913
Message 66 of 261

@yfnew wrote:

Yes I also have that option showed up in my X1 Carbon 5th Gen, whose screen is definitely not HDR capable.

Also, if that is the case, there is no way this "Windows HD Color" thing is DolbyVision-certified. That's why I believe this Windows feature is not what Lenovo was talking about as "DolbyVision HDR" support.

EDIT: phrasing

Weird. My X1 Yoga 2nd OLED also has this HDR option available in Video playback, despite that the screen itself is shown as 8-bit SDR in Advanced display settings.

Watching the same youtube video side by side with Chrome (no HDR support) and Edge (with HDR enabled), I do see some tone difference. As a photographer I can tell that the Chrome (non-HDR) has indeed more shadow details and hence more dynamic range, while the Edge (HDR) has less shadow details and hence more contrast.

I have also verified that by disabling HDR option in Video playback, I no longer get the HDR option in Edge. Chrome and Edge would play the same tone.

yfnew
Punch Card
Views: 893
Message 67 of 261

@jackzh2011

Yes. Windows 10 is down-sampling HDR to SDR displays in this case. Google also does this to the 1st gen Google Pixel in their YouTube app. 

Here is the requirements on Microsoft's website about streaming HDR video. Basically the laptop built-in display needs to be at least 1920x1080 in resolution, and 300 nits in brightness. 

jackzh2011
SCSI Port
Views: 887
Message 68 of 261

@yfnew wrote:

@jackzh2011

Yes. Windows 10 is down-sampling HDR to SDR displays in this case. Google also does this to the 1st gen Google Pixel in their YouTube app. 

Here is the requirements on Microsoft's website about streaming HDR video. Basically the laptop built-in display needs to be at least 1920x1080 in resolution, and 300 nits in brightness. 

Thank you for the info, yfnew! I guess this HDR video playback option really has nothing to do with the Dolby Vision HDR Lenovo is advertising. Like someone mentioned before, maybe Ver 1803 Update isn't actually the "future update" Lenovo was talking about, despite enabling the HDR video playback feature. 

yfnew
Punch Card
Views: 876
Message 69 of 261

The wording of Lenovo's blog post is interesting. If you look closely, the "HDR support expected in future builds of Windows 10" statement only applies to X1 Tablet. For X1 Carbon and X1 Yoga, the blog post only says "Dolby Vision will be enabled a future software update" without mentioning Windows. This leads me to believe that Dolby Vision needs an update from Lenovo.

I am also curious if the display in X1 Tablet is also shown as 8-bit color bit depth in Windows display settings.
jefferai
Punch Card
Views: 831
Message 70 of 261

@yfnew wrote:
The wording of Lenovo's blog post is interesting. If you look closely, the "HDR support expected in future builds of Windows 10" statement only applies to X1 Tablet. For X1 Carbon and X1 Yoga, the blog post only says "Dolby Vision will be enabled a future software update" without mentioning Windows. This leads me to believe that Dolby Vision needs an update from Lenovo.

I am also curious if the display in X1 Tablet is also shown as 8-bit color bit depth in Windows display settings.

That is interesting indeed, but then Lenovo needs to be even remotely transparent here. The only thing that has been marked in an update as enabling Dolby Vision is the newer monitor INF file, which changes nothing that anyone can figure out.

Top Kudoed Authors