Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rob11900
Paper Tape
Views: 2,320
Message 1 of 4

X1 Yoga Display Capabilities - external + built-in

I have an x1 yoga  20FQ model (i7, 520 integrated).  I am coming from a gen1 x1 carbon and had a gen3 x1 carbon as an temporary machine.

On my x1 carbon with the onelink dock (usb 3) I was able to connect 2 external monitors + a 3rd monitor into the mini dp + the laptop built-in display.  Essentially I had 4 monitors.

I am surprised that I cannot get the same setup with the x1 carbon gen3 and now with the x1 yoga.  One of my next step is test the vga port on the onelink+ dock to see If I can then enable the built-in port.

The x1 yoga and x1 carbon (gen1) intel cpu/gup specs shows that they both support 3 displays.  I am thinking the usb dock is the difference maker.  

Is this possible on the newer machines?  

Rob11900
Paper Tape
Views: 2,310
Message 2 of 4

Re: X1 Yoga Display Capabilities - external + built-in

No difference with the VGA.  I can only get 2 monitors to work.  I'll reconnect the displaylink pro dock to see if it works.

Rob11900
Paper Tape
Views: 2,296
Message 3 of 4

I got all 4 display working with the old dock setup.  I installed the thinkpad pro usb 3.0 dock. And installed the driver/software.  

The only draw back is that I now have to run 3 cables for power, and display instad of 2.

Sucks that the newer dock for the gen3 and x1 yoga does not support this.

Hope someone will post a way to get this working with the new oneLink+ doc.

Former Employee
Views: 2,241
Message 4 of 4

Rob11900,

I am glad you were able to successfully set up a four display configuration.

Think Engineering was able to successfully recreate the scenario of hooking an X1 Yoga up to three additional external displays for a total of four displays. They did this with a X1 Yoga running Windows 10, two external displays hooked up to a ThinkPad USB 3.0 dock, and an additional external monitor hooked up to the X1 Yoga.

The USB 3.0 dock supports a total of four displays, while the design limitation of the OneLink+ remains at three displays, as you discovered. This is due to the extra graphics provided by the USB 3.0 dock.

Thank you,

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors