Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
carstenbl
Paper Tape
Views: 309
Message 81 of 134

Re: X1 Yoga Gen 3 Ghost touch

I'd guess this is 100% a hardware issue. I can force the ghost touches by picking the laptop up and moving it around.

BeamerLED
Punch Card
Views: 298
Message 82 of 134

@carstenbl wrote:

I'd guess this is 100% a hardware issue. I can force the ghost touches by picking the laptop up and moving it around.

That is my suspicion as well.  If I pick up the laptop with one hand and tap the body (screen, base, doesn't matter where), I can pretty much always count on seeing some ghost clicks.  If I get more than one at a time (I've seen up to six at once), they always occur in a vertical column, but that column can be pretty much anywhere on the screen.  Obviously, this is forcing the issue, but I also get them during normal usage from more gentle movements, although less frequently.

For what it's worth, I also feel like firmware could probably fix this problem.  Maybe they need to turn down the sensitivity, or put in place a minimum touch time to actually activate a click.  Just a guess, but I imagine that the ghost clicks are very short in duration, essentially noise, whereas a legit human touch will be in the tens of milliseconds.  Something like that should be easy to filter out.

Lastly, an update.  I reflashed the firmware (the one on the Lenovo site from Sept 3rd).  Sadly, and as expected, nothing improved.

chadwick17
Token Ring
Views: 273
Message 83 of 134

@BeamerLED wrote:

@carstenbl wrote:

That is my suspicion as well.  If I pick up the laptop with one hand and tap the body (screen, base, doesn't matter where), I can pretty much always count on seeing some ghost clicks.  If I get more than one at a time (I've seen up to six at once), they always occur in a vertical column, but that column can be pretty much anywhere on the screen.  Obviously, this is forcing the issue, but I also get them during normal usage from more gentle movements, although less frequently.

For what it's worth, I also feel like firmware could probably fix this problem.  Maybe they need to turn down the sensitivity, or put in place a minimum touch time to actually activate a click.  Just a guess, but I imagine that the ghost clicks are very short in duration, essentially noise, whereas a legit human touch will be in the tens of milliseconds.  Something like that should be easy to filter out.

Lastly, an update.  I reflashed the firmware (the one on the Lenovo site from Sept 3rd).  Sadly, and as expected, nothing improved.

This is interesting because since I reset my computer earlier this afternoon I have not seen any ghost touches. In tablet mode while sketching, picking it up/moving it around, using it as a traditional laptop, etc. Nothing. Normally I would see them pretty often (and in a vertical pattern like you mentioned, but always about an inch and half from the right side of the screen). Granted, I could (and somewhat pessimistically am expecting to) see them reappear at some point, however, I would think if the issue is hardware, wouldn't they show up right away? I haven't had any hardware switched in my computer; just a simple reset and wipe of Windows.

ThinkPad X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, i7-8650U, Intel 620 UHD Integrated Graphics, 2560x1440 HDR WQHD Display, 16GB LPDDR3 1600 RAM, 1 TB SSD
BeamerLED
Punch Card
Views: 265
Message 84 of 134

Hmmmm, I might have to try a good old fashioned wipe and reinstall after all.  Probably won't have time until next week, though.  I already got rid of the insane sleep battery drain problem, so also killing this problem would be great.

hytekj
Punch Card
Views: 257
Message 85 of 134

@BeamerLED wrote:

Hmmmm, I might have to try a good old fashioned wipe and reinstall after all.  Probably won't have time until next week, though.  I already got rid of the insane sleep battery drain problem, so also killing this problem would be great.

how did you resolve the sleep battery drain?

psierak
Blue Screen Again
Views: 252
Message 86 of 134

I also have the sleep battery drain problem.. I fixed it by hibernating. 

I also fixed my touch screen issue... by disabling the touch screen.

Lol... 

BeamerLED
Punch Card
Views: 248
Message 87 of 134

@hytekj wrote:

how did you resolve the sleep battery drain?

I installed every update that Lenovo Vantage had available, then BAM the problem was gone.  I wish I knew which one it was, but I'll never know for sure (though I suspect it was the Thunderbolt one).  Now my drain is only 0.4% per hour instead of 5.1% per hour.  Six days of good sleep so far, and I hope it stays that way!

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/modern-standby-fix-for-thinkpad-X1-yoga-gen3/...

Epitor
Fanfold Paper
Views: 220
Message 88 of 134

I did a reboot over a two months ago and the issues returned even worse and more consistent than before. I finally got around to calling it in and just sent the unit out to Lenovo for repair this week. Currently the status is "part not in stock". Sounds like they are replacing a major part, like the LCD itslef. We will soon see.

chadwick17
Token Ring
Views: 210
Message 89 of 134

@Epitor wrote:

I did a reboot over a two months ago and the issues returned even worse and more consistent than before. I finally got around to calling it in and just sent the unit out to Lenovo for repair this week. Currently the status is "part not in stock". Sounds like they are replacing a major part, like the LCD itslef. We will soon see.

Unfortunately, I have seen the issue return as well tonight. I wouldn't say it is any better or worse than it was before I reset the computer. It is definitely worse than the first few months that I had the computer. It seems to be triggered when flipping the lid open or rotating into tablet mode. I also can occasionally trigger it when I tap on the bezel around the screen. It is always in the same spot, though; about an inch and a half from the right side of the screen somewhere (usually at the top or bottom). Really disappointed at the moment.

ThinkPad X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, i7-8650U, Intel 620 UHD Integrated Graphics, 2560x1440 HDR WQHD Display, 16GB LPDDR3 1600 RAM, 1 TB SSD
Epitor
Fanfold Paper
Views: 201
Message 90 of 134

Mine started in consistent upper and lower right locations, but then it morphed into a more random occurrence at multiple locations. After catching up on previous posts, I have low expectations this repair is going to solve everything. I hope I am positively surprised.

I too so far have been only disappointed with this $3000 purchase.

Top Kudoed Authors