Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Juanflight
Paper Tape
Views: 1,861
Message 11 of 18

Re: X1 Yoga After Windows Update only Black Screen

the suggested fix didn't work for me either. (I lost my screen about 2 days ago) disabling the video card brought back the screen, but no touch or brightness control. Followed by a restart, I uninstalled the Intel HD graphics card. After restarting and updating the graphics card driver, we are back to square zero. SIGH

It's a shame something like this will happen to a device 3 months old.

theles927098
What's DOS?
Views: 1,855
Message 12 of 18

I almost threw in the white towel after chatting with 5 technicians, 3 from Microsoft & 2 Lenovo!  Had to do a complete reinstallation of windows 10 from a USB (your laptop may let you reinstall, mine got stuck in the blue screen..)  I worked for me.  But the screen became non-touch.  Went to Lenovo site to reinstall all drivers and finally, I got it solved!  Luckily, I saved my files in OneDrive so not much were lost in the process...

Just an observation, I found the Microsoft tech guys are more competent! 

Juanflight
Paper Tape
Views: 1,853
Message 13 of 18

Thank you. I've tried reinstalling windows multiple times as well... this is just silly. support ticket opened. lets see how long this will go now.
theles927098
What's DOS?
Views: 1,852
Message 14 of 18

Me too. But just reinstalling didn't work. I had to do a complete reset.
Juanflight
Paper Tape
Views: 1,805
Message 15 of 18

OK after many failed attempts, the it seems like problem isn't in the OS level. Is the Intel HD graphics 520 card driver VS Lenovo own flavour afffecting only a few devices. Removing the driver and installing an old one will temporary fix the problem. Unfortunately, as soon as the driver updates, the black screen comes back (Lenovo auto update should be turned off). I still haven't heard from support about the issue, but at least the lapdog is up and barking.
gmagana33
What's DOS?
Views: 1,658
Message 16 of 18

Well...$200 and 11 days later it turns out that the issue was caused by the Lenovo Companion which updated the Intel HD Graphics Driver on March 13, 2017 @ 4:34 PM, which is the EXACT time that my display went black and I had no clue why this had occurred. Please note that I have an X1 Yoga with a Windows 10 PRO 64-bit OS. 

I had purchased an Extended Warranty Service (Next Day, Onsite Service) from Lenovo on an X1 Yoga, which I recently purchased (Nov. 2016). When this machine broke on 3/13/17 I called Lenovo technical support. After hours of troubleshooting they told me that I had to replace the motherboard. However, this part was on backorder and would take up to 5 days to procure. Well, it took more than 6 days and when the board was finally replaced it still didn't resolve the issue. The tech from IBM did some further testing and confirmed that the issue was not hardware-related, but software-related. He advised me that more than likely it was a video card driver issue. I called Lenovo to complain and after 6 transfers I was told that I needed to talk to the Lenovo Premium Software Support Team. However, in order to receive further support I would need to pay $99.99 for one-time fix or $199.99 for an annual service with unlimited support usage. Since this machine is my primary means of business I caved in for the annual service just in case I ran into another issue in the future.

Anyhow, I was helped by an agent who did indeed fix my problem after another 90+ minutes. What he did was to uninstall/delete the latest version of the Intel HD Graphics 520 driver (V21.20.16.4590) released on 2/10/2017 and installed on my machine on 3/13/2017 DIRECTLY resulting in the screen malfunction! After removing this driver he replaced it with version, 20.19.15.4352, and Driver Date 12/15/2015. Then what he did was to access Lenovo Companion and DISABLE (Turn OFF) the Auto Install feature for Critical Updates as well as Recommended Driver Updates. Once he did this my screen remained functional just as it had before.

So, in a nutshell, the Lenovo Companion driver update of the Intel HD Graphics Driver is responsible for this issue! If you want to fix it you will have to uninstall the driver version that was installed on 3/13/2017 and install an older version of this driver (recommend 12/15/2015 driver date version since it worked for me) and make sure to DISABLE (SHUT OFF) the Lenovo Companion feature for software/driver updates to keep from installing the latest version. What infuriated me about all of this is that Lenovo is responsible for the issue caused and yet I had to spend an additional $200 out of my pocket to have the issue fixed. If I can avoid anyone else grief and anger or from spending the ridiculous money that I had to dish out to fix this problem it will have been worth it. Best of luck! 

nashphil
Paper Tape
Views: 836
Message 17 of 18

I'm curious How do you work on a black/blank screen?

Juanflight
Paper Tape
Views: 806
Message 18 of 18

With an external monitor. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors