Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 471
Message 1 of 2

X1 Yoga 3rd gen caught in heavy throttling state while connected to power

This may be a one off, but I thought I'd report it just in case anyone else comes across it. Scenario

- Disabled wifi, logged off, closed laptop

- Got to work, connected X1Y3 to TB3 dock (connected to ethernet, iPhone connected to TB3 dock)

- Pressed key on attached USB keyboard to wake the laptop, logged in

From that point on the fan would basically not come on, the CPU refused to go above 2GHz, and when launching a bunch of 'apps' the CPU would throttle down to as low as 0.5GHz, while CPU utilization wouldn't go above ~25%. That way the system kept the CPU temperatures below 65C seemingly without using the fan. I wasn't able to see any settings in Windows power settings or in the Vantage app where I could adjust this behavior. 

Needless to say performance was terrible. A reboot fixed this. It kind of looks like the X1Y3 got stuck in the "on battery power" plan, not sure how this could have happened. Any suggestions on where to find the settings corresponding to this incredibly conservative power plan? Or is there a chance this was not a power plan but rather a case of 'the fan didn't work'? 

Preliminary theory: maybe the fact that the iPhone was on the TB3 dock plays a role here, since charging the iPhone draws significant power. I wonder if the X1Y3 can be tricked into thinking that it's on battery power when the TB3 dock can't deliver sufficient power on wake. This might explain getting stuck in the 'battery mode' if subsequently the X1Y3 firmware doesn't adapt the power plan until a user connects or disconnects power. 

Screenshot of task manager when in this state while connected to power below. Note the CPU speed.. 

x1y3-throttled

joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 398
Message 2 of 2

Re: X1 Yoga 3rd gen caught in heavy throttling state while connected to power

Sounds like this issue is being addressed in today's BIOS update:

"UEFI 1.11 / ECP 1.06: Fix an issue where system performance may become low when ThinkPad Dock is attached."

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors