Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stj5353
Blue Screen Again
Views: 616
Message 1 of 16

X1 Yoga Gen 4 (2019) HDR 4k Screen Red Bias

I just acquired a new X1 Yoga (i7, 16GB, HDR 4k Display, 1TB) and wanted to share my experience. The screen is great but far from balanced. Coming from Dell XPS 15 4k display, and viewing side by side, it's clear the Yoga is far from white. Not enough to be unusable, but very much red tinted when you're used to a good wihte. The picture attached does not do it justice but they are set to very similar brightness levels and the best color calibration I can get from both.

Lenovo vantage is installed and I have tried to play with calibration settings and profiles but have yet to find one that can correct what seems to be a consequence of the display pixel profile. 

Has anyone else dealt with this yet? I'm borderline returning as defective for another system since I use this for photography. I also can notice the tint when most might not. I'd love to keep the system, it's a great form factor. I feel like it's working as designed but not able to reproduce the right color temperature for white. 

Thanks for any suggestions.

*Edited to add another image of Word in full screen. It's difficult to show via a phone camera, but the rose colored hue is very clear.

20190804_183909.jpg

20190804_140018.jpg

kwjones00
Fanfold Paper
Views: 544
Message 2 of 16

Re: X1 Yoga Gen 4 (2019) HDR 4k Screen Red Bias

I just got my yoga gen 4 today. After the initial setup my screen had a red tint just like yours. Even worse, when I turned on Play HDR games and Apps, my screen turned into a dark red and bloody mess. I played around with the color profile and management to try to improve the image and realized that in doing so, I had broken Dolby Vision, at least in Netflix.

So to fix my error, I did a system reset (while keeping my files). Lo and behold after the system reset, the red tint went away completely. And now the Play HDR actually functions as well. Something must’ve gone wrong in the initial setup and driver install that was resolved with the reset.

If if you’re still having your issue, I suggest trying a system reset and seeing if that resolves it for you.

kwjones00
Fanfold Paper
Views: 522
Message 3 of 16

Update: I got back to my office this morning and noticed that the Yoga's screen is still pretty red/warm by comparison to my office monitor. I think I'd just gotten used to it, plus it's less noticeable when the brightness is up higher (since I had it plugged in). I have to decide if I'm okay with getting used to it or if it's not for me. I like just about everything else about it except for some odd behavior with wifi after sleep. I noticed that when it wakes up from sleep, my wifi speed is significantly slower (around 20 mpbs) until I disconnect and then reconnect to the same network (then it's 250 mpbs!). That's wierd, right? I had a C930 for a couple weeks and that did the same thing. 

kwjones00
Fanfold Paper
Views: 508
Message 4 of 16

Yeah this is definitely still an issue for me. I'm adding a couple pictures I took this morning. This is a comparison of the 4k Yoga Gen 4 against the Surface Pro 6, with both displays at 40% brightness. The Yoga's display is noticeably both darker and red tinted.  It would be great to know whether my device is faulty and I should try to get a replacement, or if this just is what it is.

kwjones00
Fanfold Paper
Views: 507
Message 5 of 16

And one more comparison. The second picture shows the Surface Pro 6 at 40% brigntess against the Yoga at 100% brightness but with "Play HDR Games and Apps" clicked On. Again, the Yoga is much darker and redder than I would anticipate.

Does anyone have any thoughts/guidance? Should I try to get a replacement?

ThinkOperator
Fanfold Paper
Views: 494
Message 6 of 16

kwjones00
Fanfold Paper
Views: 486
Message 7 of 16

Thanks. I'm going to give this a shot and will report back. Appreciate your help.

stj5353
Blue Screen Again
Views: 484
Message 8 of 16

Thanks for this suggestion. I'll give it a try also. I hate that we have to do this with brand new devices. What happened to spending money for something that just works?

kwjones00
Fanfold Paper
Views: 481
Message 9 of 16

Tell me about it. Can you let me know if you're able to follow the steps and get it to work? I unistalled the Lenovo Display Optimizer and then un-installed and reinstalled the Intel display driver, but I can't seem to reinstall the Lenovo Display Optimizer from Lenovo's website. 

It says it's installed and tells me to restart, but after I restart I can't find the program anywhere. 

Darkone
Punch Card
Views: 471
Message 10 of 16

Adding this here too, i am the one who wrote on reddit.

The lenovo display optimizer that is hosted on lenovos official page is broken, i've reported it but it appears we're being ignored.

I found someone else hosting a working version of the driver that will install and works properly with Vantage updates etc but i can't find that original link anymore so i'm hosting it for you here: https://darkone.network/stuff/LenovoDisplayOptimizerSetup.exe

Remember to not randomly just install exe's from strangers on internet forums, you have my word this is a working version of lenovo display optimizer, but please make routine that you scan this exe with virustotal.com before you do anything.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors