Did you mean: 
Sirius_2
What's DOS?
Views: 525
Message 1 of 6

X1 Yoga Gen 2 "2100: Detection error on SSD1 (M.2)"

Receiving the following error upon boot:
2100: Detection error on SSD1 (M.2)

Resetting boot options to default from bios and cycling boot resolves issue. The issue persists on next boot cycle.

I've never changed boot settings away from defaults, and the firmware is up to date. 

Are there any solutions that don't require SSD replacement or mailing my machine in for repair? Thanks.

massimo_ferrari
What's DOS?
Views: 472
Message 2 of 6

Re: X1 Yoga Gen 2 "2100: Detection error on SSD1 (M.2)"

Very same problem here.

On top of that, the error seems pretty random. After restarting several times, it detects the SSD and goes on, but sometimes it produces blue screens. Then it works. But then again unpredictably restarts not detecting the SSD.

My SSD is a Lenovo proprietary SSD 512 GB.

r001
What's DOS?
Views: 373
Message 3 of 6

Same here. This is a Thinkpad X1 Yoga with 8th gen I-7 proc, 1 TB SSD, and 16GB RAM.

It happened after I have successfully upgraded the BIOS. When I tried to upgrade the intel (optionel) drivers afterwards, blue screen while installing, and it boots with the 2100 : Detection error on Storage Device (M.2). No BIOS hacking worked sofar. I tried to start an ubuntu live cd. It works but no SSD visible. Smiley Sad Brand new laptop, I'm so disappointed.

denster
Paper Tape
Views: 266
Message 4 of 6

And same here, on a 2nd Generation X1 Yoga (Type 20JE).

Randomly started getting the  "2100: Detection error on Storage Device (M.2)" blue-screen error about a month ago.

The Lenovo hotline hoped to resolve the problem by swiftly sending me a new hardrive, but now, after a few weeks, the problem is back. I'm figuring they were wrong to think it's the hardrive, given that the odds of getting two faulty hardrives in a row should be very, very low (for any reasonable overall reliability of the drives themselves).

An interesting observation, perhaps: Since I'm no IT expert and the Lenovo hotline sent me no installation instructions whatsoever to accompany the replacement drive (despite my having on-site warranty; the hotline's advice: I should check around on YouTube), I had a very experienced expert do the hardrive swap for me. He had a very hard time and succeeded only using special tools and what he called "controlled" force, because a screw securing the hardrive had been previously tightened to a supposedly ridiculous extent, in the factory. He thinks this excessive force might have jeopardized the contacts mainboard/hardrive.

I'm wondering what remedy Lenovo suggests next. I'm hoping they figure out what to do to fix things for good this second time around.

tser
Paper Tape
Views: 69
Message 5 of 6

Same here. Thinkpad X1 Yoga Gen 2, Type 20JD-CT01WW with 1TB samsung SSD, bought last Black Friday--less than a year old.. Has anyone figured this out yet? Smiley Sad

denster
Paper Tape
Views: 58
Message 6 of 6

Sorry to hear. On the second attempt, Lenovo replaced not just my SSD but but also the mainboard. This was about two months ago, and it's been fine since -- fingers crossed. It was a nerve-wracking experience until then, though.

Top Kudoed Authors