Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lincoln32
Blue Screen Again
Views: 279
Message 71 of 134

Re: X1 Yoga Gen 3 Ghost touch

I am not making excuses for the problems that are arising now. Those things are Lenovo's responsibility. Does the touchscreen issue bother me? Yes. Taking a step back and evaluating if it's a "deal breaker" is something only you can determine Beamer. For me, it wasnt, I love it.

All the power I need in a small-form factor AND it has LTE so my scope is virtually unlimited. I enjoy that sort of freedom. I was at my wits end looking for every spec I was looking for and every alternative felt like I was compromising on either the tech refresh/LTE/screen resolution/ports. Sometimes forums have the adverse effect of only attracting negative thinking and its easy to get tunnel vision on one issue. Again, its all what you value in the machine, not me or anyone else's.
chadwick17
Token Ring
Views: 272
Message 72 of 134

@Lincoln32 wrote:
I am not making excuses for the problems that are arising now. Those things are Lenovo's responsibility. Does the touchscreen issue bother me? Yes. Taking a step back and evaluating if it's a "deal breaker" is something only you can determine Beamer. For me, it wasnt, I love it.

All the power I need in a small-form factor AND it has LTE so my scope is virtually unlimited. I enjoy that sort of freedom. I was at my wits end looking for every spec I was looking for and every alternative felt like I was compromising on either the tech refresh/LTE/screen resolution/ports. Sometimes forums have the adverse effect of only attracting negative thinking and its easy to get tunnel vision on one issue. Again, its all what you value in the machine, not me or anyone else's.

I agree with this. I was waiting for this laptop from the day it was announced. I needed a slim laptop with decent battery life and a stylus that I can use for sketching. I don't know of another laptop that provides these specific needs in one package. Luckily disabling the touch screen still allows me to use the stylus.

However, I do agree that for the price of the machine, this kind of QC is a bit disappointing. Even more so when the W530 I had previously purchased from Lenovo was rock solid. 

ThinkPad X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, i7-8650U, Intel 620 UHD Integrated Graphics, 2560x1440 HDR WQHD Display, 16GB LPDDR3 1600 RAM, 1 TB SSD
chadwick17
Token Ring
Views: 267
Message 73 of 134

@Lincoln32 wrote:

I didnt have anything replaced as claimed by support.  They just re-imaged my drive.  It did work and now I rarely get ghost touches.  I really do believe this is a software issue.  LENOVO, CREATE A DIAGNOTIC/RECALIBRATION SOFTWARE! Maybe during the firmware/software updates, each person is using their panel differently or moving it while the update is being applied, causing the touch functionality to be "off-key".  I remember updating my laptop on a bed.... so theres that LOL

Do you know if they re-imaged the drive with all of Lenovo software, tweaks, etc; like it came out of the box? Or did they put a blank, stock copy of Windows 10 on your drive? I've been thinking about wiping my drive to see if it will help.

ThinkPad X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, i7-8650U, Intel 620 UHD Integrated Graphics, 2560x1440 HDR WQHD Display, 16GB LPDDR3 1600 RAM, 1 TB SSD
Lincoln32
Blue Screen Again
Views: 262
Message 74 of 134

They re-imaged the drive with what came out of the box.  Not updated to 1803 yet because I disabled all updates and haven't updated any lenovo firmware as far as I know.  Keeps reinforcing my theory that the combination of Windows major updates and Lenovo tweaks are somehow causing the issues we're all seeing now.  The laptop also seems to run faster off battery than before.  Im not sure if 1803 was released due to SPECTRE/MELTDOWN security vuneralbilities.  I remember reading articles that Windows updates being released would affect performance of single-thread operations up to 20%.  

chadwick17
Token Ring
Views: 257
Message 75 of 134

@Lincoln32 wrote:

They re-imaged the drive with what came out of the box.  Not updated to 1803 yet because I disabled all updates and haven't updated any lenovo firmware as far as I know.  Keeps reinforcing my theory that the combination of Windows major updates and Lenovo tweaks are somehow causing the issues we're all seeing now.  The laptop also seems to run faster off battery than before.  Im not sure if 1803 was released due to SPECTRE/MELTDOWN security vuneralbilities.  I remember reading articles that Windows updates being released would affect performance of single-thread operations up to 20%.  

Thanks for the reply. Might try this over the weekend and see if I have any luck. Definitely didn't have any ghost touching issues for the first couple of months I had this computer in May-July of this year so maybe your theory of it being a software issue is true. 

Does anyone know if Lenovo has officially acknowledged this as an issue?

Lincoln32
Blue Screen Again
Views: 253
Message 76 of 134

NP, keep us posted!

hytekj
Punch Card
Views: 231
Message 77 of 134

I asked a contact at Lenovo whether this is a known issue and they escalated and looked into it. They came back saying there are no open cases and its not a known issue. I would suggest everyone with the issue start opening tickets and asking for escalation. Its worrisome that they don't have this on their radar and there is no comment from anyone at Lenovo in this thread!

jgch
Fanfold Paper
Views: 192
Message 78 of 134

I honestly doubt it, but after reinstalling the latest touch screen firmware manually, the mouse pointer behaves much better. After about a half a day of working with my X1 Yoga, no ghost movements of the mouse pointer :-)

BeamerLED
Punch Card
Views: 161
Message 79 of 134

@Lincoln32 wrote:
... evaluating if it's a "deal breaker" is something only you can determine ...

... I was at my wits end looking for every spec I was looking for ...

Sometimes forums have the adverse effect of only attracting negative thinking ... 

Very true, and for me it is a deal breaker.

I was also at wits end.  There are so many choices out there, and they all have some sort of drawback.  I created a huge spreadsheet to keep things organized, with stuff like specs, price, ports, warranty, etc.  The list became very long, and the X1 Yoga is what I ultimately decided on.

Also very true about forums trending negative.  Nevertheless, when I spend $2,400 on a laptop, I expect it to work.  That is, after all, why I paid that much in the first place.  Even my old $3,500 Dell had some issues, but thankfully they were minor.

chadwick17
Token Ring
Views: 149
Message 80 of 134

Brief Update:

I reset the computer earlier and had it go through the process of 'reinstalling' Windows. I put that in quotes because even if you choose to reset the computer and wipe everything, all current Lenovo and Windows updates are still installed. Did not realize that. Anyway, I've been sketching on it via the Windows Ink Sketchpad app for about the last four hours. I have seen zero ghost touches so far. Makes me think it is a software issue, whereas if it were hardware (faulty screen, loose cable, whatever) you would think that resetting the computer wouldn't make any difference. 

I have not installed any additional software beyond resetting the computer. I have left the scale and layout at 200% since this is what it defaults to initially. I usually have it at 100% or 150% in order to get more 'real estate'. If I don't see any ghost touches for the next 24 hours I'll switch the display scaling from 200% to see if for some reason that is related to the issue.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors