cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 274
Message 1 of 4

X1 Yoga 3rd generation - paint coming off around ports and edges (7 months old)

I've seen a few people mention that the paint coming off around edges. I thought I didn't have this on my unit, but after seven months with this machine it turns out I've lost a lot of paint around the ports. Just so others have a data point, here's a picture of the left edge of my X1Y3. It's not a good look. Smiley Sad

One lesson is that I clearly need to be more careful when inserting connectors. But also, the wear around the lower edge is not from sharp USB connectors, it seems that the paint delaminated simply from putting the system in my bag. That shouldn't happen.  

I think it's fair to say that this is a disadvantage of using coated metal for these machines: you won't see anything like this on say a Surface Book, at worst you'll see a scatch on the metallic body. I'm pretty sure that Lenovo considers the picture below 'normal wear', but I think we can all agree that it doesn't look very professional. 

X1Y3-7months.jpg

Guru
Views: 246
Message 2 of 4

Re: X1 Yoga 3rd generation - paint coming off around ports and edges (7 months old)

Wow that does look bad.  Based on what I saw on the internet with people with X1 Carbons I've been really careful with my X1 Yoga.  This has been my only thinkpad I have ever owned where I feel like I need to be super careful.  

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an”Accepted Solution“!
 If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a "Kudo"!

I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. I will not respond to unsolicited private messages. Questions belong in the forum so it may   help other forum members as well.
 T490, TP 25 Retro, X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, W510 850 EVO, A30p
 Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 237
Message 3 of 4

Re: X1 Yoga 3rd generation - paint coming off around ports and edges (7 months old)

@green5178 wrote:

Wow that does look bad.  Based on what I saw on the internet with people with X1 Carbons I've been really careful with my X1 Yoga.  This has been my only thinkpad I have ever owned where I feel like I need to be super careful.  

At least in normal use everything looks perfect, because I don't see the sides when I'm typing. I'm overall pretty positive* about the machine. But yeah, once you look closely at the sides it doesn't look like a high-end machine that's less than a year old. I guess it's too late for me, but yes, handle yours with care!

* minus ghost touches, and drifting pointers, an intially slow fingerprint reader, an initially misbehaving CPU clock speed, and a miscalibrated color profile for months. Other than that though it's great.

joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 58
Message 4 of 4

Just an update to show how this is progressing: the picture below is ten months after the picture in the first post. This machine is now about 16 months 'old'. It's been carried between work and home in a soft padded bag daily, and pretty much no other mechanical stress. Lenovo will call this 'normal wear and tear', but imo it's still disappointing for a machine in this price class.

X1Y3-Aug2019.jpg

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors