Did you mean: 
Sirius_2
What's DOS?
Views: 1,061
Message 1 of 12

X1 Yoga Gen 2 "2100: Detection error on SSD1 (M.2)"

Receiving the following error upon boot:
2100: Detection error on SSD1 (M.2)

Resetting boot options to default from bios and cycling boot resolves issue. The issue persists on next boot cycle.

I've never changed boot settings away from defaults, and the firmware is up to date. 

Are there any solutions that don't require SSD replacement or mailing my machine in for repair? Thanks.

massimo_ferrari
What's DOS?
Views: 998
Message 2 of 12

Re: X1 Yoga Gen 2 "2100: Detection error on SSD1 (M.2)"

Very same problem here.

On top of that, the error seems pretty random. After restarting several times, it detects the SSD and goes on, but sometimes it produces blue screens. Then it works. But then again unpredictably restarts not detecting the SSD.

My SSD is a Lenovo proprietary SSD 512 GB.

r001
What's DOS?
Views: 899
Message 3 of 12

Same here. This is a Thinkpad X1 Yoga with 8th gen I-7 proc, 1 TB SSD, and 16GB RAM.

It happened after I have successfully upgraded the BIOS. When I tried to upgrade the intel (optionel) drivers afterwards, blue screen while installing, and it boots with the 2100 : Detection error on Storage Device (M.2). No BIOS hacking worked sofar. I tried to start an ubuntu live cd. It works but no SSD visible. Smiley Sad Brand new laptop, I'm so disappointed.

denster
Fanfold Paper
Views: 792
Message 4 of 12

And same here, on a 2nd Generation X1 Yoga (Type 20JE).

Randomly started getting the  "2100: Detection error on Storage Device (M.2)" blue-screen error about a month ago.

The Lenovo hotline hoped to resolve the problem by swiftly sending me a new hardrive, but now, after a few weeks, the problem is back. I'm figuring they were wrong to think it's the hardrive, given that the odds of getting two faulty hardrives in a row should be very, very low (for any reasonable overall reliability of the drives themselves).

An interesting observation, perhaps: Since I'm no IT expert and the Lenovo hotline sent me no installation instructions whatsoever to accompany the replacement drive (despite my having on-site warranty; the hotline's advice: I should check around on YouTube), I had a very experienced expert do the hardrive swap for me. He had a very hard time and succeeded only using special tools and what he called "controlled" force, because a screw securing the hardrive had been previously tightened to a supposedly ridiculous extent, in the factory. He thinks this excessive force might have jeopardized the contacts mainboard/hardrive.

I'm wondering what remedy Lenovo suggests next. I'm hoping they figure out what to do to fix things for good this second time around.

tser
Punch Card
Views: 595
Message 5 of 12

Same here. Thinkpad X1 Yoga Gen 2, Type 20JD-CT01WW with 1TB samsung SSD, bought last Black Friday--less than a year old.. Has anyone figured this out yet? Smiley Sad

denster
Fanfold Paper
Views: 584
Message 6 of 12

Sorry to hear. On the second attempt, Lenovo replaced not just my SSD but but also the mainboard. This was about two months ago, and it's been fine since -- fingers crossed. It was a nerve-wracking experience until then, though.

denster
Fanfold Paper
Views: 430
Message 7 of 12

...and I'm back in the game, my X1 Yoga Gen 2 again throwing up a "2100: Detection error on Storage Device (M.2)" and not wanting to boot anymore. Happened first time in March, after which hotline sent a new SSD. A second time in May, after which Lenovo had SSD an mainboard replaced. And now again after another few months. The computer is not even a year old. This is very, very frustrating. Does anybody have any suggestions?

tser
Punch Card
Views: 366
Message 8 of 12

Ouch, I feel your pain...
I will just give my update here:

My X1Y2 got this error message randomly upon boot (2-3 times in 2-3 weeks). When I pressed the 'Esc' key as the error message said, it brought me to the UEFI/BIOS boot menu (the same boot menu you get when pressing F12 during boot). Restarting would bring me back to the same error but turning it off for a certain period it would then suddenly boot normally again.

I sent my laptop in to the depot on Jul 19 (I also referenced this thread in the online repair ticket). To my surprise, they replaced the mother board but not the SSD. It's been 1.5 months and I haven't experienced the symptom yet (fingers crossed Smiley Indifferent).
Random info: Running Lenovo Vantage hardware tests, I found that the on-board RAM is now 1867MHz SK Hynix instead of the 2133MHz Micron on the old mobo. Not sure if this tells us anything about the board's manufacturer. My current BIOS firmware version is N1NET42W (1.29). Was at version N1NET41W (1.28 ) back from the depot and it worked fine too.

What's the chance of two mobo failing twice in a row within a few months, Lenovo...

Would your expert be able to open it up to check if the connector between the board and SSD is showing a sign of poor installation again? 

tser
Punch Card
Views: 242
Message 9 of 12

Now the problem is back on my Thinkpad. Exactly the same symptom. Black screen upon boot with message "2100: Detection error on storage device (M.2). " Holding power button to power off and restart goes back to the same black screen. It happened yesterday afternoon, so I gave up and tried to power it on again last night. It worked perfectly normal then. Today the same black screen is back again. 

Since replacing the motherboard around the end of July, the problem disappeared for about 2 months and is back again. Does anyone have any suggestions what the long-term solution to this problem is? Do you all think I should ask them to replace both the motherboard as well as the SSD this time? Based on denster's story, that doesn't seem to help, but I run out of idea what else could have caused this other than these 2 parts.. Denster, did your expert find any problem with the screw or the SSD connection this time? 

Or maybe Lenovo's board has an inherent design or manufacturing flaw that makes all their boards fail? Can anyone from Lenovo say something? This is unacceptable the laptop is not even a year old.

denster
Fanfold Paper
Views: 232
Message 10 of 12

Oh man, that sucks. Interesting how similar our stories are, and I agree, the odds on a good product failing two or even three times in a row are very low, so something is fishy here. As regards my case: the Lenovo service contractor wanted to have the computer for two weeks to run diagnostics, which I refused because I actually have on-site warranty. So now they're sending me a brand new third generation yoga, albeit without OLED display. I hope that will finally work. And I hope you will find a good solution. Not sure I will ever buy a Lenovo again after this experience.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors