TW

8 Signins

61 Page Views

• Views: 61
  • Message 1 of 4

X1 Yoga Gen1, PWM Frequency and eye strain

2018-08-09, 16:00 PM

Hi there,

I own an X1 Yoga since 2016. I am fairly happy about the machine but i seem to have a serious problem with the display. As a matter of fact, since day 1 the display was prone to make my eyes very tired. At the beginning i thought it was a Windows 10 display (QHD on maximum settings) setting issue (scaling, specifically). But even after successive iterations of Windows 10 solved that issue (scaling looks fine now), i kept having the problem.

It starts with a growing pain to both eyes, which then get all red and with the veins showing clearly. I have been to hospital twice to try to fix it and the problem persists also after i take proper medicines etc. if i use the PC again.

I am wondering what the PWM frequency is on these machines because some places report no PWM and others report PWMs in the range of 250/270 (extremely low for a system that i paid about 2000 Euros). Does anyone have similar issues? Is there any solution?

As is, i basically can't use the machine and i do need to use it daily but it's getting impossible due to persistent irritation. Things improve a bit only if i set brightness on 100% but often that is too much for my needs.

Thanks in advance for any help.

R.

Options

46 Posts

11-13-2013

CA

50 Signins

617 Page Views

• Views: 617
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: X1 Yoga Gen1, PWM Frequency and eye strain

2018-08-10, 5:32 AM

I do believe I can see subtle flicker from my OLED display when there are other 60 or 120 Hz lights operating above.  

What power settings are you using for the display?

I have seen reports of eye strain because the PWM is such a low frequency but I find my eyes love the screen. I never need to run more then 50% brightness. I do have most if not all of the power saving "features" turned off such as auto panel refresh. I have a Gen II but it is the same display.

Options

2 Posts

08-17-2016

TW

8 Signins

61 Page Views

• Views: 61
  • Message 3 of 4

2018-08-13, 2:29 AM
Thanks for your reply TheSteve. My display is not the OLED. However i found out that if i watch it for 30 mins or so my eyes start aching really bad. If i shift to my Acer VN7 (17" screen) the problem goes altogether, unless the eyes are already so red that any display further irritates them. I had 3 eyes checks and the doctor said the eyes are perfectly healthy. Lenovo should answer but they don't seem much interested in the issue. Also, i believe they change small specs from one generation to the other, without saying the user. I am very happy about my Gen I but this issue is really a dealbreaker.
Options

46 Posts

11-13-2013

CA

50 Signins

617 Page Views

• Views: 617
  • Message 4 of 4

2018-08-13, 3:30 AM
There should be 0 flicker with the regular IPS screen. Perhaps the hardware backlight driver in your screen is defective or there is a software driver problem. I've seen no reports of of any flicker for anything other then the OLED screen.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save