Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
caotico
Paper Tape
Views: 286
Message 131 of 135

Re: X1 Yoga Gen 3 Ghost touch

It's nice if it stopped either way. It does seem to be hardware related, but I'll see what updates I have installed. My company wiped all the lenovo software off and did a clean windows install, so I don't have the lenovo software and was just downloading all the latest drivers a few weeks ago. I'll cross my fingers that it goes away with the updates you mention. 

joshrcohen
Fanfold Paper
Views: 225
Message 132 of 135

Temporary FIX and root cause thesis Re: X1 Yoga Gen 3 Ghost touch

TLDR Re-seating the screen connectors on the motherboard fixed it for me

If other's having this problem can try this fix and report back, we can figure out if this is the real cause.

(BTW Souldier was on the same page)

I have a Thinkpad Yoga P40 with a similar design.  Recently the ghost touches started showing up intermittently, and then persistently.  It got so bad I needed to disable the touchscreen to stop it.

Thesis on the root cause

There is a design flaw in the cable guide within the otherwise awesome hinge mechanism.  After opening the bottom cover and inspecting the hinge and wires, I noticed deformation and abrasion on the outer sheath of the wires where it goes around corners, which is a sign of tension in the cable.
With repeated opening/closing the hinge over time, cable guide allows movement of the cable such tension is created s the hinge moves.

This will create pulling force on the connectors on the motherboard, eventually loosening the connection and creating ghost touches.  

Suggested fix for Lenovo
Redesign the cable guide to prevent movement and tension.

DIY FIX
The fix is an easy DIY.  Remove the bottom cover of the laptop.  Locate the connectors near the hinges attachment to the mother board. Lift up the black locking flap and remove the cable.  Clean out any dust with air.  Reseat the cable and press down on the black flap to lock it.  Reassemble and reboot.

The photos below, marked up with the awesome integrated awesome digitiizer/pen/touchscreen, show the connectors and the cable abrasion.
leftsm.jpg
rightsm2.jpg

abrasion2.jpg

joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 205
Message 133 of 135

Re: Temporary FIX and root cause thesis Re: X1 Yoga Gen 3 Ghost touch

@joshrcohen wrote:

TLDR Re-seating the screen connectors on the motherboard fixed it for me  [..]  I noticed deformation and abrasion on the outer sheath of the wires where it goes around corners, which is a sign of tension. With repeated opening/closing the hinge over time, cable guide allows movement of the cable such tension is created as it routes around corners.  This will create pulling tension on the connectors on the motherboard, eventually loosening the connection and creating ghost touches.   Over the longer term this will likely wear through the cable sheath and cause more severe problems. 

Thanks for taking the time to post pictures! I'm not sure how the 'reseat the cable' approach would fix any abrasion or cable wear though. From how you describe it the problem seems to be that the connector doesn't make good contact, maybe due to slight oxidation of the contacts? I'm definitely interested in hearing other people's success with your method. More so than interested in trying it myself for now.. Smiley Very Happy

joshrcohen
Fanfold Paper
Views: 197
Message 134 of 135

Re: Temporary FIX and root cause thesis Re: X1 Yoga Gen 3 Ghost touch

@joesixgig

Thanks for taking the time to post pictures! I'm not sure how the 'reseat the cable' approach would fix any abrasion or cable wear though. From how you describe it the problem seems to be that the connector doesn't make good contact, maybe due to slight oxidation of the contacts? I'm definitely interested in hearing other people's success with your method. More so than interested in trying it myself for now.. Smiley Very Happy

The problem (according to my theory) is that the tension is causing the connection to weaken, requiring re-seating.  The abrasion/deformation is just a symptom of the existence of tension, it's not the cause of the problem.

I'll edit my post to clarify.

chadwick17
Token Ring
Views: 37
Message 135 of 135

Re: X1 Yoga Gen 3 Ghost touch

Don't have anything new to add except that since my last post 11 or so days ago, I still have not seen a single ghost touch. Has anyone else seen them disappear/reduced since the latest wave of updates from Vantage?

ThinkPad X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, i7-8650U, Intel 620 UHD Integrated Graphics, 2560x1440 HDR WQHD Display, 16GB LPDDR3 1600 RAM, 1 TB SSD

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors